Quarantine Recipes - share some favorites!

Didn’t take you long to get up on that high horse, did it Victor?

Same modest equipment and ingredients, for the past thirty years.

Horse? Where? We can sell as meat soon.

[stirthepothal.gif] Believe me, I’d much prefer to make it myself, but since I am working at the warehouse I can’t very well do that. [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]

[winner.gif]

Mixing bowl, hands, flour, yeast, water And bench scraper

Made dough as such for aforementioned pizza.

Smoked Pork Shoulder with Salsa Verde:

Remove half of a smoked pork butt from freezer that was left over from God knows when and thaw.

Take about 12 ounces of tomatillos, 1-1/2 large yellow onions and 6 cloves garlic. Put in greased iron fry pan and roast in oven at 450 until they start to brown. Deglaze pan and then let cool. Puree all contents including the deglaze liquid in blender.

Remove bones and any remaining fat and other crud (an official term) from the pork and put it in enamel casserole. Pour Salsa Verde on top. Bake in oven at 350 for about an hour. Add about a half cup of cream to the cooked stuff because there’s not enough liquid. Add some salt because you forgot. Stir. Serve either over rice or topped by fresh made coleslaw.

Of course, I then baked the dough in my regular oven. No point in wasting money to buy a bread machine. Especially in these hard times.

Cool oven Victor!

Big enough to cook that aforementioned high horse. With room left over, to cook a side dish of noodles.

Very frugal of you.

It was free. I went dumpster diving at Santa Anita.

I made stew tonight for my Dad and brother for tomorrow.
D4CA3EEB-7673-4EC5-AA60-BB2C0D4B454B.jpeg

With WFH roasted pork shoulder is not just for weekends without plans anymore.

Here is my favorite recipe:

That looks delicious, Jay. I imagine I’d have to get a skin-on pork should from a butcher, as I don’t recall ever seeing one in a supermarket. How do you “attack” it when it’s done? Slice, pull…?

Scissors.

My local shop rite has Pork Shoulder (butt) with skin every time I’m there. Maybe I’m just lucky? I do a combination of slicing and pulling depending on use. But yes, the skin is the best part.

Edited to add: Victor’s suggestion of scissors for the skin is a good one.

I made stew also—used a 24 oz Flannery NY strip that I chopped up and sautéed with onion, added tomato, carrots, green pepper, potatoes, various spices. Delicious.

Yumm I used pork tenderloin!

last week I made chili verde w pork shoulder and pork tenderloin. Delish!

Not a formal recipe but quick and easy .

Chicken Picatta (sort of ).

Dredge chicken cutlets in flour.
In the interim , mix some chicken broth , lemon juice , and cooking (or white ) wine . Amount depends amount of chicken.

Cook on both sides in oil until outside cooked well (not burnt).
Add some liquid (not too much so that the chicken boils in liquid) and continue to cook on both sides (flipping occasionally). Keep adding liquid as necessary into chicken until most is absorbed . Add some liquid on top when serving .

A new family favorite.