Producers you wish you had more of

Maybe Howard thinks about Barolo like I do. Still waiting on ‘89s and ‘90s.

And Bordeaux.

Older Jaffurs and Ojai Syrah, pre 2007.

I’ve had some pretty good 89s! Not all Barolo is meant to age (let alone age forever), in my opinion. I think people really over fetishize old barolo sometimes.

personally, I think that the academic side goes hand in hand with the enjoyment factor. sure, I like the taste of other, “simpler” regions about as much as Burgundy, but the academic side gives Burgundy the edge more often than not. that being said, I think you can get pretty nerdy with a lot of great wine regions if you want. Piedmont, Oregon, Sicily, German Riesling all come to mind. especially riesling!

Dujac
more Ramonet.
That’s enough.

1 Like

Suddenly having more Pio Cesare Barolo from the 90’s would be a bunce!

Well for me it would be Overnoy, really hard to source at decent prices nowadays, there is so much speculation that the “cavistes” don’t want to sell them, scared that you might offload them on idealwine at 5 times the purchase price.

But also, I wish I had old Prieuré-Roch, more Xavier Caillard Les Jardins Esmeraldins, more Selosse (have a bit but never enough), Ulysse Collin, Domaine des Miroirs and last but not least, some more Rayas too!

Oh and I wish I bought some D’Auvenay 10 years ago!

Clos Rougeard Le Bourg and Poyeux.

Most things you can buy if you have the $. So I’d say a couple of harder to find things.

Wilhelm Haag era Fritz Haag
Keller and Julian Haart Schubertslay, Lieser Dr and Weiser-Künstler EE (Kabis)

Krug
JF Mugnier
Liger-Belair

If I am limiting my responses to producers I was buying when they were relatively reasonably priced:

Roumier (started buying with the 1985 vintage but just bought the village chambolle in early years and not enough!)
Mugneret-Gibourg (i was already buying these by the late 1990s)
Hudelot Noellat (ditto)
Raveneau
G. Rinaldi
Rousseau
Dujac

The latter two i always thought were priced a little too high for me so I bought next to none but i wish I had been more extravagrant and bought more.

Less pricey/more attainable:
Sociando Mallet
Old vintages of La Louviere
Produttori
JJ Prum
Huet
Domaine de chevalier
Sigalas Vin Santo
Felsina Rancia

Expensive/reach:
Pichon Baron and Comtesse
Montrose
Ridge Monte Bello
VCC
Allemand

The wine I wish I could afford, Rayas or Monfortino. Their producers second wines with age are among the best wines I’ve ever had and pretty unique stylistically.

Wines I love, and own some of, but could never have enough of are Musar and Lopez de Heredia, pair unbelievably well with food and reward long-term aging.

For me it would be wines that money can’t buy. Puffeney and Clos Roche Blanche would be two great examples.

puffeney still makes a bit of wine i believe! but i agree…wish i stocked up heavily on the poulsard m when there were stacks of it sitting in the astor cold room.

After not showing much restraint with my first allocation this year, Sandlands comes to mind for me.

That’s how I feel about Rousseau now too.

For me they are producers I love but wish I had a more extensive backfill.

Edmunds St John
Dunn Vineyards
Chateau du Beaucastel
Martin Mullen
JJ Prum
Willi Schaefer