Prime Rib

I use the Alton/Kenji method of cooking it low and slow and then blasting it in the oven for 10m after it rests. The last few years I’ve done it on the Big Green Egg (without adding wood chips or chunks) and will never look back.

Kent,
Really dumb question - do you put the roast right onto the (BGE) grill?

I do not. I use a roasting rack set inside of a fairly large disposable foil roasting pan. You want to avoid direct heat as much as possible.

Hmm.
Good point.
I may use my regular roasting pan/rack set up…

I’ll try low slow.
Questions:
how long to hit 110 or so at 200?
Better to blast it right away and pull at 125?
Or better to go higher, rest, then blast?

I just throw it in fairly early and watch the temp. If it hits 120 or I just shut the oven off or set it at 150.

As I understand it (from reading), it takes 35-45 minutes per lb at that cooking temp.
I would pull it at 118-120 and let it ‘rest’ watching the temp cont to go up.
Once it reaches its max (temp stops rising), then blast high heat.

Food nerds, please correct me if I’m wrong (since tomorrow’s the big day) [beg.gif]

Smoked prime rib is the only way I prepare it now. The flavor is better with a little smoke, and the meat comes out tender, juicy and evenly cooked. I learned to cook smoke prime rib from this site: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html. However I’ve noticed the recipe has become more elaborate…more elaborate than the effort I want to put into it.

Suffice to say, i just season the roast with salt/pepper and sometimes rosemary. Stick it in the smoker at about 300F. It takes about 2.5 hours for a 7 lb bone in roast. I take it out when it hits 130-135F, and let it stand for 15 minutes. Comes out lovely every time.

What is amazing is you don’t have the burnt edges. You get the smoke ring instead. This is the only preparation my family wants now.

Went low and slow, pulled at 125 (as most like theirs not so rare… [swearing.gif] ), rested, then into 500 for 11 minutes.
Nice bronze outer shell…Looks/smells great!

Can’t wait to slice, but wait, just got a call that some guests will be an hour or two late… [cry.gif] [suicide.gif]

…because I need more curve balls to derail my first go at this… newhere hitsfan

Just discovered my oven has 145 warming function…good idea or will meat dry out? [help.gif]

HO.
LY.
CRAP.

Amazingly brilliant.

Dry age for 3 days.
Made a paste of herbs, crushed garlic, oil, rubbed, then salt and pepper.
Slow and low at 220-250 until 125, pull, rest, high heat at 500 for 11 min.
Left foiled in oven at 145 until guests arrived.

Probably one of the best pieces of meat I have ever made.
This prime rib was so unbelievably juicy and perfectly pink throughout.
Just delicious.

So, now I’ll put my vote in…

This was surprisingly easy to make.

When first posted I voted high heat, then low.

On a whim I tried Alton Brown’s method of long & low (200deg) , then a rest, then blast on high (550deg) for 6-8 min for more crust, then carve immediately.

Perfection! I will never do sear first then slow roast again. Try it out.

BTW, it works as well on a butterflied leg of lamb.

FWIW, I put a 5 lb roast in at 225 (w/convection setting on) and pulled it at 120. Best rib roast I (actually my wife) ever made. Let it “age” in fridge for 3 days as suggested here. With a 1983 Delas Cornas , it created perfection on the table and in the glass for Xmas dinner. Wow…(I do think the Angus roast was also a contributor; it looked awesome when the guy at the supermarket cut it Sunday.)

Thanks all for your thoughts, suggestions. This is our method from now on…throw it in and take it out…and nothing fancy in between but low steady heat.

Great to hear. Mine turned out great as well. And we had a 1 hour delay as well. A number of years ago I just started cooking the meat and not worrying about the time since the “keep warm” method works just fine.

J

Glad to see new converts to the low and slow method!

I had an 8.5 lb rib roast that I cooked on the Big Green Egg at 200 for 3.5 hours (pulled at 120), and then blasted for 8 minutes at 500 after a 30-minute rest. Beautiful color and perfect temp all the way through. The flavor that the smoke imparts during the cook is just over the top.

I did the Keller method with a 5 pounder on yesterday. Blowtorch first then cook on 275 for 2 hours to just over 120 (compromise so ends were darker for in-laws). Meat came out perfect, would definitely do it again.

I used the Thomas Keller method and also made the potato pave. The Pave is easy breezy to make and can be done in advance.

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-hoc-potato-pave-recipe/

I am with these guys

Uh, if you bogart the drippings, then you can’t very well make Yorkshire Pudding…

Was pink enough but not overly so for the rare averse…every time I sliced a piece off the juice kept coming…
image.jpg