QPR Burgundy?

I agree completely. It’s probably a good idea to try a high-quality wine relatively early in the process to see the end goal, but cutting your teeth on various styles of young burgs is a valid and affordable way to learn what you like and dislike. Worked for me anyway.

I agree…99% !

Here is what Meadows said : When it comes to the finest Burgundies, you may not always get what you paid for but you will never get what you don’t pay for. Meadows ( issue No. 9 in April 2003 ).

For me personally - in Quebec , Canada - the best QPR red burgundy is : Albert Bichot - Bourgnoge v.v. 2017 at CA $18.80 per - with automatic 15% off if you buy 12 bottles of more at SAQ-Depot.

I noticed that someone mentioned Duroche. I will add Domaine Felettig to the list here.

I had a bottle of duroche Gevrey vv recently which was amazing

Don’t be too concerned with critics scores on the Bourgogne and village wines, as they are obligated to score them lower. The wines can really dazzle and are a good way to get a feel for a producers style. 17’s are drinking well now.

Noticed Hudelot-Noellat’s 2017 Vosne Romanee getting good reviews around here, would spend up to try that one.

Berthaut-Gerbet’s 2017 Vosne Romanee is also really good. Her Fixin’s are more in your price parameters, and they are absolutely worth it.

[highfive.gif] [dance-clap.gif]

Vincent Dureuil’s Rully wines are pretty freaking delicious for never being more than $45. Also, you can find Genot Boulanger’s Pommard wines (Clos Blanc 1er Cru specifically) for under $45/$50 pretty easily. Those are awesome.

I went through a similar process over the past few years. I love good Bourgogne, and drink a fair amount but even Hudelot Noellat only gets you to a certain point. For my money, which like you is searching for sub $50 wines that really over achieve I’ve found Pavelot in Savigny and Joblot in Givry to be the best performers: .

Joblot Givry is probably my #2 in this category, right on the heels of Lumpp Givry. And Pavelot and Bize in Savigny are right there too (although Bize now usually goes for more than $50, which is unfortunate). Historically I’ve much preferred good wines from Givry/Savigny and other less prestigious appellations to basic Bourgogne wines that go for about the same price. Good Beaune wines from the negociants also fit the bill.

I guess I should look at Lumpp again, I last tasted through a few of his wines with the 2015 vintage but it looks like he too is going the way of Bize.

My top reds for under $50 over the past several years have been red CM from Ramonet and Bernard Moreau. Unfortunately, these wines are so hard to find in the US that I am not even sure what the current prices for them are.

That’s definitely a good idea, but isn’t a bit too much of a jump from Cali PN? Maybe one or two mature wines occasionally whilst focussing on something more like what the OP is currently drinking?

I’d focus on the youngest available vintages (from warmish vintges) 2017 or younger that will have lots of juicy fruit, yet still have the Burgundian stamp on them and go from there.

Whatever you do, don’t drink Burgundy in its ‘awkward’ stage between aroun 5 and 10 years of age unless you’ve seen recent reports that a particular wine is drinking well.

You were the one describing another Burgundy drinker as a martial artist who never rises up from a white belt despite years of training.

Do you have anything positive to say about Burgundy other than you need to spend lots money on it (and then you still might not get it)?

Thank you all for your responses - great start - going to look into Bourgogne

Lol wot? Instead of buying two $50 Burg cheapies, he can get one L’Arlot and get a pretty serious expression of Burgundy. Loved seeing the producers you mentioned to help out OP. Oh wait…

https://www.golden8wines.com/category-s/115.htm

For OP if he wants to dabble. Nothing but praise for Ryan Curry at Golden 8 Wines.

Lignier at $80 is a solid price. Pinson Les Clos looks great, too. Should stretch the $50 and try those.

[rofl.gif]

If there’s anything worth LOLing about in this thread, it’s the idea that burgundies less than $50 are crap, and that folks asking for good ones in that price range should be upsold.

1 Like

Lots of good recs already. In this price range, I think wines from Beaune or Pommard are likely to be most appealing to someone coming from California wines. But my specific suggestions are from Savigny-les-Beaune: the Guillemot Serpentieres that others mentions, the Marechal Savigny VV, and the Camus-Bruchon Narbantons (or any of their wines, really). For a few extra $$, the Lafouge Pommard Chanlins I think would really be a great choice – it may need lots of decanting. It’s hard to find, but does show on Wine-Searcher (though it’s the 2017 which I have not had, but wines from Lafouge have never disappointed).

Never said they’re crap. Just not what I consider gateway wines. But funny, considering you also added a wine above $50 to your recs.