Popeyes Chicken Sandwich

Popeye’s doesn’t get the respect it deserves from a large portion of the population. Is it the best fried chicken I’ve had? No, but it’s respectable and good for the money and convenience, especially if you go when they are busy or ask them what isn’t currently ready, and then order that.

It’s fast food, I have no desire to waste the calories.

If you haven’t eaten it and don’t plan on eating it, this is not the thread for you.

Why do they call a burger a sandwich?

There you go, moderating again. [thankyou.gif]

Perhaps Paul can start a poll.

Nobody’s going to talk about the red beans and rice? Seriously?

I always get the red beans and rice.

Edited for politics

-supreme ruler

Oooops. Sorry.

So I went on a bit of an odyssey thru southeastern Atlanta this past Wednesday afternoon, in my quest to have the Popeyes chicken sando before my flight out of Hartsfield Jackson. The first Popeyes I tried was on Tara Blvd in Jonesboro. They were out of both of the chicken sandos, as well as the jambalaya and red beans & rice (rb&r). So ventured next to the location on Georgia 85 in Riverdale. Long and slow moving line, but luckily I had time.

Finally got to the counter, and placed an order for a sandwich combo with rb&r, along with a solo spicy chicken sandwich. After waiting close to 10 mins for it, I was presented with a large paper bag containing two foil/paper bags and a small styrofoam container. Sat down and went to town…

Upon first view, dare I say these are elegant looking sandwiches. The bun is shiny, and the chicken breast is noticeably thick (both with breading and the actual meat). First bites of both confirm the meat is 100% unprocessed, juicy, but no notable flavor from any sort of brine. The breading was crisp, and was maybe a notch below the flavor you’d get from their beloved “regular” fried chicken.

On the flavor note, one aspect where both sandos came up short was the qty of sauce (apparently mayo on the regular, and mayo with cayenne on the spicy version) provided. There are some pickle slices as the only other accompaniment, and these too were begging for several X more in qty needed.

The above paragraph is not to say that this was an unpleasant experience. Extra sauce and pickles would make this a unanimous entrant into the fast food Hall if Fame. As it stands, these sandos rate a 9.5 out of 10 from an overall perspective, and 10 out of 10 based on QPR alone.

I ate less than half of each, and wrapped up the remainder to consume on my flight. Somewhere over the Midwest, I enjoyed them again. Even at a cool temperature, the breading still retained a good amount of crispiness, and the chicken breast was still moist. Again, the need for more sauce and pickles was apparent. But these still were far better than any option available to purchase, or receive in First Class domestic.

If self serve sauces were an option available a la Chik Fil A, this would be an absolutely perfect meal. But as it stands, if the situation were “we ate at In N Out a few days ago, what should we get this time?”, the Popeyes chicken sandwich would be the easy choice.

05ADC2DC-8AC6-4144-9E7B-6AB365D22012.jpeg
AE5BFA02-87C5-404A-BCAE-297DD2F52CE2.jpeg

I don’t have a Popeye’s near me, but echo B. Tuite about the calories. Unless I’m training 3x per week minimum i’m not going there. But, like Chik Fil A I’d buy one and take a bite to see what the hype is about, and then throw the rest away. Chick Fil A didn’t deliver, I don’t understand the hype. I’ll try to do Popeye’s chx sammy next time I see one of their restaurants.

Dude, you lost me at “sando”

They clearly were looking for the word “sammich”

Prolly true.

Reedin’ be tuff fo you cheesebillies… cheesehead

Awesome tasting note!

I will eventually find my way to one!

Whatevs breh - at least I can still afford my NBA tickets :wink: neener

Regardless, I don’t think location matters when attempting to translate the Rathian language…

I love to hear a hard core American Italian say ‘sangwich’

bunch of places around town are trying to “upscale” fried chicken like everyone did for burgers. It’s the small deal - it’s a great food with a high floor and low ceiling. Waited two hours for one of them (no reso allowed) - was it 2 hours better than Popeye’s? Hell no.

Used to go to a pizza joint back in the day and they used to say it like this
Not Italian Americans though. This is off the boat Italian

Jimmy gonna make-a you a nice meat-a ball sangweech

I will likely go to Popeyes sometime this week for a sandwich. But if you’re in Seattle and need a good fried chicken sandwich, try Sodo Chicken located at the corner of 4th Ave S and Michigan in Sodo next to Katsu Burger. I had it today (all the talk of chicken caused a craving), and while the bun is no great shakes (looks like a Franz sesame bum) the chicken is moist, flavorful, with crispy breading and it’s bigger than the bun. Served with mayo and pickles. Pricier than Popeyes at around $8, but very tasty.