Pairing with liver

Umm, no, the reference was hardly obscure. My point was that Harris’s pairing in the book (Amarone) was likely a much better match for a census taker’s liver than the pairing in the movie (Chianti).

Movies are books dumbed down.

Dan Kravitz

I tried champagne too which was nice.

Interesting. That does sound like a good match.

Alcohol and liver are always a tough pairing. The one exception is a light, chalky, tart cru Beaujolais from Chateau Le Serre Osus.

beef liver is a tougher match than chicken liver. Chicken liver w onions in a red wine reduction can be wonderful w aged red Burgundy.

I thought both the 2010 Barthod and veuve Xbxo were great with the chicken liver.

+1 or red Burgundy

Agree that chicken liver isn’t that tough compared to beef liver. Not sure how many people eat the latter, however.

-Al

We butchered a steer and I am going to give the liver a go, I’ve always liked pork liver (usually liver and onions). I may pull a recipe from “Odd Bits” by Jennifer Mclagan.

Thinking a Bedrock something, will report back how it was.

First post and how I stumbled upon WB, googling wine pairings.

5 Likes

Welcome, Brennan! This place is pretty great, you should stick around!

One of the most divine pairings I’ve ever had was chicken liver sauteed with diced Japanese apple-pear (Asian pear) and a JJ Prum Auslese.

2 Likes

Great dish: roasted beef liver with onions and bananas ( in red wine sauce) … I still recommend a mature red CdP with it …

I heard that Milk Thistle is a good pairing with your liver.

For me, the best pairing with beef liver is a garbage can. It’s just not my thing.

Sauternes pairs well with liver

1 Like

That may be true for others, but not for me …
an appropriate red is a must …

We usually serve liver to the dog paired with his kibble and then open whatever we feel like to go with the human food.

1 Like

:laughing: :rofl:

Why would you eat that? :joy: Foie Gras with Sauternes et voila!