Paris 3 Star Michelin Lunch recs

Taillevant has to be the value deal. Not sure how many * they have.

For lunch, this place is WAY cheaper than at night and a singular experience.

Le Taillevent - 1*
110 de Taillevent - Michelin Plate

The only 3 Star I’ve been to in Paris is Guy Savoy, but we had a lovely lunch there several years ago. Very old school compared to other 3 Stars I’ve been to (all in the US). I particularly remember the guinea hen for 2 and a bottle of Rayas. And we got to meet Guy himself.

As Jack Aubrey said: “I’ve always tried to [carve] it exactly as he did ever since.”

How was Inn at Little Washington? It’s the only 3* in the US that I haven’t dined at.

I haven’t been there.

Where’s the sauce? [wow.gif]

i love arpege but if you want to have the platonic ideal of a french 3 star experience i would recommend lunch at epicure. it is perhaps a less interesting option but the room, the food and the service all exude luxury. compared with guy savoy or ledoyen, it also is a much better value.

We just had lunch at Arpège September 25th. It was part of an excursion that included London, Galway, Dublin and Paris. I have written a CellarTracker story describing the trip. Those interested in our Arpège experience can fast-forward to September 25th in the write-up.

Colin [cheers.gif]

Visiting London, Galway, Dublin and Paris

My favorite *** lunches in Paris have been at Guy Savoy and Le Cinq. I’ve had lunch at Ledoyen, but on that day it was a lesser experience.

The ham/truffle pasta dish at Le Cinq may be a mainstay of the menu, but it is one of the best things I have ever eaten. Just fantastic. I found the wine list there to be very varied - cherry “name” burgundies, for example, were crazy expensive, but non-famous, but otherwise known to winos domains were quite reasonable. I.e., don’t buy Roumier. Le Cinq is also one of the most ostentatious restaurant spaces in the city. And lunch can be quiet. Last time I was there it was just the two of us, some Chinese tourists, and some African dictator/potentate/minister (or at least one out of central casting) and his bodyguards.

Guy Savoy - make sure to ask for the lunch menu. I had a mid-80’s Clape there for a reasonable price.

On Inn at Little Washington. I think it deserves the stars, certainly, but the food is definitely presented in an American paradigm. I.e., lots of pleasurable dishes with wide appeal, and perhaps a heavier hand with the sugar (e.g., in sauces) than I would prefer. Not to say that everything is sweet - but there is no doubt that there seem to be a lot of savory dishes with a sweet component. Dishes tend to be on the more conservative side of creative. The wine list is fairly good. Not to NYC level, but certainly the best wine list in Virginia or DC. It is a great place to visit otherwise and the Inn itself is fantastic.

Did it live up to your expectations? Please post some pics if you would.

Kris,

It did on the food side, but not the service side. Wine in the middle, as the somm selected some nice wines by the glass that paired well with the dishes (sorry, don’t remember the wines), but pricey (expected).

I do have pictures of the dishes, but don’t know how to post those pictures here.

If someone shows me how, be happy to. The only sharing site they are on is Shutterfly and on my computer and iPhone.

Tom

Charlie Fu would have loved this one at Arpege. See#18
Entire meal, including desert was Asparagus based

Brilliant, this man is a genius- asparagus sushi

I have met some of his sous-chefs and they relate that he is one of few great chefs that makes a great effort to teach. This is showing up based on some of the work of his students who have started their own restaurants.

MENU ASPERGE
MARS 2020

Transparence d’Asperge fleurie à l’huile d’olive de l’Alentejo
parmigiano reggiano

Sushi d’Asperge au parfum de feuille de laurier
riz Tsuyahime du Japon

Tartare de coquille Saint Jacques aux asperges croquantes
ail frais thermidrome

Asperge verte des Roques Hautes acidulée au kiwi
fenouil

Fines ravioles potagères d’Asperge
eau d’asperge

Asperge rôtie au beurre salé au pomelos rose
caillé de lait de chèvre

Velouté d’Asperge blanc ivoire
raifort

Asperge blanche du domaine d’Uza
sauce hollandaise au citron de Fès

Asperge meunière à l’œuf mollet fumé
poivre noir Sarawak

Asperge « enrhubarbée »
éclats de bonbon berlingot

Le Cinq and Epicure are my two choices for lunch or dinner. Dinner at Epicure a couple weeks ago was as great an evening as you could ever want. Caviar on whipped potatoes and haddock, Foie gras and black truffle stuffed macaroni, veal with herb gnocchi, the most tender pigeon, and all that with friendly and impeccable service.