QPR Burgundy?

John,

Where do you live? If you have a good local merchant, work with them.

Tell them you’d like to try six (or twelve) good and various-styled $50 burgs.

Then come back to us and tell us what you liked and why, and what you didn’t like and why. Then we’ll be of more use.

This worked well for my wife and me, years ago.

Funny story. After getting her to agree to the experiment, our first bottle was a Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin (then <$50, now closer to $100). She liked it but didn’t love it. She thought it was super acidic, but agreed to keep going. After twenty different bottles, she finally found one that she loved. It was that same Fourrier. To this day she insists I trained her to like burgs. The acidity does take acclimation.

Try a pavelot slb dominodes or a Bize slb vergelesses. Benchmark has the 99 dominode for c. $50

Bouchard Beaune du Chateau

I’d argue the barthod Bourgogne is as good or better than most village wines.

Yes, I’ve written here before that her BB is basically village Chambolle in sheep’s clothing. I own many bottles.

My point is suggesting trying an array of village wines to truly get Burgundy as newbie. Swap out her BB for the Bertheau if you like …

OP trying to do a slight one up on the Oregon/Burgundy thread just above his. Also, < $50 too low. Consider a producer at L’Arlot at $90.

some of these wines mentioned really push the $50 envelope for sure. HN Bourgogne is a solid perennial well under the range bet, as is Meo Camuzet’s Bourgogne. You can get about 10 bottlings from the previously mentioned Tardy et Fils that meet the requirement, and are really solid wines. I bought a Fixin La Place from Envoyer for $19 last week! Voillot VV mentioned is a solid bet, Pataille has some great bottlings in that range (I personally think much better than the CT scores). Barthod Bourgogne is maybe gonna be JUST above the range, but like others mentioned its basically a village wine with a regional label, so I still think that makes it a good QPR. Bize was also mentioned but great value in Savigny.

I would also add Benjamin Leroux to the list as he hasn’t been mentioned yet. he’s got a couple bottlings that fall within the price range.

1 Like

Yea, but OP’s asking for “gateway wine” for under $50. Is there really one? The cheap Burgs are just something to sip on, hardly gateway wines, IMO

+1

1 Like

This is a complete waste of your time, your energy, your money, and, most importantly of all, the wear & tear on your body from swallowing all that swill and suffering through the hangovers afterwards.

Don’t do it.

Don’t throw away all that money & burn all of those new wrinkles permanently into your face & suffer through that hacking cough that never seems to dissipate.

Turn your back and walk away with your spirits high & your dignity intact.

Great list! I don’t know the Fornerol wine, but +1 on the other 4.

I listed probably 8 wines in the post you quoted alone that I would consider gateway wines. now if OP is looking for epiphany wines- sure I agree with you. But IMO those are very different. people don’t have to lose their mind over gateway wines, they just need to get hooked on the idea. Meo camuzet and Barthod’s Bourgognes can absolutely do that. to me, a gateway just needs to make someone think “wow… if this is what the sub-$50 wine is… imagine what the $100 wine is like!”

Agreed on the L’arlot. And with Matt. Lots of nice wines on this list, but for starting to know Burgundy, sub<$50 is hard.

But the suggestions here might be helpful to the offline.

Drinking a 2016 Billard Gonnet Bourgogne tonight that clocks in around $35-40. Wasn’t impressed at all the first hour and then Pretty awesome from there. Very traditional/earthy, I wonder if this mostly Pommard?

Ha- i came here to say Serpentieres.

Morot is fine !! All the Beaunes, but
also the Savigny La Bataillere aux Vergelesses …

Wines that will show well in their youth-
Didier Fornerol (both red and white)
Maison Thiriet (both red and white)
Domaine Julien (red)

Agree with several of the above recos, but these will show you want you are looking for now

The Marsannays from Charles Audoin are all great values and I prefer them over the base Bourgogne bottlings from a lot of producers. I do also agree with the recommendation to dabble in a few high-quality producers’ village offerings at a slightly higher entry price to get a view into the upper leagues.

Thanks,
fred

Almost forgot, perhaps the best qpr in burgundy; sigaut.

I am convinced that Lumpp’s Givry 1ers are the finest sub-$50 red wines on earth.