Poll - RHYS 375ml vs 500ml

Didn’t the announcement of the offer, and what is going to be offered, just come in an email? Or is the email I got something else?

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

I like 375s and would love to have some Rhys in this format. Prefer this format over the 500.

For me, I like that the 375 is so small. It allows you to either have a little wine or, if you want more, to try a couple of different ones without overindulging. As you get closer to 750 (i.e., with a 500), my thinking is you might as well go for the 750.

I’m curious… how much should the 375mL format changing the drinking windows of these particular wines? I’m particularly interested in the extremes. In other words, if I’m using a mixed case of 375mL bottle to gauge future Rhys purchases, how early can I start drinking these and still get a sense of their real potential? I’m thinking that that this won’t happen prior to the ‘normal’ 2012 Rhys release. Alternately, if I want to cellar them and just like them because it’s a more convenient size for a single person, how long will they last compared to a 750mL?

I know there’s probably no exact or right answer here, just looking for some general thoughts. I’m also especially interested in answers that take Rhys’s style into account, rather than more general discussions of bottle size. Thanks!

While I’ve often heard that 375s mature much more quickly than 750s I’ve never experienced it myself. I’ve had plenty of older 375s (e.g. from the 70s) that are doing just fine. Of course I’ve never had them side by side with the same wine from a 750 so perhaps that would have been even better.

I have bought so few of either over the years. Lately I have bought Clos Saron in .750 and .375. I gotta say those .375s come in handy sometimes… especially when I’m in a George Thorogood kind of mood. I would buy some for sure.

A lot of opinions seem to be more about why 500ml is better than 750ml. Offering both would likely result in fewer 750ml being sold; while the 375ml serves, IMO, an altogether different function/purpose than the 750ml.

I personally wish wine was released in 500ml/1000ml. Fits my drinking styles a bit better.

I participated in a bl;ind tasting at Ridge, where one flight was a 375, 750 & 1.5 of the same wine. Quite a big difference. The lineage was clear, but the perceived age of the 3 was quite different. I guessed about 3 years apart for each step.

And yes, I’ve had excellent 30 year old wines in 375s.

Thoughts have been going through my mind on this. It doesn’t make a huge amount of sense to offer 375s, 500s & 750s of the same wines. There seems to be unanimous demand for a smaller format, though. Maybe there isn’t a need to conform to conventions and retailer demands/preferences with list only wines, and it might be kind of mavericky/cutting edge to do something unconventional (for the U.S. market). Perhaps another poll is in order. How about instead of 500/1000/1500/3000 just doing 500/1500/3000, for example? Or 500/1000/3000?

I’ll take the barrel of the Skyline, please.

alcoholic you mean? [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Flawed poll. I wanted to vote Jeroboam.

Of the two, I would rather have .375s. My wife rarely drinks during the week, and a “Brad” sized portion would be nice.

This is anecdotal, but here’s a data point, from: Santa Cruz Mountains and Santa Clara Valley Wines: Blind tasting at Ridge

The first wine had a bright purple colour, indicative of a very young wine, possibly a barrel sample. The nose was smoky and dusty, the palate had some lean berry fruit, but it was almost painfully young. I guessed the Estate Cabernet - probably 2010 or maybe even 2011.

The second seemed more polished. It had a similar smoky, dusty nose but with more black fruit and the tannin was very evident on the finish. The colour was less purple, so clearly it was older. I guessed 2009 Estate Cabernet.

The third wine was darker still and the nose seemed riper and more mature. It was rich and smooth, with more tart black fruit and a smoother finish. So I guessed 2007 Estate Cabernet.

We didn’t find out until the end, but the wines were in fact all 2009 Estate Cabernet served in three different formats! The first was from magnum and the last from a half bottle

Depends on price. I want the lowest price per mL regardless of bottle size.

That’s the tasting I referred to above. That’s Dave Tong’s blog that’s linked and quoted here.

500ml makes sense, I’d be interested in some…

+1

It seems that 750 ml is the standard especially concerning price. We have to pay a premium for less as in the 375 ml we also pay a premium for mags. Amazing to me because if I buy a soda can vs a 2 liter bottle I pay less per ml the bigger I go.

What is the extra cost for a 500 ml vs the 375 ml

I have always maintained that 500ml is the perfect size for either someone who wants just slightly more than 375 offers and the couple who just want a glass each for that Wednesday night dinner.

Wow, that sounds like a really interesting tasting! Thanks for sharing the experience.

no way, I don’t go to meetings. [berserker.gif]

Looks like 500 is dominating. Kevin will have no choice but to go with that size now. neener