Pet-Nat recs

This.

Herve Villemade Bulle Blanche, too.

This is one is dry and fantastic… Beautiful perfumed nose. and good QPR for $20

https://birichino.vinespring.com/purchase/detail?item=2017-p-tulant-naturel-malvasia-bianca

Sean

Los Pilares Sparkling Muscat is weird but wonderful.

Renardet-Fache refers to its Vin du Bugey-Cerdon as Methode Ancestrale but, as indicated above, it fits the category. If you don’t like this wine, you don’t like life.

Lisa & Bertrand Jousset in the Loire also make good ones, though they were hit hard with weather issues in last year’s vintage.

I’ll add a +1 for the Cruse Valdigue.

admittedly, its the only pet-nat i’ve had. but I did enjoy it.

Thanks.

Some I’ve liked. I love sparking in general and I certainly think pet-nats have their place. They can be a bit overpriced for the complexity, but I also know that they arent exactly cheap to make.

Domaine Huet Vouvray Pétillant Réserve Brut ← I think this is classified as a pet-nat

Red Tail Ridge Winery Riesling Pétillant Naturel RTR Estate Vineyards ← a touch of sweetness, but this screams summer sipper.

Philippe Bornard Poulsard Vin de Table Français Tant-mieux ← nice wine

Dirty and Rowdy’s pet-nat. ← nice, but they stopped making it

That’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid. I don’t like the sweet cider ones

I’m a millennial :smiley:.

I generally feel safe with any pet nat from Selection Massale, though I’m particularly fond of Quentin Bourse’s wines (Sot de l’Ange).

Renardat-Fache is bottled joy, and though off-dry it is a great food wine.

Mosse Moussamoussettes is fun and interesting. Texier Rouletabulle is generally pretty tasty and is my go-to sparkler for Rhône tastings as it is actually on theme.

I had a really cool one from Andrew Morris at Briceland, though I don’t recall the variety.

Thanks, Mike, for the mention of me and Briceland wines. That wine is called Pet Nat d’Orleans. It is organically farmed on Ishi Pishi Ranch in NE Humboldt and has no sulfites added. It’s a blend that has some percent of muscat related grapes in it but it is bottled as a proprietary blend, so the varietal is not stated. Sorry if that is vague. I guess it is meant to be… This year’s batch of that, my second, got a 92 pt score and a gold medal in the Orange County fair, to my surprise. I did not know they had enough entered to have a category for it.

Totally agree on the Huet. Assuming this is classified as a pet-nat, we can just stop the conversation right now.

Huet’s is a pet nat by definition; bottled before primary fermentation is finished - méthode ancestrale.
I’d second this, plus Dirty and Rowdy which isn’t made anymore, but was produced with Michael Cruse when they shared the winery. I’m also a fan of Cruse’s pet nats, both the Valdegue and the St. Laurent.

Cheers,

Warren

I wouldn’t have thought of this as pet nat but I certainly agree with the sentiment.

+1 on the Huet though I’m enjoying the conversation.

I am fond of La Garagista’s Pet Nat from Vermont. Could be one of the only wines from Vermont that I enjoy, let alone recommend. Made from cold climate hybrids. Fresh, floral, bright and nuanced.

Eric Asimov had a nice write up.

Limited distribution so likely difficult to source on the Pacific side of the continent.

+1 for Jauma

Geschickt Pinot Auxerrois Obi Wine Keno Bulle Pet’nat Petillant Nature.

Geschickt also makes an excellent Cremant d’Alsace “Double Zero”

Here are my notes on 4 PetNats that I’ve had over the last year and liked (the Huet was already mentioned):

2017 Swick Wines Pinot Noir Pet’ Nat - USA, Oregon (6/3/2018)
Purchased for $25. Made from 20 year old vines from the Cancilla Vineyard. Hand harvested from the first pass through the vineyard. Bottled at 10g/l of sugar. No fining, filtering, dosage or sulphur. 420 cases made. Clear rose color. Medium bead. This was a very nice wine with ripe berry notes. Well balanced and on the drier side despite the 10g/l. 89 points

2015 Brendan Tracey Vin de France Outsider Brut Rosé Petillant - France, Vin de France (4/29/2018)
Made by former punk rocker Brendan Tracey who started his own winery in 2010. 50% Gamay and 50% Cot (Malbec) made from 60 year old vines in the Loire Valley. 2%RS. This wine goes through a single fermentation using natural yeasts. A $22 purchase. Very unique. Pale rose color. Rustic with notes of sugar beets, strawberries and chalky stone. Good bead as well. 90 points.

NV Marc Plouzeau Touraine Perle Sauvage Petillant Naturel Brut Nature - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (2/9/2018)
A $13 purchase. This Loire Valley estate was started in 1976 and is located in the Chinon region. This “pet nat” only goes through a single fermentation using natural yeasts. 100% organic Chenin Blanc. Medium plus bead. Mineral aromas. Notes of smoke, yeast and citrus. Very dry. 88 points

2012 Domaine Huet Vouvray Pétillant Cuvée Huet Brut - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray Pétillant (1/13/2018)
Bottled at 2.5 atmospheres (versus 5-6 for Champagne). 100% Chenin Blanc. Purchased for $25. Light yellow color. Black licorice notes with elderflower and green apples. A rich and fuller bodied sparkler. Clean finish. 90 points

VM

Milan Nestarec 's Danger 380 Volts

Muller Thurgau 70%, Neubürger 20% Muscat 10%

Refreshing with a great grapefruit note.