'QPR' in Vosne?

*Grogu has entered the chat

1 Like

Wherever I go, he goes.

Grogu’s favorite wine: Frog’s Leap… I’ll see myself out [rofl.gif]

5 Likes

Well played, sir.

I’m also giggling about the Venn diagram of the Berserkers who are most likely to be interested in this thread, and the Berserkers who have no idea what you’re talking about.

1 Like

I’ve wanted to try Gerard Mugneret, whose Suchots and Boudots are still priced fairly. Just a year or two ago the Brulees was priced similarly but all the offers I see currently wouldn’t qualify as ‘value’. It has been suggested that they are reasonable still because the labels are so ugly :slight_smile:. I even tried ordering a mixed case a few years back from Morrell as prearrivals but they failed to deliver.

As Yao was suggesting I bought Forey Echezeaux for this for a few years starting in 2010, am wondering when I need to try the first bottle. I expect no time soon; they are supposed to be rustic / old school. His Petits Monts I’ve tried have run quite a bit less, come from a fairly prestigious vineyard, and have been approachable and satisfying if not mind-blowingly great.

It’s not Vosne proper but since this thread took a detour down to Nuits St. Georges, FWIW I’ve been liking the vintages of Ch. de la Tour Clos Vougeot VV I’ve tried. If you shop smart it can be occasionally well under $200 and drinking it doesn’t make me think ‘value’ wine.

Thanks for all the replies. My inquiry was meant to be broad and I wanted to see what people thought of as good value, not necessarily value wines. That’s also why I mentioned village wines and wines up to $300 because I wanted the option available to pick some GCs that might still be good values just as a great village wine can be a good value. Under $100 is fascinating but also narrows it quite a bit…

Thanks guys for the heads up on Gerard Mugneret! Picked up the last 5 bottles of 2017 Suchots at a closeout price of $140 with free shipping from Schneiders.

Bit boring this. Same old names. A new one here: Robert Sirugue. He makes wines under his own name and for another Domaine (sorry, I forget the name.) You can pick up his Vosne AC for well under $100 if you look hard enough.

James, I recall buying some of these from '99 to '01 which were excellent. Jolted my menory also some good wines from teh same era from Herve Sigaut. Another domaine we don’t hear much of.

This is another obvious one but I have had a number of good Faiveley Vosne Chaumes. Also Louis Jadot Vosne village and Beauxmonts can be quite decent, but need real patience.

Hudelot Noellat Vosne Beaumonts and Suchots can be top notch but I am uncertain of their pricing these days, but suspect they have crept up a fair bit.

I think they have a new winemaker which is good. I think Rosenthal dropped sirugue awhile back.

Shocked no one mentioned Guyon…

That’s because no one knows JP Guyon, Dennis…
;0
disclaimer, I am his US importer.
Sirugue too. (Arnaud, the son, makes wines under his own label as well, Domaine AS)

Coincidentally, just received an offer for a suite of Michel Gros Vosne premier crus? Any experiences especially wrt to oak treatment?

Up this thread I forgot to mention my favorite Vosne QPR:

Bruno Clair’s Vosne ‘Champs Perdrix’ is a villages, but it’s from 70+ year old vines and the vineyard abuts La Tache. It’s consistently excellent.

1 Like

They age fine and the oak integrates very well - I would give the 1ers at least 10-12 years.

1 Like

Yes, on the map it´s across the road from La Tâche, but in reality it´s a drop of almost 10 meters, completely different terroir and micro climate -
and not really cheap.

1 Like

My experience with Michel Gros is somewhat limited, so take this with a grain of salt. But the older vintages I’ve tried (not necessarily Vosne) have been big and oaky and unbalanced for my tastes. But the bottlings I’ve tried from the 2012 vintage forward (including some Vosne) have been much more balanced and interesting. I’ve been buying a bunch for the cellar this year from 2012 and newer.

1 Like

Tried any of them yet?

1 Like

seeing this thread being resuscitated…what’s everyone’s thoughts on lamarche’s suchots and chaumes?

Aren’t much of Lamarche’s holdings going to Liger-Belair on a long term lease next year? I thought I saw they were breaking up the domaine.