Post-IPNC Oregon Pinot Noir Blind Tasting, 2008 Vintage, 7/27/15

Sweet…sweet music. [wow.gif]

See you soon!

RT

It’s a blind tasting Preston…the great equalizer. The hardest part is deciding which wines you enjoy.

RT

Sorry we weren’t more on it in responding to you. We’ve got enough stems for Monday, but thanks very much for offering. You’ll be missed on Monday.

+1

Each year there have been big surprises with some preconceived ideas challenged.

You can always tell if someone has a good palate as they like what you like.

Do you remember last years big surprise?

Preston, remind me of the surprise.
Was it that people actually liked Archery Summit?

P Hickner

Sorry, I was asking the question. Just curious to know what the big revelation/conclusion to last years was.

I didn’t attend the Post-IPNC meetup last year.

My conclusion was that 2002 was the best year from 2000 to 2004, but I went in thinking that.
I did a little search to review the line-up, which was a solid one. Tastes varied, so there were no clear winners and losers. Cameron, for instance, showed well with three wines presented, but individual favorites of the three differed.
FWIW, I think I was recalling the Archery Summit from the previous 2004 tasting.

This year is going to be quite different, tasting wines that are probably all going to be on the upswing.

P Hickner

What I found intriguing in the past couple of meetings is that there were certain tables/groups that really liked the Eola/Amity and Yamhill-Carlton flights while others found them to be fatiguing, hot messes. Similarly, some tables loved the bright, uplifted tones of Dundee flights while other tables declared them flawed and bretty. It’s always quite an eye opener.

Ron, I still can’t believe you’re not coming.

Steve, you can probably tell by my continued participation in this thread that I am bummed to be missing it. But I will be camping with my wife and celebrating 20 years of her patience and tolerance :slight_smile:

Andy, looks like its amazing well organized! Sorry that allen and I aren’t even at IPNC this year to contemplate attending. I’m eager to get some tasting notes though! (After the haze of IPNC has worn off, of course… ) We’ve opened a couple 2008s in anticipation and they are defying my preconceived notions for sure. And not play mr trimpi’s trumpet too loudly but waiting seems to be rewarded with these guys. Have fun… And post some pictures!

Experts? :astonished:

I understand Pinot Noir only slightly better than my significant other, but I am happy to spend the rest of my life with both of them.

The popular Archery Summit was indeed 2004 and Cameron has been 2-3 in each of the recent tastings for me. However, the two “hits” were home runs. 2001 is a personal favorite for me even though there has been no WB tasting.

Ron’s note is spot on, but with 05 I was surprised at the Y-C “purple popularity” and fell into the Ribbon Ridge camp as a fan. The Dundee wines always seem enjoyable to me but a bit easily understood(like a Steven King novel). Cameron excepted. All of these opinions are just that…

I 'm really excited to see everyone and for the tasting. So far each year has been a great experience and eye opening for me. Sorry we’ll be missing Ron, Todd, and Jim.
Ron have a great anniversary and give my best to your wife.

Couple notes: if you want to arrive early, I highly recommend stopping over at Johan on your way down.

I will be making gumbo for afterwards. All are welcome.

Pop your corks now!

An amazing throwdown. Thanks to everyone for making these special. Planning for 2016 is underway!

Thanks to Walter Scott for being gracious and amazing hosts! The 2013 Cuvée Anne Chardonnay is amazing.

Sorry we had to rush out, but we are definitely in for next year.

Thanks to all who contributed and attended!

Here is the Flight List:

Flight 1

Evesham Wood Puits Sec
Evesham Wood Eola-Amity
Vincent Zenith
Cristom Jessie
Bethel Heights Flat Block
ELV La Source

Flight 2

Matello Souris
Evesham Wood Cuvee J
Grochau Cuvee Amis
Johan Nils Reserve
Andrew Rich La Colina
Le Cadeau Equinoxe Reserve

Flight 3

Westrey Abbey Ridge
Cameron Abbey Ridge
Eyrie Reserve
Cameron Arley’s
Arterberry Maresh Juliard
Thomas Dundee Hills

Flight 4

Scott Paul Audrey
White Rose Soarve
Sokol Blosser Peach Tree
Panther Creek Shea
Shea Estate Shea
Lenne Karens

Flight 5

Matello Whistling Ridge
Brick House Boulder Block
Beaux Freres Upper Terrace
1789 1789
Longplay Lia’s Jory Bench Reserve
Eastburn Eastburn

Flight 6

Scott Paul La Paulee
Montebruno Willamette
Amity Winemakers Reserve
Anne Amie L’Iris
Ken Wright Freedom Hill
Antica Terra Willamette

Anyone want to offer some thoughts/conclusions?

Thanks for the list, Andy. Count me as someone interested in hearing thoughts/impressions from attendees. I’ve only got a handful of 08s, but interested to hear how the 08s are showing.