Planning first time trip to Santa Barbara County, tips/advice?

Not too far of a hike from the tasting rooms in the “funk zone”, and just a block from Toma, one of the best restaurants in SB.

1 Like

Harbor View Inn is really nice and conveniently located to coffee, breakfast spots, and has a pool. The Hilton has one of the larger lounge areas in town, pool, bar, restaurant(s) etc.
Toma would be my “go to every time I visit SB” restaurant.

2 Likes

Check put Eagle Inn . . .

2 Likes

What is the feedback on Bells? This is the same team that is opening Bar le Cote? TIA!

Grew up watching GI Joe and playing with the action figures.

You are correct - they will be opening Bar le Cote in the former ‘Sides Hardward and Shoes’ restaurant space just off the main square here in town. The focus of the next restaurant will be Spanish and Portugese seafood dishes from what I’ve heard, and they’ve hired a chef from Fishing with Dynamite in Manhattan Beach to run the kitchen. Everyone is quite excited to add more lunch and dinner offerings to our area, and with the addition of the restaurant (s) at The Stomping Grounds, an Auberge Collection hotel slated to open next year in the former Mattei’s Tavern spot plus the surrounding area, it’s gonna mean more people will be hanging around in Los Olivos a bit more . . .

Bell’s in Los Alamos is a little jewel - they’ve gone to a prix fixe menu with multiple options for each course and it’s been a bit hit. Definitely French-inspired. Small portions but high quality ingredients in a relatively laid back setting. Reservations are required and they tend to be booked for weeks at a time.

Cheers.

Right on. I’m a bit superheroed out, but I’m hoping the new movie coming out does the characters some justice.

Here’s some chatter about the film

We have stayed at Eagle Inn many times over the years.
Very nice, but crazy expensive although not any worse than comparable places.
Its been a long time since we stayed there since we started using AirBNB and VRBO.
For about half the price we get a whole house or guest cottage with kitchen.

Surprised I haven’t seen Tensley mentioned. Tensley Wines - Tensley Wines

Last I recall, Joey was steps away from Larry at Tercero.

1 Like

I needed to book three rooms, so ended up booking rooms at the SB Inn. They look pretty nice, good reviews, and all are oceanfront with decks. The others recommended here did not have availability for all three rooms, all days…but thanks for the recs anyway.

Dinner reservations will be made at Bouchon and Toma as I get closer to the trip dates. Both look pretty fantastic.

I have them on my list for next week.

1 Like

Another dinner option is Opal, it is one of our favorites.

Just visited recently -

Lunch - Brophys
Eat dinner at San Ysidro Ranch, Bouchon, Loquita, The Lark, and Rosewood. Golf Sandpiper.

1 Like

Day five in the area now. So much to see. The area is not like Napa/Sonoma, where you can’t drive down nearly any road and see vines on both sides of the road. Lot’s of farmland though.

We kinda over did it in Santa Barbara. I need to gather my notes when I get home. Probably tasted at a dozen tasting rooms though. Ended up buying a bit of wine from Jaffurs, Melville and Margerum. Had nice dinners at Toma and Bouchon.

Monday we tasted at Sunstone and Brander. Sunstone wasn’t all that impressive, but Brander had some very nice wines at shockingly good price points. We ate dinner at Bell’s and it was one of the best dinners I’ve ever had. They earned a Michelin star that night, we learned the next day.

Tuesday, we had wonderful tastings at C Nagy and Paul Lato. I think I may be ruined for the rest of the trip after those two. Fantastic people, great wine, great time… It’ll be hard to compete with those experiences. We left with cases from both.

Had dinner at Sear last night, after a day just wandering around Solvang. The dinner was very nice, everyone was pleased with their meal. Solvang is a as mentioned by someone earlier - charming.

Today we visit Peak Ranch and Alma Rosa. Getting lunch to go at Industrial Eats. Dinner is left overs at the house…

Still a few days left for this trip. We’ll most likely have to take a break from wine for a few weeks when we get home.

1 Like

Piker [wink.gif] [wink.gif]

Gonna stop by my place in Los Olivos.???

Cheers.

Yes sir. If not today, then most likely Saturday.

We finished yesterday with Casa Dumetz and A Tribute to Grace. The later had some excellent wines. Dumetz, not our style of wine, although we tasted in the outdoor courtyard and it was 95 deg F.

Peake Ranch was a nice visit. Great facility, pretty good wine, but nothing remarkable. Alma Rosa didn’t really scratch an itch either.

Industrial Eats however, dang. Great sandwiches.

I didn’t read the whole thread so apologies if already mentioned, but Tyler Winery is making amazing juice from Chard to Pinot and even Cab which was eye opening for me. Prices have risen the past few years so I sadly had to drop off from purchasing direct, but if you like the wines you can find them cheaper on the secondary market.

Tyler was on my list of wineries to visit, but we didn’t get there… There’s so many to see it’s impossible to visit all in one trip. We will most certainly go again next year.

I still need to put together a trip report and post it.