Our annual Maui excursion with Champagne

That’s a good call. Out of a case, I’m usually packing white, champagne, and at most 1-2 bottles of a chillable red for pairing’s sake.

2002 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Cuvée Rare - France, Champagne (4/18/2021)
This was my best bottle yet. It was like stepping into a pastry shop, with sweet brioche and orange creme. Long finish, nice balance and bead. I’m happy to have a few more, and I’ll backfill if the opportunity arises.
9FC58D93-FCDC-41B4-B27F-F89C842A681B.jpeg
2012 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Rosé Emotion - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (4/19/2021)
We needed something to pair with both meat and fish, and this did the trick. Rich, dense, electrifying and delicious. One of my favorite wines.
9D4896B2-01E5-402D-8DD8-35D0CF17DDDF.jpeg

5 Likes

2006 Philipponnat Champagne Cuvée 1522 Rosé - France, Champagne (4/19/2021)
A good bottle. More savory than my last bottle two years ago. Amber copper colored. I’ve never mentioned kumquat in a tasting note, but they were here. Fun start to the night, paired well with a winning game of euchre.
0E64F61E-D825-4C80-9730-C91C3752A7F3.jpeg
43F6D5D1-DE0B-47CF-9A15-F506EBCE70F6.jpeg
2004 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (4/19/2021)
2004 Comtes has become addictive. It’s really entered a beautiful drinking window, although I don’t think it has reached its apogee. Brioche (although not as much as the 2002 Piper Heidsieck last night which must have robbed a French pastry shop). Nice combination of citrus and orchard fruit with the spectacular Comtes mouthfeel.
F5CB2EE1-4BEC-44B6-A0BD-9737E17700C8.jpeg

2 Likes

Great line up!

This is my favorite thread right now on WB. Looks like an amazing trip and keeps on getting better with more Champagne!

Warren, when you’re opening up these bottles (I see you mostly brought vintage Champagne on your trip with a few NVs sprinkled in), are you PnP or letting them breathe for a bit?

1 Like

Adam,
Mostly PnP. For the ones we’re bringing to restaurants, I’ll sometimes have them opened but not poured until the entree.
The wines we’ve drunk in the condo have probably suffered more from the thick glasses with prominent rims more so than a lack of air. I’ve never been able to find decent wine glasses on any of the Hawaiian islands. My friend Jenise who travels here with wine had to resort to buying bejeweled glasses last time she was here! I’ll figure out a way to bring my own next time. 1st world problems; I’m so thankful to be vaccinated, and able to eat and drink like an emperor in Paradise.
Cheers,
Warren

2 Likes

Warren,
What have been your favorite restaurants and which one(s) are you most looking forward to in Maui with all that great bubbly?
Mahalo,
Tom

Tom,
Since our friends’ timeshare is in Ka-anapali, nearby restaurants are the main ones I know on the island. I’m sure others could comment more broadly on fine dining in Maui.
For this side of the island, we’ve always liked Merrimans. They were booked this time when we made our restaurant reservations a month ago.
Last night, we had a great experience at a new place for us; Cane & Canoe, in the Montage Hotel. The grounds, view and atmosphere were worth the visit, but the food was also excellent. We drank cocktails plus my Comte, but their wine list might be my favorite on the Island. $35 corkage.
On previous visits, we really liked Gerards. This time, they fell flat. None of us liked our meals, they didn’t allow corkage (which is fine with me as long as there’s a good wine list. Theirs was uninspired; some overpriced pearls to get them a Wine Spectator award. I settled for a dull but benign Sancerre which incidentally wasn’t the vintage or producer listed on the wine list.
I really like Star Noodle in Lahaina. It’s great food although not a fine dining experience. Their service is too good, and I always feel rushed, like they’re trying to get you in and out in 40 minutes. We didn’t go this time as they are shellfish-heavy and my wife is allergic.
Right down the path from us is Leilani’s On The Beach. Nothing fancy, but great fresh fish and $20 corkage.
On previous visits, we’ve had several great meals at Mala Ocean Tavern and Hanu, both in Lahaina. I heard they have a new owner, but suspect they’re still good.
While it’s a chain, we had a great meal a few nights ago at Roys. $35 corkage, and our courses were outstanding.
Monkeypod Kitchen has been good and unpretentious. Not a wine place.
We’ve never been to Mama’s Fish House, but I’ve heard it’s one of if not the best on the island.
I’m sure there are some posts here on WB that do Maui dining more justice.
Cheers!
Warren

3 Likes

Thanks Warren.

I know it wasn’t the proper forum to post the question, but was curious as to your experiences.

We’ve been to many of those restaurants.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Tom

1 Like

Roy’s is great! Haven’t had it in ages though.

