Producers you wish you had more of

M-G isn’t quite in the same price range as DRC and Rousseau, IMO; even their best wines are typically under $1000.

In the if-I-had-known-then vein, I wish I had more Allemand and Clos Rougard. Prices had just started to rise when I tasted them and I concluded that I’d missed the boat. In fact the engines had started but it hadn’t left the dock. Oh well.

Also, I should have signed up for Monte Bello futures a decade ago.

I agree about Hudelot-Noellat. I tend to burn through the wines young because they are so delicious, but I want to have them with some age too!

I also wish I had more Fourrier. and Arnoux-Lachaux.

I look at the question more of: which wines do I consistently wish I had more of? That answer is pretty easy:

Austrian Riesling and Gruner (primarily Alzinger, Prager, Brundlmayer, Hirtzberger, Knoll, Schloss Gobelsberg)
German Riesling (both sweet and dry; both young and aged) (more than anything, JJ Prum and Wili Schaefer)
Champagne (big house and grower; fancy and cheap; young and old) (more than anything, Krug, Dom, Vilmart)
Chablis

Thinking about this question, I came to a conclusion about my own buying. By a considerable margin, I buy more Red Burg than anything–both in terms of $$ and volume. But I don’t actually enjoy Red Burg much more (perhaps not any more) than the categories mentioned above. I think my Red Burg buying is motivated nearly as much by the collecting/academic instinct–the desire to try new vintages and vineyards and producers and dive into the minutia–as it is enjoyment of the wine. Burgundy provides the most depth in terms of exploration. It’s a lot more expensive (and in a sense, a lot more interesting) to explore a bunch of different Chambolle 1ers than it is to compare big-house Champagnes in a given vintage. But I more often crave Champagne. So while I could certainly point to a ton of Burg producers I wish occupied a bigger position in my cellar, that’s in some a desire to fill out my knowledge (satisfy my curiosity) rather than have a greater quantity of delicious burgs (which I have a ton of).

The easy answer is what’s missing from my cellar in terms of what I love to drink but don’t have enough of? Whites and Champagne.

Most of my wishes had to do with price increases, but there are certainly times where I should have stuck with the producers I loved instead of chasing the next best thing.

d’Angerville
Bertheau
Taittinger
Montelena
Williams Selyem
Spottswoode

Nice thread, I see this as wines you enjoy, but due to sky high prices, you are limited in the number you hold.

Red Burgundy:
Mugneret Gibourg [Grand Crus]
Ponsot [Grand Crus]
Drouhin [Clos de Beze and Musigny]

White Burgudy:
Ramonet [Some 1er crus and all grand crus]

Riesling:
Keller [GGs]

Bordeaux:
Cheval Blanc

Champagne:
Ledru [Added fact that she stopped making wines from 2016]

This is well-put and I very much feel the same way re: Burgundy.

I’m taking this to mean the ones I didn’t pull the trigger on but was thinking I should. The ones that come to mind are:

Ramonet, Louis/Jacques Carillon, and Allemand before the prices went up.

Roederer, Vilmart, Lopez de Heredia, Cotat, and Baudry. I buy but I should buy more.

For a while Willi Schaefer but then I plugged that hole.

For older wines and auction, I’ll stick to Bordeaux: Calon Segur, La Lagune, Figeac, Magdelaine

Wish I had started or had access earlier regarding:

Lafarge
Truchot
Raveneau
Rousseau (dreaming here)
Mugneret-Gibourg
Barthod
Roulot

G. Rinaldi

Tempier

Cameron

Cheers,
Doug

Now we are in agreement! If we could only convince them to tear out the chardonnay and plant proper Burgundy grapes! [stirthepothal.gif]

Well, the ones I don’t have… DRC, Rousseau, C Tremblay… or very few Mugnier or not enough Chave
Then, are those I have but too young to enjoy them yet: , Roumier, Mugneret Gibourg, Barthod, Castagnier, Bart (for the grand crus, Marsannay OK), PYCM …
Then, those I have enough, at all degree of age in significant quantity Grivot Fourrier, D Laurent, Vernay, German rieslings (not many old but I like them young, I will not give names as they have limited acrage…)

And then Champagne…never enough…

Definitely! Love that quality about it. I like wines aged sous voile for 6-7 years that don’t make it to vin jaune, too. They happen to be lighter on the pocketbook. Cheers!

My problem is I like the whites also. flirtysmile So, I don’t really have a great solution. [scratch.gif]

With respect to the top Champagnes, there is an added advantage that many of them release wines at 10 years old or older. Get a real head start on aging these. champagne.gif

For whatever reason, Piedmont has been the region that was the hardest for me to learn the top producers and top vineyards. Not a region you want to get to late in the game on cellaring and collecting.

Bruno Giacosa and Giacomo Conterno immediately come to mind

julien labet

I agree. I have learned about a couple of producers where I like the wine and the prices are relatively reasonable, but I cannot buy them because it is insane to buy young Barolo when I am almost 65.

I don’t know about that; lots of 2011s, 2014s and even 2015s drinking pretty well. I’ve gone through close to half a case of the 14 Rupestris.

I wouldn’t open your 10s or 13s, but that’s a different kettle of fish.

Roagna
PYCM
(Back vintages of) Ridge cabernet from York Creek and Jimsomare
(Back vintages of) CVNE