Portugal, Lisbon & Algarve Restaurant & Activities no kids Rec

It’s just a little over a week until the annual Festa de São João do Porto. About the most fun that I’ve ever had on vacation, but you have to like crowds and getting constantly hit by strangers with squeaky plastic mallets and garlic flowers.

And eat lots of grilled sardines. [cheers.gif]

Don’t know if they go still but Ferreira had a lovely boat ride up the Douro, and their tawny port (Duque Brancaga ) is good even if the vintage ports aren’t as good as top places.

They’ve changed the name of their 20 year old to “Dona Antonio 20 year old.”
Their vintage Ports are very, very underrated. They don’t show as impressively as the British houses young, but they age just as well. A very pure, beautiful, elegant style.

Interesting, thanks Eric.

Many places still selling the Brancaga, must have been a recent change.

Sardine stands in Lisbon are like Hot Dog carts in NYC, only better becaue it’s a sardine and not a hot dog.

Wow I have to admit I am ignorant to all of the sardine info… and admittedly only eat them in sauces when its an ingredient plus have them removed from salad… am I really missing out or are the ones here in US not the same standard? Are they just smoked or S&P and on a plate? Sorry newbie here.

If you aren’t a big sardine fan, then it’s not an attraction.

They are bigger, grilled an served on a bun. I would say that for me, the baby sardines are better than the regular, and the regular as good as the big ones.

It’s not that you go out of your way, it’s that they are ubiquitous, and tasty for sardine lovers.

Many places still selling the Brancaga, must have been a recent change.

Last year.

Wow I have to admit I am ignorant to all of the sardine info… and admittedly only eat them in sauces when its an ingredient plus have them removed from salad… am I really missing out or are the ones here in US not the same standard? Are they just smoked or S&P and on a plate? Sorry newbie here.

Much different than the sardines in the States. These are large, fresh, and locally caught. More akin to fresh mackerel. Delicious.

Amazingly delicious

Amazingly delicious

Ok very cool!

In making your plans please be vigilant as the pandemic is worsening daily, particularly in Lisbon and the Algarve. There is significant community spread of the Delta variant. Restrictions on weekend travel have been imposed in Lisbon as of yesterday and things could change quickly.

Belcanto in Lisbon was excellent if you are looking for a special occasion dinner.

If one had 1 to 2 months to budget in Portugal? I was going to do the Silver Coast for a month and cram Porto, Lisbon, and some wine country in the other month.

1 Like

You could spend a lot of time in the wine country. Vinho Verde, Douro, Bairrada, Dao, Alentejo, Tejo, Lisboa just to start.

Thank you. Any specific towns you would recommend as a base in each? Particularly, towns you could envision living?

I will be a tourist, but also scouting for a p/t to eventually f/t place.

Many thanks in advance!

For living? Hummmm, that changes things. Alentejo too hot. Vinho Verde too cold and wet. The Dao is nice, but can get cold. (Higher altitude) Lisboa is nice but expensive. I might go with Bairrada. I still have to visit Portalagre which is the higher altitude, northern part of Alentejo. That might be nice but I need to check it out.

1 Like

Lisbon , Oprto, etc. back under curfew as of today.

Oh no, thank you for the heads up.

prior thread: Lisbon? - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

Lisbon–great city–makes SF look flat, it’s a city of 7 hills and the stone sidewalks are slippery. Don’t drive in the city–crazy rules, lanes, and drivers. Taxis are cheap. Take a Tuk-Tuk ride and tour. People are very friendly, prices great, food better than Spain. We stayed in a great location, a small hotel called Valverde, knowledgeable staff and great air conditioning. In Chiado (area of Lisbon), there is a glove store called Lucaria Ulisses worth visiting, there since 1925 and amazing leather gloves and service. Coffee shops and bookstores are there, a fun area. Super restaurants near Valverde–one called Sommelier, has very good food and a super Portuguese wine list, most available by the glass. Speakeasy called Red Frog was fun, had an excellent drink there several nights. Solar dos Presuntos is a must–should have gone there twice–classic Portuguese restaurant, cheese, olives, ham, had delicious kid. JNçquoi, pronounced je ne sais quoi, was excellent–lots of natives eating there, definitely worth lunch or dinner. Largo had good Portuguese food and is known for martinis–roast pork excellent. Michelin 2 star Belcanto had very good food, disappointing wine list and wine service, decor very simple. Visit “Time out Market” and eat their Pasteis de Nata, better than any others and worth eating several. Try and buy some Ginja sem rival, a cherry liqueur. Spend a day in Sintra, amazing and 25 miles from Lisbon. Great city!

2 Likes

Alan- thank you! You actually confirmed the three restaurants we booked for dinner (Somm, Bel and Jncq) which makes me feel encouraged and even more excited. Appreciate the additional information. Thank you!

great. Don’t miss Time out Market pasteis de nata. We are them everywhere including more famous places. Hands down best. I dream about them. And do lunch at Solar dos Presuntos . . .

The Time Out Market pastel de nata is a branch of Manteigaria. It’s main shop is a Lisbon institution, nearly up there with Pasteis de Belem.