Planning first time trip to Santa Barbara County, tips/advice?

I’m not a great golf either just enjoy the game wth friends. Stay away from La Purisma. Honestly I’d play Sandpiper because it’s so beautiful and it’s forgiving enough for a high handicap player to enjoy. the downhill par 3 (11?) Down to the ocean followed by the drive sitting on the tee box down by the ocean which sets a righty up looking at the ocean are pretty unforgettable. At the very least go putt around. It’s right off the 101 exit half way between SB and Los Olivos.

Tip: book far in advance and get first twilight tee time at 2. If you call up and pay an extra $10 each you can book that at least a month in advance so you can finish and play at the much lower rate and then have time for dinner after. The $10 is non refundable but round outs in case plans change

I just enjoy the game with friends and can play well enough to not embarrass myself with real golfers. I’m heading up with my best friend since childhood who actually got me into both golf and wine who lives in the OC. My best friend in SD just moved up to Paso last weekend and he’s coming down to be our fourth. We all usually shoot mid 80’s to mid 90’s depending upon course and day. If we were sticking around longer we’d pop in for a visit.

And Matt is a decent golfer and beat us last time out wearing a flannel shirt and timberlands at SB muni. Classic Matt:) He doesn’t play much but would surprise you.

No mention of Industrial Eats, yet. Not sure what their current COVID situation is but in normal times one of my favorite places to eat in the world. Couple miles from Solvang in Buellton.

There was some really good place we ate at a few years ago in Lompoc. It was on Highway-1 about at College. Can’t find it on the map or remember the name, so maybe not around any more. Several wineries all recommended we eat there.

Still open and still killing it. No rezzies so it’s a bit more challenging if you have lots of folks or a time crunch. And it does get colder there than other places . . .

And many new restaurants have opened in the past year

Cheers

There have been a number of places that have closed. Might have been Scratch Kitchen? They are no longer . . .

Cheers

It was Scratch Kitchen

The chef is still around and is now cooking for a corporate client . . .

Cheers

Larry, have you been to Chef Rick’s? I haven’t been in several years and wondering how the food is now.

Markus,

I have not - have heard good things but I rarely venture up that way unless it is to pick something up or drive through . . .

Cheers

Haha, that’s the truth.
Thanks for the reply!

My short list.
LOMPOC: Tyler and Lieu Dit
Holus Bolus
Sandhi, Piedrasassi, Domaine de la Cote
LOS ALAMOS: Clementine Carter/Casa Dumetz

1 Like

House booked… It’s located about equidistant to Solvang and Santa Ynez. Last week of Sept. The current plan is to fly into SBA, stay two nights in the city of Santa Barbara (looking at hotels), then move up to the house for seven days/nights. We’ll spend a day in SB, visiting tasting rooms and checking the city out - winging it… Then when we are north of SB, we’ll probably spend four days visiting wineries at a casual pace, and three days just goofing off, and not drinking any wine. A day or two of golf will be in there… One of the ladies going has not ever played the game, so we may all just get some lessons. I learn something every time I do that.

I’ve got a spreadsheet going now, noting all the various winery/tasting rooms that have been recommended by folks on this forum. It’s a pretty extensive list. No way in hell we’ll be able to hit all of them. I’m sorting them by area and finding that to be a challenge. Someone might say they are located in a particular town, but when I pull up the listed address or find them on Google Maps, they are in another town, or they have an address for the vineyard, or winery, or the tasting room located somewhere else. Oh well, I have several months to get this sorted out.

I’m also sorting through places to eat. I have a few recs going.

Are there any places for upscale dinner dining? Not French Laundry upscale, but high enough where T-shirts and flip flops are frowned on? The girls want an excuse to dress up a bit.

Let me know how I can help. In terms of ‘nicer’ restaurants in our area, I would recommend the following (this is NOT to say folks won’t be there in flip flops, but you won’t feel out of place dressed up):

Sear Steakhouse - Solvang
SY Kitchen - Santa Ynez
Gathering Table (Ballard Inn) - Ballard (in between Los Olivos and Solvang)
Zaca Creek Tavern - Buellton
Bar LeCote - Los Olivos - not open yet but will be by then
Nella - Fess Parker Hotel - Los Olivos

Plenty of choices for SB - let me know if you want any

Cheers

1 Like

Doug,

Good choices. Note that Holus Bolus is now located in Los Olivos, just down the road from my tasting room . . .

Also note that you can get freshly baked bread at Piedrasassi, too!

Cheers

1 Like

And a few more restaurants left out:

Bells - Los Alamos
Pico - Los Alamos
Normans - Los Alamos

Cheers

Hey thanks Larry! I figured I’d shoot you my spreadsheet in an email for critique, once it’s presentable anyway…

Bob’s Well Bread in Los Alamos for pastry.

Is there somewhere good in the area to ship wine home?

I’m trying to find a hotel in the downtown SB area. We’ll stay two nights, then head north. One that’s within a reasonable walking distance to the tasting rooms so we can casually wander around all day on foot, not worry about transportation to/from the hotel. My first thought was the Californian, but it’s a bit spendy for everyone. Is there any others that stand out as being conveniently located and nice…preferably with a lounge, restaurant and pool? I am considering the SB Inn, Hyatt (Mar Monte), Hilton (beachfront). They all look similar. And if not pushing my luck, any restaurants we should target for nice dinners? Will need two nights.