Producers you wish you had more of

Yep! I have an 07 Poulsard standing up for dinner tonight, Chicken and Morels!

I would echo ESJ Syrahs.

I’ll specifically interpret this is producers that I COULD have had more of, but didn’t, that I was buying when I could have but didn’t get enough Obviously I’d love to have some Roumier or Mugnier or Leroy in my cellar but given I got into Burgundy fairly late this wasn’t an option.
So my list:
Allemand - still have an email from Bedrock Chris at Crush with all his allemand in stock -tons of vintages under $100.

Old Lopez (specifically my 1981 birth year) why did I just buy 1 bottle back when it was released just over $100?

Old Ridge and other old school California wines that were basically being given away in 08-10. Bought and drank a bunch but should have bought so much more!

Ganevat - have just gotten annoying to source, expensive, and all the bottlings are frankly confusing. But I’ve never opened a less than stellar domaine bottle.

I’ve been trying to get my head around this question in a way that isn’t just “what would you do if you were rich.” I’m going to go with things I have a lot of, but know it’s not really enough. Things I’m protective of because I don’t want to run out: magnums of Diebolt-Vallois NV Prestige, any vintage of Diebolt Fleur de Passion, Egly-Ouriet, and Julian Haart.

A glaring hole in my meager cellar, and something so squarely in my wheelhouse, is:

Pichon Lalande

Could use more Haut Bailly as well.

If I had more cash, leaving aside the FGs and Cheval Blancs of the world, I would add that I could use more:

Vieux Chateau Certan
Trotanoy

You could build a wonderful cellar with those four as core staples of your Bordeaux selections.

1 Like

I thought about this more and came up with Pignan. Rayas was always a bit beyond my price range so I never would have collected a lot, but through the release of the 2006, Pignan roughly tracked other top CdP like VT, Beaucastel and Pegau. Unfortunately I didn’t really start buying any until a friend introduced me to Chateau des Tours sometime around 2010.

Domaine de Chevalier

1 Like

Editing per the rules in post #12:

Pre-1999 Giacosa
Dujac
Rousseau
Verset
Trollat
Overnoy
Puffeney
Prevost
CRB
Bartolo
G. Rinaldi
Raveneau
Lafarge
Hudelot
M-G
Gonon VV
LdH GR Bianco, Rosado
Cappellano
Allemand

…to be fair, I have quite a lot of most on the list…

Looking back to a year ago, I have backfilled on VCC and some Trotanoy.

The most obvious miss by me is Allemand. I love the wine tremendously, and yet cannot believe how few I have… And now the prices are just crazy. I could also say the same about Jamet , But definitely have more of that.

More Vatan and Rougeard would be cool, too. I blew through a case of Vatan during Covid, Momma loves them.

I have stocked up on all the stuff I was missing. Also trapet and rousseau

Artur de Barros e Sousa (ABSL) Madeira. Very tiny artisanal partadista producer. Their wines used to be ridiculously underpriced, but the 70+ year old owners sold out a few years ago. Now they they are off the market and remaining bottles are very, very hard to find and very expensive.

Yeah I have around a case of allemand mostly 15-17. Only a couple older bottles.

Being more specific for a couple of more:

(1) My big Bordeaux buying days were vintages 1979-1990. After that, I bought a lot less. I wish I had bought 1996 Leoville las Cases. LLC has long been one of my favorite Bordeauxs and I really love their wine in this vintage. But, I was kind of ignoring Bordeaux at the time and buying wines from other regions.

(2) 1979 Pichon Lalande. I had a bunch of this but drank it a long time ago. It was so cheap in the early 1980s. I wish I had ignored a lot of junk I probably bought in those days and bought more of this. Had a bottle from a friend a couple of weeks ago and it is still so good. While I am at 1979s, I should have bought some Palmer also.

(3) Trapet. I have a lot of Rossignol-Trapet and love the wines, but the wines of Trapet are enough different that I wish I had some of them also. I have tasted their wines a few times over the past couple of years and have been very impressed.

I have one bottle of Vatan left, a 2011. A number of years ago when this was young, my daughter walked into Weygandt Wines to get me a birthday present and walked out with this. Talk about a good wine merchant and a great daughter.

At least both Allemand and Vatan are pretty buyable and if you get them from a good retailer pricing isn’t too crazy…Both are on my longest vertical lists :slight_smile: VCC and Magdelaine are good items to have on the list. Love the 82 and 89 Magdelaine I have in the cellar…-mark

Halcon
Bedrock
Olga Raffault

Lafarge
Allemand
ESJ
Clos Roche Blanche
Veyder Mahlberg
Alzinger
Jamet
Prevost
Henri Jouan

Barbeito Boal Madeira (older).

Comte Liger Belair

The ones I hardly have any: Rousseau (just 1 bottle CSJ 2010), Cathiard, Tremblay, Angerville, A Ente, Coche Dury, Ramonet, Selosse, Comte de Champagne,
The ones I have not enough: Mugnier
The ones I have none DRC, Liger Belair Groffier Rayas Hubert Lignier… and it will remain this way
The ones I did not buy enough earlier: Cathiard when it was possible and I bulked at the price…

The crus I should have bought more before it went crazy (I have very few…): RSV, Richebourg, Musigny, Amoureuses…