Pick your 4 Favourite Spots please-off the top of your head

I think they mostly did a much better job at staying very specific in their answers, compared to a lot of people here talking about a whole region or country. The variety of answers comes mostly from the fact they have a more international crowd over there.

No question about it Guillaume, as I alluded to above. Still, much more interesting, to me at least.

and me, guys, part of why I wanted to double-post it—candidly not surprised at the differences and like you, Peter, not taking anything away from the responses here, all of which seem/look like great places and experiences. Of course, the thread had died out there long ago, while this one is going strong. [berserker.gif]

Actually I had a second look at our thread and for everybody who said Paris, Italy or Big Sur, another person pointed out a much more specific, out of the way destination. I picked up a few places where I’d like to go in both threads.

1. Kona Village Resort, Island of Hawaii.
  2. Backcounty, Yosemite National Park.
  3. My of home town San Francisco.
  4. Kauai
  5. Yellowstone

Bill

BWCAW/Quetico

Yellowstone, (preferably in September with a flyrod)

San Francisco/Napa Valley

Denali

I would love to return to Kyushu, Japan. The bases we were stationed at are now: Fukuoka International Airport and Marine World. I want to visit the Koga Golf Course again. And I want to spend some time with the most hospitable people I have met anywhere in the world.

The Daoist sacred mountains of China, especially:

• Wudang Mountain
  • Lao Mountain
  • Hua Mountain
  • Qingcheng Mountain

Times Square, and the rest of New York City.
Jerusalem
Paris
115 feet below the surface on the South Wall at Grand Caymen - but Molokini crater in Hawaii was close.

We don’t get out much but my faves have been:

BC - Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper Park, Vancouver

Kauai - Waimea Canyon, Na Pali Coast

Yosemite

Forestville, CA - I love where I live!

With travel at least starting to be some sort of a possibility again, I don’t mind exhuming this old thread. I would probably now substitute the Panorama Trail in Yosemite for Banff, though it’d still be a fistfight. And I still miss Segovia and Cable Beach—a lot

A quick visit to see a friend in Ko Olina reminded me how beautiful even Oahu :wink: is, never mind the rest of the Hawaiian islands.

4 is impossibly difficult:

• Antarctica cruising the channels with ice all around you
  • Galapagos with the sheer volume of endemic animals
  • Uganda to trek gorillas
  • Kenya/Tanzania various safari sites

Honorable mention:
  • Red Sea diving / Egypt history
  • various cities that have great culture and food (paris Tokyo pick ur euro city etc)
  • Easter island for the remoteness / peacefulness
  • Hawaiian islands certain spots also peacefulness
  • siem reap and various parts of Indonesia, India, China for the history

Need to go:
  • NZ
  • Israel / Jordan
  • Arctic Ocean

Franconia, Germany - Great beer, interesting history, Tilman Riemenschneider, and generally off the beaten path for Americans
Salzburg, Austria - Incredible scenery, Mozart, possibly the best beer in the world
Arles, France - It probably helped to be there during the Cocarde d’Or (population in period costumes, bull races)
McMinnville, Oregon - I love where I live!

For sheer beauty:

Yosemite
Grand Tetons
North Shore of Kauai
Banff National Park

For memories: Lake of the Woods, Oregon

Twelve Apostles, Great Ocean Road, Australia
Iya Valley, Shikoku, Japan
Hardangerfjord, Norway
the Alhambra, Granada, Spain

Not a tourist island so I’ll likely never get to go back: Kudafari island, Maldives

Telluride, CO
Bolzano, Italy
Provence, France
Ravello, Italy

Burgundy
Salzburg
Amsterdam
Cape Porpoise, Maine

Honorable Mention:

Paris
New Orleans
Vienna
St. Martin

• Norwegian Fjords - Bergen to Balestrand to the Nærøyfjord and Flam, over a few crystal clear blue sky days, was as close to a religious travel experience as I’ve had.

• Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Bernese Alps - Every inch of it is perfection.

• Telluride - My favorite spot in the States. Switzerland meets the old west.

• Istanbul - Looking out over the Bosphorus from the Topkapi Palace is like gazing back through time. Just a remarkable city that oozes history.

Honorable mentions: Paris (barely missed the cut), Kyoto, Ravello, Beaune, Zermatt

switched my avatar for you, Mark—flightsee over the Southern Alps in NZ. I loved NZ but wouldn’t be able to pick a single spot there, the whole country was just so amazing. Yao–the Apostles and Alhambra are honourable mentions for me

The responses are making me travel-thirsty!

Kyoto
Rome
The last 10 meters before you come through the Sun Gate, Machu Picchu Peru.
Las Vegas (the food and shows and events in LV, then within a 30 minute drive, some incredible hikes)

Honorable mention - Any part of the Amalfi Coast where you can both drink some wine and look at the water…