Popeyes Chicken Sandwich

Two years ago a restaurant in Southern California was selling these incredible chicken and waffles es. No one knew how she made it other than it had really crispy moist chicken tenders. One day someone caught her unpacking Popeyes chicken tenders and refrying them and then plating them .

A year later when popeyes decided to launch their sandwich , they premiered it at her restaurant!

I first went to Popeye’s in New Orleans in 1980…yikes. It was legendary then, and had not expanded out of the NOLA region. Though I eat little to no fast food, I still think Popeye’s is very reliable for slaw, red beans (I order no rice) and chicken in all forms. There is one not far from my office. I went Sat at 11:10 am. The car line was into the street; I parked next door and walked into the store to find a line of 15+ people. So, whether it’s the $3.99 price or the great PR, a wave of demand has been created. I was traveling by car to western PA last week; my son, a law student went with me. We couldn’t find a Popeye’s, but found a stand-alone Chik-fil-A, which he really likes. I wasn’t impressed, though I had a nice salad with their pieces. Not sure why the pieces didn’t impress me…weird texture…maybe. But, the place was also packed. I’m sure the Popeye’s is good. Whether it will stay at $3.99 is doubtful, I’d guess.

DED71EA5-2083-4FBC-94E4-FA1591E2644C.jpeg

We drove up to Boston on Thursday and we were “starving” and in a dead area. Got off where they said there was “food” and we had a choice: Wendys/Popeye’s. We almost NEVER eat fast food anymore. And I have never had anything from Popeye’s…ever.

We decided on Popeye’s. The line for drive up was insane, so we went in. Was very crowded, and I just happened to order the Spicy Chicken sandwich. Surprisingly, it was really satisfying. Moist as hell, slightly spicy, and the only complaint was that it was under sauced, so to speak. But I would definitely get it again…in a pinch situation.

I wouldn’t spend a dime in Chick-filatio …EVER.

What? Charlie is cornering the market on Popeyes too? That guy is everywhere! neener

I ate my lifetime’s allotment of chicken sandwiches at Wendy’s in the 70s and 80s [wow.gif]

Missed the chicken sandwich by a day or so I guess. Went today and bought spicy chicken tenders and slaw. Took them home and put them on a soft roll with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce, pickle relish and some of the slaw. Have to say it was pretty darn good!!!

picked one up in Bakersfield on the 20th on my way down to my Broker Dealer conference in La Costa. was offered choice of sauce but was eating in the car so declined. Spicy chicken, ice tea and fries were $7.50 (pretty bad fries). Sammy was great and worthy of the hype. Chicken was moist, crispy crust with good seasoning, bun kept its integrity. Best bites involved the pickle and sauce… the later was lacking a bit. Absolutely worth the hype. Different animal than the Chick Fil A, and very much prefer this version.
Tried the same “fishing hole” on the way back Sunday and line of 15 cars so went to in n out.

Headline in the Guardian:
Out Of Cluck

The Popeyes near me was sold out today. On the other hand, Bok a Bok, the Korean fried chicken place a block away has a fantastic soy garlic fried chicken sandwich that was totally worth the $8.

As fast food goes, love that chicken from Popeye’s (and biscuits, mashed/gravy, and red beans). Spicy on the chicken, of course.

Agree that I’d never get a white-meant chicken sandwich over dark-meat fried chicken absent extenuating circumstances like eating in the car.

Popeye’s taking on CFA? It’s on! [popcorn.gif]

Mods, please change popcorn bag to bucket of Popeye’s!

A chicky fil a with extra pickles… any day of the week, of course except Sunday when they are closed. neener

Made our own tonight. Have not had Popeyes yet…NO way i’m waiting in line for fast food…so went to local Raley’s grocery store and picked up their deli ready chicken tenders. Baked them at home…pretty juicy and a good crust crunch…toasted a brioche bun, slathered mayo, and added dill pickles(Popeyes uses “sour” pickles, but couldn’t find them?). MY secret though…I added some rosemary! Ever since I had a bucket of fried chicken from Thomas Keller’s AD HOC that has rosemary sprinkled on it…I use it EVERYTIME when making fried chicken! Makes it “gourmet” and adds a really nice herbal freshness to the fried. The sandwich was a HUGE hit! Now I need to try one of the Popeyes to see how it compares!

Oh…and a bottle(or2) of Champagne to accompany is a must!

The company is all sold out. Impressive.

We enjoyed Popeyes in Houston. I wish there was a Popeyes around us here. [cry.gif]

So some guy got hustled on Craigslist for $25 for some phony under the table Popeye’s sammy’s behind one of the restaurants and now he’s suiting Popeye’s. [cheers.gif]

Pretty sure that Wendy’s did not introduce chicken sandwiches until 1990. Their website seems to confirm this.

1990 is when they introduced a grilled chicken sandwich. They already had fried and spicy chicken sandwiches at that time.

You guys will argue over anything neener

No idea about the grilled chicken, but as a poor, starving grad student, a chicken sandwich with extra lettuce and tomato was a pretty good meal for whatever cheap price it was back then.

Okay, I will concede 1980s but not 1970s. [wow.gif]