Prime Rib

Hmm.
It says the author’s name is Kenji Lopez-Alt? [scratch.gif]

I like the idea of roast slow and low, then high heat since the roasting will effectively dry the exterior allowing better crust.

btw I don’t yet have a torch… blush newhere

More questions -
So salt and pepper the night before - is this like a dry brine?
Just plain kosher?
Any garlic?
Also, I read one recipe where they cut off bones before roasting to make the jus.
Bones on or off?

Cut the bone off and tie it back on. Makes it easy to remove but keeps them there for flavor when cooking.

Ed+1 on cutting retying. I use the high heat/ no heat method. You roast it at 500 degrees for 5 minutes per pound, then turn off the oven and don’t open the door for 2 hours. It comes out medium rare for the entire roast and it’s great.

I don’t understand this. Is it somehow easier to cut the bones off before they are cooked than afterward? I always cut the bones off when I’m ready to carve. I use an electric knife and they all come off at once.

Pro-tip: Eat the ribs before serving the meat, that way you don’t have to share them.

Other pro-tip. Have some bread nearby when you take it out of the oven to snag the drippings. If I can have the drippings I’m willing to give away the bones (which I’ll usually toss under the broiler to crisp up before serving).

As mentioned above, I don’t think it makes a difference whether you sear before or after.

I use kosher salt but would give it more than one day.

D’oh!

Have your butcher - or in most cases the hack behind the service counter- cut & tie it for you. That is the only way I do it. If you can’t get this done go to another store.

JD

I still don’t understand why one would do this. It seems like it would allow more juice to escape and it takes about 5 seconds to cut them off after the roast is done.

Yes, I’m not understanding the cutting away either. Though I suppose you might get more crispy outside by having the part that’s normally against the bone exposed?

I like it on the Webber with salt, pepper and rosemary. Start at room temp. Cook slow, 3 hrs+ with a combo of mesquite coals and apple wood. Be sure to let it rest 15 min. before slicing, but you know that.

I don’t understand this. Is it somehow easier to cut the bones off before they are cooked than afterward? I always cut the bones off when I’m ready to carve. I use an electric knife and they all come off at once.

Pro-tip: Eat the ribs before serving the meat, that way you don’t have to share them.[/quote]

Have your butcher - or in most cases the hack behind the service counter- cut & tie it for you. That is the only way I do it. If you can’t get this done go to another store.

JD[/quote]

I still don’t understand why one would do this. It seems like it would allow more juice to escape and it takes about 5 seconds to cut them off after the roast is done.[/quote]

Don’t know why. Just always done it this way. It does not dry it out at all. There are an awful lot of people that do it this way, too. But don’t have a real reason.

JD

One reason to cut off the bones when raw and then re-tie is that you can get a more even coating of seasoning around the meat. It does help.

Also, if you can, season 24 hours in advance and keep in the fridge.

Food wishes.com has a great method.Lots of other good stuff on this site

Does anyone use the bones to make jus?

No, they are much too large and numerous, plus the roast is much better when they are on (whether attached as originally or tied on). To make a stock with them, you’d need a bone saw to cut them up.

I just make a sauce using beef stock. Get some marrow bones, knuckles, etc., make stock and then make whatever sauce you want. Bordelaise. Demi-glace. Reduction. Espagnole. Whatever.

I just read the Alton Brown recipe.

http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/17372

Has anyone used the terra cotta?
It sounds like a great idea but looks like a pain.

I use his method sans terra cotta. Works great without and it does look a pain to me too so I haven’t bothered.

J

Good to know Jason.

Btw anyone use their smoker for prime rib?
Was also considering low and slow in smoker then finish high heat in oven.

So, prepping for Wed, my first go at prime rib.
Got a prime cut from Costco.
It is currently in the frig dry aging.
AB recommends putting a towel over it to absorb moisture.

I made jus and horseradish sauce today in advance - yummy!
Will likely make a paste of oil/garlic/rosemary to rub before roasting and add salt/pepper.

No terra cotta for me.
I tentatively plan to use my Cookshack smoker to go low and slow at 250 without wood - just going to use it as an oven so I can free up the kitchen oven for other uses.
Anyone have thoughts about this? (i.e. something I am not thinking about?)

Will pull at 118 ish and go to kitchen oven at 500 to finish.

Still haven’t decided whether I will cut the bone and re-tie.