Promontory

Sorry, boss, but it shows 132. That seems utterly high to me. Why?

And truthfully, what point would that prove? Folks on this board are the bread and butter of wineries like Saxum. People here probably make up 1-2% at most of the total purchasers of higher end Napa Valley Cabernet like Harlan, Colgin, Screaming Eagle.

Sarah,

Not sure that’s the case. My guess is that this board contains a lot more folks that purchase those other wines you mentioned. Check out when the next SQN goes live and how many folks jump on that - yes, it’s not $400 per but many of them are north of $200- and my guess is that folks here will pay north of $300 when prices inevitably go up . . .

And how many on here jump at the chance to buy Hillside Select at north of $200?

Cheers

I think the point was that CellarTracker is a global inventory managament system and if Promontory has no bottles being inventoried, then they are not selling through at a similar rate-- however 140 bottles (or approx 46 3 packs) have been bought and inventoried in Cellartracker members now. Not bad actually given the threads out there…

Yes but SQN isn’t producing Napa Cabernet last I checked. Shafer HSS at $250 is quite a bit cheaper than Colgin at almost $400, Harlan at $600 and SE at $750.

And yet, not one bottle. Im not trying to bash promontory. They may have great wine, but nobody knows about it and trying to break into the market at $400 sounds a bit crazy to me.

You need to look closer than as there are 138 bottles of Promontory in stock. I have no dog in this fight and definitely don’t think $400 on a first release is anything more than hubris.

I must not be able to spell promontory because I dont see any bottle listed.

Remove the 2012. The vintage of Promontory is 2009.

Well, there you have it. 138 bottles.

[cheers.gif]

Hopefully someone will pobega one when they arrive in november.

Lots of people with lots of money know about it. Anyone that is active on the Harlan and/or Bond list will have heard about the wine. I am sure that Mr. Harlan has sent postcards, books and pictures to prospective customers for the past couple of years. He is not breaking into the market at all. In fact, he is just trying to milk his steady customers for some more of their disposable income.

My guess is that it sells out without any issue to ‘collectors’ of Napa Valley high end/cult wines.

Bingo.

Pricing your wine based on your ego is not something I support. Unless, of course, you are The Todd.

‘Quite a bit’ is certainly a relative term - and some would say that it is not that much cheaper. All depends upon perspective, just as QPR does in general.

And yes, SQN is not Napa Cab - that is true - BUT if pricing is somewhat related to actual costs being put into the bottle, and land is so much more expensive in Napa than elsewhere, one would not expect pricing to be that high, correct?

This conversation always becomes a slippery slope - my point was just to say that $200 to some is not a QPR, regardless of where the wine comes from, where others will happily pay $250 for HSS because of what’s inside the bottle - to them.

Cheers

$200 a bottle is a QPR for Grand Cru Red Burgundy.

I think another factor for me, not directly Promontory related, but in general is that I consider myself to be a wine drinker. I like to drink wine primarily with a meal. I have seen far too many people post something like this quite often.

I had a small glass (2 oz.) of the 2003 Screagle at a “Bottle of Pain” dinner a few years ago.

A 1-2 oz pour is called a shot. Jmho. At least with a $400 bottle you might get a full $100 glass of wine if shared with friends at dinner. At your house.

Still, 2oz of Screagle had graced this posters lips with its presence.

I think the point is not that some wines are expensive, that others are not, or that people should buy what they can afford. Only that this is really high pricing for a new winery without a track record. Time will tell whether the price is warranted, but right now it is a risky bet.