Quarantine Recipes - share some favorites!

The ‘Serves: 8’ is dependent on your being Victor or not. Actually, more like 24 if Victor. neener

Beef Daube

• Serves: 8
    Ingredients:
    4 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, excess fat trimmed, meat cut into 2-inch cubes
    1 750-ml bottle of dry red wine
    3 medium carrots, peeled, cut into large pieces
    1 large onion, quartered
    8 fresh thyme sprigs
    2 garlic cloves, halved
    2 bay leaves
    1 large fresh rosemary sprig
    1 4x1-inch strip orange peel (orange part only)
    2 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    5 tablespoons all purpose flour
    Chopped fresh parsley

Instructions: Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Remove beef from marinade; pat dry. Reserve marinade.

Cook pancetta in large pot over medium-low heat until fat is rendered, 5 minutes. Add chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is ètranslucent, 6 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.

Heat oil in same pot over high heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add beef to pot; cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to bowl with pancetta mixture. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add flour to pot. Whisk until flour browns, about 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in reserved marinade. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Add beef mixture and any accumulated juices to pot. Cover tightly; simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
Uncover; simmer until meat is very tender and liquid is reduced to sauce consistency, about 45 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate.) Spoon fat off top of daube. Remove carrots, quartered onion, herb sprigs, bay leaves and peel and discard. Bring daube to simmer, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.

So, that turned out OK, RPS? Two halves garlic cloves doesn’t sound nearly enough

Yeah, I upped it on the garlic to 5 cloves, and tripled the orange. Noms.

Is that pronounced like the name of the House Elf in Harry Potter? (DAW-bee)

doughb

I just made a huge pot of Ropa Viella. 4 pounds flat cut brisket, two thin sliced (with mandoline) large yellow onions, one each thin sliced red and yellow peppers, 8 cloves garlic, one can tomato chunks, one can roasted tomato chunk, fresh ground cumin, fresh ground red, green and black pepper, sweet paprika, just a bit of cayenne, one dried guaillo pepper, about a third of a tube of Italian tomato paste, tsp kosher salt, dried oregano, and about 6 ounces of left over 2002 Las Rocas Grenache that was lost in the basement of Mortons for a few years. Cook in the oven at 250 for about 9 hours. take off the fat cap on the side, shred the meat back into the sauce and put in the refrigerator. Reheat tomorrow. Always better on the second day.

Comte mushroom grilled cheese…

Sliced and saute mushrooms (I used the baby bellas) with diced onion and garlic. Add a splash of red sherry vinegar to taste. Stir in thyme if available. Mix in some of your comte to make a little creamy. Spoon onto slice of buttered bread (butter facing outside). Added more cheese. Put on the other slice of buttered bread (facing outside). Cook the bread on both sides.

Paired well with a red burg (given comte… mushrooms… bread…). Now that I am out of mushrooms… will try a comte grilled cheese…

That looks great, thank you for sharing. I will need to try it!

Because the pizza dough has been greased and cooked to a partial set before directly touching the pan, this stove-top technique can achieve a very crisp crust, without the risk of sticking or the hassle of over-heating an entire kitchen. My suggestion is to use a dough which has been made within the past day, so that the pizza crust remains light and airy.

Cast iron pizza

I made this for lunch today. I have sampled it. It is spectacular. The only changes I made was lean beef for turkey (we can’t get the turkey due to craziness) and I made my own black beans with Rancho Gordo Achoyte heirloom blacks from Oaxaca with a little sofrito from Goya. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe.

Yummy!
Thanks.

Ive got this going in the crock pot right now, my first ever one pot dish!

I had some rice left over, so I made a dashi broth and now I have congee. Will finish it with thousand-year-old egg and pork before serving.

For the dashi broth, soak kombu overnight, heat until just before it comes to a boil, then remove the kombu. Let the liquid cool off before adding bonito flakes, bring to a boil for 30 seconds, then strain.

While the broth is cooling after you remove the kombu, slice some lean pork into bite-sized pieces and marinate with salt, white pepper, and a little vegetable oil.

Add leftover rice to the dashi broth (1 part rice to two parts liquid) and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until your desired consistency.

Cut up the egg and add it with the pork to the congee. When the pork is done, so are you!

Made kimchee soondubu jjigae (spicy kimchee soft tofu soup) tonight. There are lots of recipes online, and it is easy to make. I don’t have anchovy broth, so we substitute vegetable or other broth, depending on what is in the cupboard. If you like spicy food, this is for you.

Sheepshead Shrooms
Serve this on pasta, or rice, or top your fav grilled meat, or on tasted sourdough Oh my!

1 lb Maitakis–can mix with criminis is so desired.
2 TBS oil
2TBS butter
1/4 C finely chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 C beef or chicken stock
Splash of red wine.
Sprinkle of grated Pecorino or Parm
Parsley for garnish

Brown onion and garlic in butter and oil less about 5 mins.
Break down maitaki mass into 2" long narrow pieces (coarsely chop ciminis) and add to browned onion and garlic with stock and wine,
Simmer for about 10 mins until liquid is reduced, leaving adequate liquid for topping pasta, drier for topping meats
Salt and pepper to taste.

Air fryer 5 spice wings:

2 lb chicken wings (flats/drummies)
1 cup corn starch
5 spice powder
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper

Place wings onto a baking sheet, pat w/paper towel on each side to remove excess moisture. Sprinkle moderate amount of 5 spice powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper over wings, flip and repeat. Put corn starch into a mixing bowl, dredge wings in batches and shake off excess. Place coated wings into air fryer basket and cook for 25-30 minutes @ 350F-400F, shake basket 2-3 times during cooking process (I have a Phillips air fryer, usually do 25 minutes at 350F and then switch to 400F for final 3-5 minutes to crisp up). Remove wings from air fryer and allow to cool for 8-10 minutes.

Korean-style glaze (not my recipe but slightly modified):

1/2-2/3 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Gochujang paste (sub Asian-style red chili paste if you can’t source)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or more to taste)

While the wings are cooking, set chopped cilantro aside and combine all other glaze ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together, raise heat to high and bring to a boil; quickly lower heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Once wings have cooled, place into a mixing bowl. In batches, pour glaze over wings and toss until coated. Repeat with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately as is or accompany w/ranch, blue cheese dressing and/or favorite dipping sauce.

A tasty Chili that’s simple and quick. (Chili and bean arguers can start a new thread)

Chili Stew

1lb+ lean ground beef
Medium onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1-1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp pepper
1 Tsp Chili powder
1/2 Tsp Celery salt
1/8 - 1/4 Tsp Cayenne depending in taste
Big pinch of Thyme
Big pinch of Marjoram
14oz can ready cut tomatoes
1 can Kidney beans (do not drain)

Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft, add meat and brown, add spices and stir then add beans and tomatoes. Simmer 30 minutes minimum. Serve over white rice with crusty French Bread.

Going to dust off that bread machine.

Same here. Mixing bowl, wooden spoon, flour, yeast, and water.