Penultimate (Harlan...Promontory)

Does anyone know the comp of this wine? Simply Cab? A Bordeaux blend? I’m guessing Will Harlan has an ‘eschew obfuscation’ bumper sticker.

Yes, and that’s one reason I buy The Mascot instead.

I hope to try this at Promontory in Nov, if fires, covid and/or any other act of god doesn’t interfere. [titanic.gif]

What do we think MM VHR will sell for? $225 per?

I believe all of MM’s offerings (with the exception of the Vanitas) are priced at $225. With that being said, I expect them to increase the tariff for their 2018 RTL extended aging barrels planned for release next year.

Thank you!

RTL extended aging?! I haven’t heard of this.

They had mentioned it during the Zoom call in May before their 2018 blend release. Long story short, Sam loved the 2018s and he wanted to keep some in barrel for longer, so they will be released next year, I believe.

Well that’s exciting. Thank you for the heads up

Hi folks, new here, and was doing research to make a decision. Lots of good dialogue. I’ve committed to 2 of the 3 packs; however, after reading reminders and comments on this thread about MM, Ridge, Shafer, and knowing I have Ovid and Continuum (round 2 this year?) in my inbox I have a bit of buyers remorse. A few years ago I bought a bit of Promontory but I left at 800 a bottle (I think). I just can’t justify that, maybe for an aged Burg Grand Cru or Bordeaux 1st growth, but not for a young wine (from anywhere). Promontory led me to Mascot and I have a ton of it in my cellar but also opted out this year. I’m trying to whittle down what I buy to the few wines I really love. I guess I bought this one out of sheer curiosity. Hopefully it’s as good as it’s wine marketing makes it out to be.

What does RTL mean?

Should be their motto “Remember To Live”?

omg, that’s hilarious

1 Like

Did anyone end up getting this? Just curious

1 Like

New on this Forum and came because of this topic having received the offer as well. To be honest I am surprised about how it’s released, I wonder if this is common practice ? Absolutely no critics tasting notes, barely any factual information about the wine except for a fancy name that literally mean 2nd wine and a hefty price tag (to put things back in perspective, Mouton 2019 was released at ~360 USD this year and is considered one of the wines of the vintage…) - I struggle to reconcile all this

1 Like

I’m new to this game but I think the answer is “if you can do it, you do it”. And that’s what they are trying to do. And no, I did not buy it.

Revisiting this old thread.
Did anyone buy this? Try a bottle yet? Comparison to estate bottle or Maiden, Matriarch, Mascot?

I ask because I just happened to see secondary market prices this morning. $533-$600/bottle. :astonished:

Ya I saw that a few days ago as well. I might just purchase some next round just in case I want to resale it at a later date!

Any Berserker reviews or want to chime in yet, TN?

I ask because I am leaning toward buying the 2016 next week. Thanks in advance….

Curious on any thoughts as well. Received notice of the 2016 release scheduled for next week.

1 Like

I didn’t get this, but I got a 3-pack of Mascot. Not my jam. Feels like most of the “high end formula” cab out there. But maybe Promontory is different.