Olive Oil -- It's Here, It's Here!

Sad to see the thread started by Bob since he won’t get to enjoy a new batch of olive oil. He was so excited by a simple pleasure.

Miss you, you old curmudgeon.

I was at The District in Irvine - pallets and pallets. I had been out for 45 days as well and had been checking weekly. Won’t happen next year.

Given the various plagues that Italian olive growers have suffered, and a 35% drop in crop size in 2014, the price is surprising. Makes you wonder if it’s really made from Italian olives.

Exchange rate might be helping as well. Maybe long term contracts? Costco buyers are shrewd for sure.

How is it labeled? Does is say its made from Tuscan olives? Or only “Pressed in Italy” or “Packed in Italy.”

here is a large image of the KS evoo bottle with DOP seal attesting to origin, etc. (image will enlarge when clicked)

Sure looks like Tuscan. (I’m assuming the current vintage reads the same way.)

I keep waiting for the promised price rise in olive oil, but I continue to find good deals even in Italian oils.

The Presidents Reserve at Trader Joe’s has jumped 20% recently. I tried their 2014 unfiltered Novello and it is very good.

Since this thread was bumped I have been checking every time I go to Costco – but I have not seen the dated Tuscan oil. In fact what I’ve seen is some dated Spanish olive oil (can’t recall the name, of course it’s Kirkland but there is a designation) and I bought a bottle but haven’t gotten around to trying it yet.

I have a feeling it will be pretty good but I still want the Tuscan stuff. Are people seeing that in the northeast NY-NJ-CT area?

picked a 2014 harvest up at Costco in Syracuse a week or 2 ago.

Not everyone has to love Costco!

Same here in Houston. Caved and bought the Spanish this weekend, but have not tried it yet.

I bought two 2014 liters yesterday.

The Spanish oil is D.O.P. Siurana, made from Arbequina olives. It is outstanding for the price (<$10/liter).

Doing a lot of driving around the country lately. I have seen the Spanish in Michigan,and the Tuscan seems to be in the Illinois and Ohio Costcos.

Unless they are hiding it from me, the Lincoln Park Costco has nothing but lesser stuff in 2L bottles.

At least I have some Veleta on en route!

The Tuscan wasn’t at the local Cbus Costco today, but the Spanish was so I picked up a couple of bottles to try.

FYI it is the freshest you can get, (Veleta) that is…
We never filter so you’ll notice the cloudy appearance and lots of sediment as it settles… It will clear over time, but it’s perfectly fine just the way it is… Basted eggs with this is pure heaven…

I’m eagerly anticipating it Nola!

LP Costco now stocking the Arbequiña.