Passionfish time…..wine list...

Welcome aboard, Jim. I hope you’ll be a regular contributor.

Yes! I live two blocks away and every time I go the wine list definitively outshines the food.

Absolutely. When I enjoy in Carmel, it is usually BYO at Luca’s.

the Superior Yunnan black tea sounds good. No mature wines on that list.

See, this is what I don’t get. And I make the same point in the Chicken v. Egg thread on this board. I’ve been to Passionfish. Yes, the wine list is good and priced extremely well. But it wouldn’t be my first choice for food in Monterey/Carmel. Especially for an “annual visit.” If I’m not cooking, I’m going to a restaurant for its food, not for its wine list. If there isn’t a decent list, I’ll bring my own (if the restaurant allows). If I’m not allowed to bring my own, there are other beverages that will still work with most cuisine.

Thank you, Ryan and Merrill, for making a similar point.

Ryan,
Definitely agree with you.
Been there a few times and while the wine list is a QPR dream, the food is just competent.
Actually prefer the Rio Grill (just a hop/skip/jump from my house).

TTT

I’m sad to say that bolded statement is painfully true. I’ve had multiple bottlings across multiple vintages. I will no longer buy or sell these wines at pretty much any price (barring severe discounts, which I doubt will happen) unless I someday see a return to greatness.

Let’s say I forget to bring a bottle… what’s a good wine shop in that area?
Was at PF a week ago and had a half of Marie Courtin Resonance and the Gonon. Would’ve loved to have bought five other things and fallen asleep on their floor.

Don’t forget… [wink.gif]

TTT

Mike beat me to it. Holy hand grenades, what a list.

Edited to add that this may be the best wine list I’ve ever seen if I were just going to drink. I find the lack of the usual suspects and trophies refreshing.

Buzz, we ate there last weekend, and after some debate our waiter talked me into the 2013 Massican Gemina Chardonnay ($50). I’ve never heard of this winery but it was a wonderful bottle of Chardonnay.

We also drank a half bottle of Pierre Peters NV Cuvee Reserve Champagne that was fabulous and a bottle of Copain Wendling Pinot Noir that wasn’t fabulous.

As far as the food goes I think you have to stick with seafood at Passionfish to have a chance at a really good meal.

In my experience the food is much better than competent. Is it great? No, but I think it’s very good, and worth the price. Not sure that I’d go out of my way were it not for the wine list, but every time I walk out the door I’m very satisfied (and we do generally go with the seafood). Obviously the mileage varies for others here.

Totally agree here! This is not going to get any Michelin stars for the food….BUT the food we have had, the past 14 years, has been pretty darn tasty…local, fresh, sustainable……you can totally see and taste the passion(no pun) they have….couple that with intelligent and generously priced wine list…….you have perfection for this wine lover! Since I’m obsessed with wine(I would think all of us are, participating on a “wine” board?)……I always go into a restaurant with wine first in mind. Hell……a buddy calls me to meet him at Applebee’s for a flight of First Growths with bar snacks and apps……I’M THERE! [drinkers.gif] Everytime I exit PF I’m satisfied……internally, mentally, and financially. I go to a Michelin star restaurant and pay 3 times the price for wine/food……I exit amazing internally, mentally confused, and financially broke! [shock.gif]

The term you’re looking for, Buzz, is “gasptronomical”—when the price of the food requires you to take a second mortgage out on the house.

Charlie—never say “never”—you just have to be the right people for Ed to come out [grin.gif]

Cheers,

Mike

I wasn’t going to add anything on the food side, but if we’re beginning to take a vote on it, I’ve only been twice, and the food was pretty bad both times. I leave internally and financially satisfied, but mentally confused. They seem to care. It’s a nice room. The service is great. The menu seems thoughtful. And the room is full. Everything points to, “this place deserves another shot.” But I might be done now.

Funny, I thought the food was great. Thoughtful and well executed…been there twice with consistent results.

Brian, that’s unfortunate. I haven’t been in a year or two, but have been going there every so often for quite a few years. Never had a bad meal, though I usually focus on seafood.

I haven’t thought much of their non-seafood dishes.
Stick to what they do best.

TTT

OK, I understand with so much great rare stuff on the list, you roll.

But for me, wines to just enjoy, I like the half bottle thing, I’ll play and here are my picks:

'09 Sarrazin Givry $26
'10 Antoniolo Gattinara too young but I’m in for $31
'02 Lopez Heredia no brainer at $36
'12 Storybook Mountain Mayacamas Zin $26

'11 Mayacamas Chard $26 (maybe my top pick… it needs a LOT of air!)
'12 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc $26

and last (or first) but far from least:
NV Pierre Paillard Champagne for $36.

Dan Kravitz

OK……I think we are going to go with….

Ulysse Collin, ‘Les Perrières’, Blanc de Blancs, Extra Brut NV $91….C Fu’s flying balls got me!

Arnot Roberts, Kirschenmann Vineyard, Mokelumne River Zin‘12 $36…REALLY want to try this rarity, and the price is sic!

A Tribute to Grace, Santa Barbara County Grenache ‘12 half bottle $31……never had one yet…oldest daughter named Grace!

$158….in budget! [highfive.gif]

Sat night will be Pèppoli at Pebble Beach….at The Inn at Spanish Bay……the wine list is back to full price reality….so I think I’m going to bring a bottle of 2004 Vietti Lazzarito Barolo and pay the $35 corkage!

Can’t wait! champagne.gif