Our annual Maui excursion with Champagne

I am with Ed here, I honestly would like to know a little bit more about Warren’s life decisions in the last year though of course I recognized this post may not be the most appropriate place for that.

1 Like

I love this thread. Champagne in Maui sounds so perfect

1 Like

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 160eme at Mala Ocean Tavern
Savory and autolytic, but still young to my palate. I like the GC with a lot of age. 2004 based, with reserves back to 1990. Orchard fruit, ginger. Very vinous. Repeating the prevailing theme for all of the wines this week, it improved and opened dramatically with air and warmth.
DB79C685-D75B-4F7C-84AD-E8779E533784.jpeg

2007 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon
A big step up from the delicious NV. Light salmon pink. Pinot and Chardonnay notes. Orange zest and lemon, orchard fruit and strawberries. It’s still a baby, substantial yet elegant now. I really like this wine. I can’t wait to try the 2008.
2032061A-BA5B-4368-BFCF-B5A5D1FAF7F2.jpeg

You cast a long shadow Warren. Great pic

1 Like

My bad, no photo.
2009 Dom Pérignon Champagne

Rich and full bodied (the wine, not the tourists at the resort). Complex and precocious. Citrus melange, floral scents, biscuits and cream. Another wine that I need to slow my consumption and enjoy its evolution in the future.

Concur. Awesome pic. Terrific wines. But I will agree with the other posters, that seeing you talk about the rebalancing of your life, Warren, is the part of the thread that makes me happiest to read. I’ve been on a 3 or 4-day workweek for about a decade now and my life has been immeasurably better because of it. And yes, I am thankful and feel lucky that my profession (in-house legal) and my clientele allow this to happen.

Jenise and Bob are good friends–with you being located in Pacific Northwest I shouldn’t be surprised that you know her.

Mahalo for all the great notes.

Mike

1 Like

Warren Taranow wrote:
2007 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon
A big step up from the delicious NV. Light salmon pink. Pinot and Chardonnay notes. Orange zest and lemon, orchard fruit and strawberries. It’s still a baby, substantial yet elegant now. I really like this wine. I can’t wait to try the 2008.

Loving this thread, and I need to try this, as we love the Billecart NV Rose’. champagne.gif

Ed

Thanks Mike. I didn’t know that; small (wine) world!
Cheers
Warren

NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé
This is one of my, if not my favorite NV Rosè Champagne. It was the perfect choice to bring to the restaurant where a variety foods were enjoyed. It’s very vinous; dense but energetic. Great fruit and spice flavors. Once again, this screamed for more time in the bottle, but showed well in its youth.
34845A05-A6C8-49B5-BF89-FB802F39E6E6.jpeg
One night to go, with one bottle left. Stay tuned for 2009 Cristal at Honu.

Cheers,
Warren

2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut
This has it all; structure, texture, cut and finesse despite the warm vintage. There is a kaleidoscope of citrus, orchard, floral and autolytic scents and flavors if you focus, but it’s better to simply relax and enjoy it instead of dissecting its elements.

It’s been a great nine days on the island. We were lucky to have perfect weather, glorious beach and hiking days, great meals, and this parade of fine wines. The quote on my signature has rarely been more apropos.

Cheers,
Warren
8210D6F9-9880-434E-9738-2DA00EE1960D.jpeg
9FCCEAB7-F951-412B-B287-FCB55B32DB64.jpeg

Wow!

I appreciate the time/effort/and beautiful tasting efforts!

I love that island. My first time there I tried to swim to Molokai and ended un on Lania.

All champagnes taste better in Hawaii.

1 Like

They actually have some gems on their list, good Riesling and one of my favorite Rose’s in the world, the Ameztoi Rubentis.

Eric,
Coincidentally, I ordered the Ameztoi Rubentis, but they were sold out! I had to “settle” for the Arnot Roberts Touriga Nacional Rosé, which was really good.
Cheers,
Warren

Oh wow, sorry. I was there 9 days ago and had a couple of glasses of the rose. Maybe I killed it?