Paris in February? Where to Stay?

As of Dec. 1 of last year, fines for Air B&B rentals in Paris are now I believe 12,000 euro+ and they are enforcing it. Be careful. All Air B&Bs are illegal in Paris, unless it is licensed as a commercial property. The Dec. law was meant to put teeth to the prohibition - and prop managers in Paris tell me the enforcement is strong.

While I’ve never been in February late November in Paris is also cold and rainy and a wonderful place to visit.

You lose out on gardens but advantages are fewer crowds, easier reservations, etc.

I loved the Hyatt Vendome hotel in Paris. Lovely hotel, great location you can walk to majority of the sites, fantastic staffs and great breakfast spread champagne.gif

Corey,

My family and I were in Italy last month (Rome and Florence with day trips to Capri and Lucca). If it were me traveling in February, I’m pretty sure that Paris would be more enjoyable. Rome and Florence had more outdoor stuff…the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Forum, Borghese Gardens, Boboli Gardens, etc. and I felt like Rome was more spread out.

I think that the Paris metro system is great and very advantageous in the colder weather.

Thanks Mike – I think we are leaning toward Paris. If there were any day trips that you recommended, I’d love to hear it. Was considering Fontainebleau as an alternative to Versailles, though Reims is possible.

Yong, the Vendrome looks lovely, but I think you might be a bit more (by which I mean A LOT MORE) of a baller than I am.

When we’ve been in Paris, we’ve tended to stay in Paris (other than Versailles). We’ve been to Provence, but that was in the warmer weather. I don’t know enough about Reims to make a suggestion.

As an FYI, when we stayed at the Hotel Lutetia (great location) we used Amex points. At the time (not sure if they still do this) because of the Amex connection if a nicer room was available they would upgrade you and we were fortunate enough to get such an upgrade. At a certain level I don’t care about the hotel, but we’ve stayed in some pretty tiny rooms in Paris and this was a very nice bonus. Bottom line, I’d check out Amex’s policies.

As a second FYI, my brother and sister-in-law are going to London and Paris in a couple of weeks. They booked the trip through Costco (I had no idea that this even exists) and they were able to get some pretty fantastic rates on flights and hotels. Actually shockingly good rates.

We stayed at the Buddha Bar hotel in the 8th last month for a week. Great location near Rue St Honore. We got a great rate through Magellan Travel. The hotel was wonderful and an incredible full breakfast was included. Highly recommended.
https://buddhabarhotelparis.com/

lots of great info! Corey - i will email you - I am the WORST. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

In regards to airbnb, it sounds like it is the owners that are getting in trouble. But - good advice and info, I will be cautious of what i book!

I didn’t know that they had a hotel, Jim. My wife played the Buddha Bar CD we picked up a the bar 20+ years ago for Yom Kippur break fast last week. Bet we were the only Jews in the world with that selection.

Location is great - I’d reference it being a block or so north of Concorde, next to the US Embassy, as St Honore goes across half of Paris :wink: If you can land a cheap rate there, fantastic. Super convenient for metro, given the Madeline and Concorde stops. Grab the RATP app before you go.

I have about 7-8 of their albums. You’re welcome to have a listen the next time you come by.

(some are most assuredly better than others)

Tracy and I stayed in the 5th Arr. in April, very close to the Luxembourg Gardens and the Pantheon. Very easy subway access from CDG in that area, lots of hubs for buses to go in every direction.More of a residential vibe with the University there. Lots of good restaurants that aren’t touristy, a very nice wine shop up by the pantheon as well (not baller level but quite a few gems.) If you’re getting there on a Monday or Tuesday getting an unlimited metro pass is excellent as you can jump on and off the buses at will and see the city at a really leisurely pace. We loved walking in a general direction until a bus came along, hop it for a while without worrying about exact change, and hopping off when we saw something we liked.

Always the exception to the rule like when I was there in 2012 and it was brutally cold. So much so that they closed the Eiffel Tower and the towers in Notre Dame.
Was at Astrance one night that year and snow flurries started. Diners started to panic and the restaurant was nearly empty by 9:00.
Still a decent tradeoff to tourists (like me) that make it so crowded other times of the year.
I have almost always stayed in the 8th Arrondissement because I’m a big fan of Le Bristol Hotel, but I can see how the hotel could not necessarily be someone’s cup of tea.

Can’t speak to Feb, but for a short stay I would pick hotel in the 6th. For a longer stay, rent an apartment in the Marais. Have been there in April and July. Preferred April.

One idea. Fly to Paris, then go to Burgundy or Bordeaux by TGV (fast train). My guess is that in February you can get into wineries that would be impossible gets other times of the year. No hoards of tourists there to compete with you. Less if any work in the vineyards. Note that a TGV to Burgundy takes about 1 1/2 hours while one to Bordeaux is about 4 hours. So, you can easily combine a couple of days in wine regions with some days in Paris. In fact, one time I took a TGV to Burgundy in the morning and went back to Paris in the evening and just spent one day in Burgundy (obviously, this limitation was not my idea). It was in 2002 and was my first visit at Truchot. See my avatar for picture from that visit.

And, the food in Burgundy in particular is just fabulous.

One option is Hotel Relais Saint Germain. It’s old fashioned and a touch shabby but you get a fantastic breakfast and first call on dinner reservations downstairs at Le Comptoir de Relais. And at least in November the restaurant offered outside seating with heaters and blankets which was a lot of fun and totally charming.

Before our travel plans changed to Japan we were going to stay there at least a few nights.

Relais Christine

Very possibly our next hotel in Paris.

JD

Stayed at the Hotel Saint Paul Rive Gauche in the 6e in January maybe 10 years ago. Still appears to be a good QPR for downtown. Close to lots of options. Relais Christine might be a bit closer (down the hill) rather than near the Jardin Luxembourg.

RT

Artus Hôtel on Ruse de Buci in the 6th is outstanding. The General Manager is a chap named Sanjay, one of the most hospitable fellows you are likely to meet.