I just reread my post from last year’s trip. That one was cut short in March, 2020, when life as we knew it suddenly changed, and we fled our vacation paradise to an uncertain future. I remember a very ill looking father trying to buy a thermometer in the gift shop as we left, and a woman coughing uncontrollably at the airport gate while everyone gave her sympathetic but fearful glances from a distance. I was thinking “this is going to be a scary and interesting few months”, and here we are, more than a year later. I’m thankful we’re healthy and back to some semblance of our previous life. My life is so different now, but mostly better. I burned out at work by autumn, and needed to reassess my life. I wound up quitting my stressful administrative position, started meditating and later practicing yoga, and dropped to 4 days work a week rather than the 5-7 day 60-100 hour work weeks that had seemed normal for decades. My life is much better, and I’ll be thankful for every day.

Cheers,
Warren

6 Likes

Just seeing this for the 1st time in 4 days. Great thread Warren. I think apart from the amazing line-up of bottles is everyone living vicariously through your ability to travel (& travel well).
Love some of those bottles too. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Slight thread drift. More bottles planned tonight.
5FDA89B9-C699-4D70-88AC-D18B74963EC7.jpeg

6 Likes

Do you find the wines affected at all by the air travel? Always wondered if the temp/pressure changes might cause a change in taste. We have a tripped planned to The Big Island this fall and looking to bring a couple bottles of champagne.

Looking forward to you notes on the rest of the lineup!

Napoleon,

In the past, I discounted travel shock. I think it was Sarah Kirschbaum who disagreed, and specifically mentioned champagne. This week, we’re drinking wines that I’ve also sampled in recent weeks, and I think she was right. I believe they do lose a little of their vitality, but not enough to me to change my wine packing ways. A fantastic wine is still fantastic after a bumpy ride, but not quite what it might have been without a trip in baggage. That said, the ‘02 Piper Heidsieck Cuvèe Rare was the best example of the wine I’ve had, and I’ve drunk almost a case. I guess the answer is probably yes with some exceptions? How’s that for waffling!
Cheers,
Warren

My wife and I debated the other night whether this showed a little apparent sweetness, but decided it was just an extra dimension of fruit (passionfruit maybe?). Anyway we loved it too. Has lots of character

1 Like

We’ve eaten at all of those places except Roys and Gerards …and yes, Mama’s is the best, but a bit touristy. There are two tables you’ll want to try to get…Also, Paia Fish Market for something casual, but exceptionally fresh - fish quality is as good as anything on the island. Hali’imaile General Store is pretty good.

-mark

2 Likes

2009 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée
Disgorged April 2016, 80% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, and the Chardonnay flavors dominate right now. A bottle six months ago was tight and acerbic, but this is starting to come around. The nose is still reserved, but the palate delivers Vilmart density and crispy creaminess (maybe they should copyright that with K’s). Orchard fruit and lime cream. Long finish. This should be even more amazing in a few years
Addendum: Wow, this needs air and warmth. The nose stayed tight, but the mouthfeel and flavors really blossomed.
IMG_9861.jpeg
IMG_9862.jpeg
NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne Grand Siècle
I think this was the '02, '04 and '06 blend. The cork was stamped A81GF, which I believe signifies disgorgement during the first quarter (A) of 2018 (81 being an inverted 18). They’ve since eliminated the secret codes and labeled each iteration clearly. These are always a blend of three vintages, and always very good. Of all the champagnes I drink, these seem to need the most time. This bottle was delicious but still painfully young. Orange peel and citrus, ginger; full bodied yet reticent. Refined and complex. I keep drinking these then writing “wait several years”. For me, experience is the ability to recognize my mistakes as I repeat them.
IMG_9863.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg
IMG_9865.jpeg

Warren Taranow wrote:
I just reread my post from last year’s trip. That one was cut short in March, 2020, when life as we knew it suddenly changed, and we fled our vacation paradise to an uncertain future. I remember a very ill looking father trying to buy a thermometer in the gift shop as we left, and a woman coughing uncontrollably at the airport gate while everyone gave her sympathetic but fearful glances from a distance. I was thinking “this is going to be a scary and interesting few months”, and here we are, more than a year later. I’m thankful we’re healthy and back to some semblance of our previous life. My life is so different now, but mostly better. I burned out at work by autumn, and needed to reassess my life. I wound up quitting my stressful administrative position, started meditating and later practicing yoga, and dropped to 4 days work a week rather than the 5-7 day 60-100 hour work weeks that had seemed normal for decades. My life is much better, and I’ll be thankful for every day.

Apologies for a little thread drift here. Great post, Warren. As much as I am enjoying the posts and pictures of your trip and of Maui, this particular post really resonated with me. I am glad you were able to reassess where you were in life and have come out better. Regarding yoga, I started practicing yoga 11 years ago and it was one of the best decisions in my life. It really helped me in dealing with many life and work events. Enjoy the rest of the trip and keep posting!

Ed

1 Like

We really like Aloha Mixed plates for great food and a cool venue, not sure if they allow corkage.

1 Like