Once & Future Release - March 20th

I ordered a sixer of the Mataro. Some of my favorite wine are Bandols–but I usually try to put some age on them. Any idea how the Mataro will age or if it should be cellared? Starting to build a nice vertical of the Petite Sirah.

Mixed case while still in the stockpiling phase for O&F, no uncorking yet.

Ykwon:I did a quick google search on the artist and I’m guessing it’s the old ravenswood logo with JP’s autograph.

Actually David Goines did both the Ravenswood poster and the Once and future poster. This poster is the New Once and Future poster with my (JP’s) autograph. Thanks, Joel

Hi Josh, I can’t honestly tell you how the Mataro will age. I really don’t have any experience with this vineyard from the deep past. I can tell you that the 2016 vintage has produced a very balanced wine that has the hallmarks of a wine that will evolve nicely, based on my experience with wines I have made in the past. I have been opening up wines from the 90’s decade made in the same way this one was that have been quite satisfying.

Have to pass this release (and a few others for the next few months) after buying a house…living vicariously through everyone else’s orders right now

Joel - Is the O&F Old Vine Bedrock Vineyard zin mixed with any field blends?

It will be interesting to taste this along with Morgan’s 2016 Bedrock Heritage which,a s I recall, is 50% zinfandel and 50% other.

I have zero room for new bottles and have been told to stop buying.

A half case (3 Mataro, 3 PS) qualifies as not buying, right? Very little Mataro in my cellar, so I couldn’t pass it up entirely. I’ve never had a bad bottle of Palisades PS from any winemaker (Mending Wall is particularly good), so one from JP is also too hard to skip.

Yes there are some. The wine is about 15% to 20% Mixed blacks. I take blocks that are legally Zinfandel by vine count. Morgan concentrates on the more mixed heritage blocks.

You won’t be disappointed in your non purchase. :slight_smile: The PS was showing very well against the competition at the PS I Love You Tasting last weekend. The Mataro is excellent. I am pretty sure it will take up very little space.

Technically, anything less than or equal to a full case + poster qualifies as not buying.

I’m in for one bottle of everything except the Oakley Road Zin. I have to restrain my wine buying.

Sent email hoping to add to order

Does anyone know why the PS is more expensive than the Zins? More expensive fruit?

This

I would guess that is correct. Napa Valley = more expensive fruit

First time buyer. Order in for 1 each of the Zins, +1 Merlot, +2 Mataro

Yep, that would be correct. Almost twice as expensive.

If you seek the world’s finest PS, however, Napa (Palisades, Hayne, Library …) is difficult to avoid!

In for:

• 2 Oakley Zin
  • 2 Bedrock Zin
  • 3 Teldeschi Zin
  • 2 Forcini Zin
  • 1 Merlot

Had the 2014 Bedrock Zin maybe 6-8 weeks ago. A bit “flat” for lack of a better term. Very muted fruit, not showing well at all. Not horrible by any stretch, but quite different from Bedrock’s version of the same. Not sure if a bad bottle or if the wine is just going thru a phase. Have two more bottles so will try again in 9-12 months. Bottle of the 2015 Teldeschi last week was a real treat. Complex wine, great fruit, hints of cedar(?), long finish. Think it will get better with some more time in bottle.

Still Napa, but York Creek must be mentioned.