Pepper Grinder?

I also have a Peugeot that is pushing 25 and it works flawlessly, wonder when the quality went down.

1 Like

And here I naively thought I had bought the end all be all when I got the pepper cannon—which I found extravagantly expensive. Silly me.

What makes these Webers so premium? I don’t see any specific claims.

Weber Workshops started back in 2014, Douglas Weber, one of the founders has a background in manufacturing and design. He was one of the people on the team that worked on the OG Apple iPod. Over the years Weber workshops has gained acclaim in the coffee community for building high-performance, over engineered, beautifully thought out coffee grinders. Good fit and finishes, tight tolerances for both electric and manual grinders. Needless to say, the company has some experience in building high quality grinders and burr sets.

I haven’t tried the Weber pepper and salt grinders, but I suspect the uniformity of grind size would be a lot better than the pepper cannon. Very premium fit and finish. From what I’ve seen another plus for the Weber would be the ease and consistency of adjusting grind size. As far as output, from the videos I’ve seen it seems to be as effective as the pepper cannon.

If you have a pepper cannon, I don’t really see the need to upgrade unless one is compelled to always have the latest and greatest.

1 Like

This review fleshes out Rodrigo_B excellent summary…

The salt mill was conceived during the pandemic and was Weber Workshop’s answer to the demand for a companion piece to the Moulin Pepper Mill.

Unlike the Moulin Pepper Mill the Moulin Salt Mill was reengineered from the inside out for salt. The salt mill uses engineered ceramic burrs for grinding and zirconia bearings and completely new internals designed from corrosion-resistant marine grade stainless steel. The mill has 20+ different settings from fine to coarse and delivers higher output per turn with greater repeatability than other salt mills.

3 Likes

Admittedly overkill for many but these things are heirloom quality and are made to some crazy (and some might say unnecessarily) high tolerances. Even the adjustment ring that is used to set grind coarseness has a bang-on, positive, detent and no slop whatsoever. Every setting is designed to be measurable and repeatable.

1 Like

The one I’ve used for 20+ years is the Pepper Mate and am on my 2nd one, first one finally failed after about 15 years of use. Only $31 for the white version - they have other colors for varying prices.

This thing has been bulletproof and you can adjust the grind. This one is used in the kitchen for cooking, may not look so great on the dining table.

It would most certainly be overkill if the quality of the peppercorns did not match. I’d spend on the peppercorns.

I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say it was a “certainty” but my personal bias is more inclined to agree with you.

I personally don’t see the point in spending hundreds of dollars on a peppermill if the peppercorns one puts in are mediocre.

On the other hand, really good peppercorns, like those from Micronesia, can make a pretty sizeable impact on a dish, even if they’re ground by mortar and pestle.

Agreed. Kampot (Cambodia) are my favorite for many applications.

1 Like

Kampot peppercorns are good and readily available. If you can get peppercorns from Pohnpei, they’re wonderful (I used to get them through friends who were doing research in Micronesia).

I already mentioned I have multiple mills as tailed pepper and long pepper are different enough to warrant separate mills.

1 Like

I just ordered Pohnpei peppercorns; thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Where from? Thanks

Thanks, order in

Three oz $29.99
Two oz $34.99?

That plastic bottle is expensive!

1 Like

OPC
Original Plastic Case

I think this is the only supplier in the US. I used to get mine directly from Pohnpei, but those days are gone.

1 Like

Peugeot Olivier Roellinger. Definately not for everyone, but mine is a beast and has been rode hard for at least 20 years.

1 Like