Pet-Nat recs

i tried this one, but the label was blue!

Capriades and Mosse are great, as is Belluard Mont Blanc, which is more of a sparkling wine like the Huet. I haven’t seen a bottle of Bornard (Tante Mieux or Ca Va Bien) in about 5 years, but I’m a buyer if I could track them down (however they are not totally dry). Heard good things about Robinot but haven’t tried yet.

I haven’t opened one of my Cruse pet-nat’s yet but if you can find the Dirty & Rowdy Pet Nats (I recently picked up a few from Flickingers) they are delicious and I so wish they were still being made. One of my all time favorite wines. ! I also found Johan Vineyards pet nat that was a Beserker Day special quite fun … very “nat” I guess but tasty.

Never tasted an orange wine, definitely not a millennial.

I’ve only had Pet-Nat from Johan and really like it. A must buy each Berserker Day.

Did you like it?

I think I was expecting a bit more sparkle to it.

Not a big fan of the Category. I do like Brand from Germany. They are fresh and I like the underlying grapes that they choose.

Shout out for Channing Daughters from Long Island - super range of Pet Nats tried there a few weeks ago.

we’ve made some pet nat, but the best I’ve tested is:

https://www.divisionwineco.com/product/2015-Gamine-Grenache-Petillant---No-Dose?sortBy=ProductTitle&maxRows=12&productBrandID=9FF2FBCC-03CC-675E-280E-1FE33BDED45B&

can’t wait for the next release.

Everything I ever predicted about you is coming true, Charlie.

Also, as others have said, Les Capriades. Especially the cuvees that are more dry, like the Pet Sec.

I don’t really think of Huet Petillant or Belluard Mont Blanc Zero as Pet Nats, but those sure are great sparkling wines. Pinon makes an actual Pet Nat (labeled as such), which is good, but I prefer his non-Pet Nat sparkling wines, which are great values. Same for the Pinon still wines while we are at it.

Lol. Just trying to spark conversation on the board. I’ve tasted all of two bottles of pet nat and have not been impressed. So curious what makes it interesting for people.

Now surprising given what your usual wine interests are. What $20 wines do you like?

There are wines at $20?

kidding.

The two pet nats I tried were around $30-40. Seems quite a few of the suggestions here are at the same pricing. If there’s a really tasty $20 pet nat you can recommend I’m happy to try it. At $40 i’m a little more hesitant as we’re getting near some nice champagne choices.

https://biondivino.com/collections/wine/products/ca-de-noci-le-rose-frizzante-2016

this is also very cool. not sure exactly the methods of production so perhaps it is not a pet nat, but it has a light skin contact and is bone dry with low alcohol. very elegant and floral. quite a small production too.

I had a Patton Creek Riesling Pet-Nat recently. $20 from an oregon retailer (or $25 by the time it got to me on the east coast). I thought it was very, very good. Not complex at all, but delicious and recognizable as riesling. Cloudy. No funk. More interesting to me than other sparkling at the price point.

This is my current fave. Louis Dressner is importing it, and the only flaw I find is that it is effervescent like a shaken, warm soda even when cold. Just gotta be a little delicate when opening it.

https://www.bowlerwine.com/wine-or-spirit/pow-blop-wizz-0

For really liking a lot of “natural wines”, I’ve really not been a big fan of pet nat. I think the only 2 I’ve actually liked have been from Johan and Briceland.