Outpost Pre-Release

This is easy pass at these prices

Good point, Jeb appears to have re-tasted quite a few wines in the recent update to his website. Too bad to hear about smoke taint in some of the 2018s. Iā€™ll be passing I believe. Need to save some cash for Realm, and a few others this spring, such as Rivers Marie chardonnay/pinot, and Scarecrow.

2019ā€™s released this morning.
Sad that theyā€™ve gotten themselves embroiled in smoke-taint questions regarding the 2018s. I bought their '18s because we visited that fall but havenā€™t tasted any of them.

Their Immigrant is still one of my favorite bottles out of Napa. I bought this among others, but am disappointed Outpost hasnā€™t released the 19 Immigrantā€™s blending percentages. Usually 40% Cab, 30% Merlot, 30% CabFranc (approximately).
*Edit- I missed the blend %, Outpost lists it in the purchase description- 45% Cab, 25% Merlot, 30% CF.

After reading how they handled smoke tainted bottles in a different thread and that story also being corroborated with several othersā€™ experience, Iā€™m choosing not to support Outpost going forward.

My purchases from them were few and far between, but with how much good wine is out there, I want to make sure my business goes to those truly deserving of it and to those whom treat clients right by standing by their product.

100 pointer for $175? No brainer purchase for me. Love the wines.

After the sale to ā€œThe Man?ā€ I have too much wine to buy so dropping a winery that sells to a conglomerate is an easy choice. I can still get all that I need from other wineries, so I stopped buying Outpost even though we really like the Zins. I can get TRB Zins from Black Sears.

This, and: I opened what turned out to be an off bottle, way off as in spoiled, of the 2012 if I recall correctly. It was last spring. Telephoned Outpost, was referred up the chain of command, had a long discussion about replacing bad wine purchased DTC, received a lot of run-around and argument and denial. it was a very disappointing exchange. I have never experienced such recalcitrance and denial from any winery. I really hate calling about bad bottles, and usually do not, but the very few times that I have, the winery always stood behind their product and replaced it quickly and without issue.Never again with them.

I really enjoy their wines, loved my visits there, been treated very well by them & bought this year.

Wasnā€™t a fan of the following, though-
The rating scores used in their wine descriptions/marketing this year are noted as ā€œhighest critic scoreā€ and not attributed to any specific critic even though quoting LPB & JDā€™s tasting notes at length. Who was the 100 pt critic? Why the mystery if youā€™re attributing tasting notes to LPB & JD? Was it a diff critic? Did they bring in Total Wineā€™s internal critic? Sounds like corporate marketing BS when handled this way.

I just want to second this post and buy Mending Wall every year since they started. Outpost, as a new Consellation Brand winery, is an easy pass this year and beyond. I purchased their 18ā€™s, but no longer. Itā€™s good wine, but there are MANY others out there (who are not Constellation).

1 Like

I certainly can understand this but almost every list Iā€™m on when the release goes out quotes the highest score and never the lowest score. Itā€™s certainly not something only Outpost does and they tell you who rated it so itā€™s not like they are hiding it.

Iā€™d lead off with a 100 point score too if I had one.

1 Like

Jeb gave it a 99. When I read the email I thought they both had given it 100. I agree, why not just show both scores?

Glad to have tasted it this fall and have a couple in the cellar.

1 Like

Very much agree with you that they should shout that 100 point score from the rooftops! Itā€™s an honor, a big deal, and a huge selling point.
I just wanted to know WHO gave their True Vineyard Cabernet that 100 pt score and thought it odd that Outpost credited LPB and Jeb for their tasting notes but credited no one for the 100pt score. Outpostā€™s True Vineyard Cabs are massive, rich, fabulous wines so itā€™s not a surprise one would garner 100pts especially in a primo vintage like '19, just tell us who it is.

The tasting note at the top of the page was from a barrel sample that LPB scored 97-100. I donā€™t think the wine actually has a final score of 100 from any critic.

[media] no[/media]

What were your thoughts when tasted this fall?

I donā€™t know if Matt Denny is on this board, but I once had a corked bottle of Becklyn. I contacted Matt and after a brief exchange, he wanted to remedy the situation. Not only did he replace the bottle, he upgraded the bottle and got it out free of charge as soon as temps were safe.

I was blown away and by that single interaction, he now has a customer for life. I will proudly recommend Becklyn not only because of the great QPR, but because there is a person behind the label whom cares deeply about their customers and their brand. Matt gets it.

Outpost seems to be at odds with everything I posted above.

Iā€™m with you.
I still get the emails but no longer buy.

[/quote]
What were your thoughts when tasted this fall?
[/quote]

I forgot my tasting journal, so used their paper, which Iā€™ve since thrown out.

We were poured the ā€˜17 and ā€˜18 estate, and from memory enjoyed both as modern, but not over the top. I noted a bit of smokiness on the ā€˜18, but to my palate that day/memory it came off more similar to a smoky syrah than an ashtray.

Knowing about JD review in ā€˜18 (which outpost disagrees with), and already having stocked up well I on the vintage we opted to purchase the ā€˜19 estate untasted, but was then offered a taste of ā€˜19 True at the end.

I mostly remember the wow factor, a richness and concentration of fruit that impressed, while staying relatively balanced and approachable for a ā€˜19 (canā€™t remember if it was open from the previous day or coravined).

Hope it helps!

Constellation? Did they get sold again? I thought AXA bought them?

1 Like

i was considering buying a few bottles this year (have not in a while). When i logged in they have critics reviews. For True it shows to critic review 100 points. Below i LPB review (it was a barrel sample review with a range) and JD who did not rate it 100. Seemed disingenuous so i opted to keep cash in my wallet

Deleted the email.