Pairing with liver

My point was not about the wine pairing, it was about the fact that the wine referenced in the book is Amarone. I think they changed it in the movie because they were afraid nobody would know what Amarone was.

1 Like

Liver how
It is served in a trillionbillion ways
Also not raw

It’s a regional food and wine pairing from the Veneto, which is a nice touch.

That’s interesting! Thomas Harris must’ve done his research :slight_smile:

im gonna go a different direction here and say I normally pair liver (and pate) with a riesling with a little bit of RS.

My pairing here is about classic beef (or better calves) liver with onions, Lyonnaise, bacon optional.

I’m going with sturdy, maybe slightly rough red.

First though Zinfandel.
Amarone makes sense, although not for me because I don’t like the stuff.
Young Cabernet, but not too polite and not a Napa ooze monster. Bordeaux Cru Bourgeois or maybe Alexander Valley or Washington State.
I’m OK with a young red Rhone, but it’s fourth on my list.

Mich@el, you didn’t ask for cooking advice, but I’m going to give you some anyway.
If it’s calves liver sauteed, sprinkle a bit of ground cumin on it after you turn it.

Enjoy your pairing, whatever you decide.

Dan Kravitz

We didn’t end up doing the liver tonight so I just opened a 2010 Barthod Bons Batons with my sirloin, it was sublime.

1 Like

A white with a little RS and good acidity.
A young Sauternes could work as well. (with the chicken livers, beef, your guess is as good as mine)

I like Rhione varieties. Beaujolais works, too. We’ve played with more fruit forward reds like zin, too, and enjoyed it. I am partial to reds with beef/calf’s liver. With chicken livers we like bubbles or high acid white or Rose.

JD

Wait, is it raw liver? Served on little balls of rice, then dipped in soy sauce and wasabi?

I ended up pairing it with the Barthod Bourgogne I opened yesterday which was fantastic. It was chicken livers btw.

With liver, I always serve fried chicken. You know, so there’s something to eat. ducking and running

1 Like

Wow, it took 7 posts for this one to emerge? :slight_smile:

1 Like

#HaikuFail

Glad I stumbled on this thread. On actual topic, I was planning on trying a rich chicken liver mousse with a Sauternes. Riesling seems like a good possibility to try as well. Edit: and thinking about this a little more, Alsatian Pinot Gris!

So what I’ve gleaned from this thread is that liver pairs with wine.

That’s not an easy concession to get on this board, ironically enough.

Madeira

Face palm missed the reference did you? pileon

Winner. [cheers.gif]

Depending on the style of liver, we either do Grüner or CdP.