Pick your 4 Favourite Spots please-off the top of your head

Really nice picture of the Goosenecks of the San Juan. Love that place. Friends of ours have a B & B in the Valley of the Gods, close to that, where we wed. Thanks for posting that.

Torres del Paine is really nice, but benig fit is kind of a pre-requisite if you really want to enjoy the place. A 3-day trek is the minimum, and a one-week trek is recommended. I would also recommend the kayaking (or horse-riding) there, benig able to go next to a glacier with a kayak is a pretty fun experience.

Thanks. I think it’s actually my favorite picture.

I’m a keep moving kind of guy. I’m good for maybe 15 minutes laying out at the beach. For some reason though I can sit in a camp chair overlooking the Goosenecks for hours. Early in June I arrived at sunrise and had the whole place to myself until around 7:30.

Valley of the Gods is cool. Moki Dugway is one of my favorite roads in the US.

Unfortunately when I was in Utah all the places I’ve seen with “river view” were not easily accessible to the public. It required either a plane ride and/or a 4WD into Canyonlands. So I will have to add Goosenecks to my next trip in that area, assuming it is indeed easily accessible.

I also can’t stay in place (unless it means being in front of a computer, for whatever reason), but some places are definitely putting me in a contemplative state.

I’m going out to LA next week and have a weekend over. Thanks to this thread I picked up the last (cheap)accomodations in Yosemite. Looking forward to it since I have never been.

Algonquin Park here in Ontario, when I was young I used to go in camping for ludicrous amounts of time with a chum from high school and catch trout and carry a 120 lb cedar strip canoe for miles and it was all awesome.

The balcony at our room in Clos St. Vincent near Ribeauville where we stayed this past June.

Paris prior to 2001 … based on our trip this June … not so much anymore.

O’Connor’s Pub in County Clare … where the real music comes from.

Most of all though, around the fire at my cottage on Emerald Isle in Buckhorn Lake, Peterborough County, Ontario. No place like it!

Moki Dugway is cool. Ever take a raft trip down the San Juan and through the Goosenecks? I highly recommend it.

The Goosenecks is easily accessible. Our friends’ B & B, Valley of the Gods B & B, is maybe 10 miles from the Goosenecks, if you aren’t camping and want a place to stay.

In no particular order:

Petra
Canyon de Chelly
Yosemite
Chi Chi Beach

1 Like

Queenstown, New Zealand

1 Paris-anywhere (been there many times at end of or during each trip to Europe), but particularly the Memorial To The Deportation (never fails to move me) on Cite at river’s edge 200 yards behind Notre Dame, Pont Alexandre III at sunset, first time seeing the Arc d’ Triomphe and sensing what Parisians must have felt watching Nazis march through it and down the Champ, and view of my plates from any table inside Taillevant, Guy Savoy and l’Astrance. 2 Walking the 5 coastal towns of Cinque Terre, Italy. 3 Provence and Cote d’Azure- and particularly the Dentelles de Montmirail and driving the Moyenne Corniche between Nice and Monte Carlo. 4 Venice (2nd favorite city after Paris), and if allowed a fifth and sixth, 5 Cornwall-and particularly walking the coastal path on the Lizard Peninsula (4 miles and done with wife among other coastal paths this Summer when in our 60’s and can still walk) and the site of and view from the open air Minack Theater in Porthcurno. 6 Front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia and Viet Nam and Lincoln Memorials in DC.

1. Grand Teton National Park ( yes and it’s lesser neighbor Yellowstone too)
  2. Chinque Terra - Costal Italy
  3. Paris
  4. Napa Valley & San Fransico
1 Like

These are all wine related - all other-worldly for this wine lover!

Piemonte/Barolo region

Tuscany/Montalcino region

S. Rhone/Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Burgundy

Lake Tahoe, Yosemite high country, Hawaii Big Island (but I haven’t been to Kauai yet), Heidelberg

Maui
Big Sur
Kyoto
Ireland

Only 4 is difficult.

Iguazu Falls, for sheer natural magnificence.
Burgundy, for joie de vivre.
Varanasi, at sunrise, to be reminded how far from Kansas you can go and still be on Planet Earth.
Willamette Valley around harvest time, the most peaceful, comforting, welcoming landscape I know.

Off the top of my head…

1. Santorini at lunch eating blackened octopus with a glass of Asertiko
  2. On the deck of the Queen Mary 2 entering Sydney Harbor
  3. Walking in Rome
  4. As Major Franks said…beautiful Queenstown NZ

In no particular order:

1. Paris (I always stay in the 1st arr., but enjoy pretty much everywhere here)
  2. Burgundy (i.e., the Côte d’Or, particularly the general Beaune area and Vezelay)
  3. Alsace (particularly Eguisheim and Riquewihr, but I also liked Obernai a lot)
  4. La Rioja (in general)

Close runners-up would be:

1. Bordeaux (particularly the Haut Médoc and St-Emilion)
  2. San Francisco (I always make it a point to visit on US trips)
  3. Hong Kong (for the food and to visit friends there)

Mike started a similar thread on the UK Wine Forum. What strikes me is the difference in the responses. Not intending it as a criticism, but the places posted here seem to be more predictable and mundane. I guess for obvious reasons the focus here is much more North American, with a smattering of obvious European locales thrown in. I might be ignorant about such things, but the lists over on the other board include many places I’ve never heard of or thought about visiting that seem worth researching a lot more closely. In any case, the contrast seems interesting. Check it out: http://www.wine-pages.com/cgi-bin2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=026168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1- Patagonia-

2-Denali

3-Kauai (napali coast)

4-North Woods of Wisconsin

Cities outside of my own NYC,NOLA,Paris