Quarantine Recipes - share some favorites!

These should keep me going for a bit. Just arrived today off the recent sale

Recipe will be
salt
reverse sear

Flannery Quarantine supplies.jpg

Chicken in Chutney Cream Sauce

Pound thin and then dredge some boneless chicken breast in flour. Shake off excess and brown in butter and olive oil. Keep warm in the oven. In the same pan, add about 1 tsp finely minced ginger and cook quickly. Degalze with some Madiera and cook until mostly gone. Add chicken stock, about 3 tbsp. Major Grey chutney, green onions, and chicken stock. Simmer and reduce. Add some heavy cream, and reduce a bit more. Add chicken back to the pan to warm and thicken slightly, but don’t overcook chicken.

Serve with rice.

500BABB5-AC52-4A26-8855-91E78FF34EAB.jpeg
looks like mine. I’m going to build a cow.

I threw an 18 pound prime brisket on the smoker at 6am just to have something to do today. Will that feed a family of 5?

Chicken Cacciatori;
Made a huge batch two days ago and it was a hit.
Having a 12 quart Le Cruset helps.
You can literally make up your own variation.
Chicken thighs and breasts in my version.
San Mar Tomatoes
Red wine (Le Vielle Ferme for $9 in mine)
Green and Red bell peppers
Black olives, pitted
Calabria peppers-I used the jarred variety
Mushrooms (crimini in my case, lots)
Onion, garlic, fresh rosemary, and fwiw, I threw in a bunch of fresh basil.
I used a whole head of garlic, about a dozen cloves, rough chopped.
Sear the chicken after seasoning with S+P
Cook down the onions, garlic, and pepper til wilted.
Dump in the tomatoes and wine and then add the chicken on top.
Bake at 300 for three hours. Half way through, push the chicken down into the sauce.
Serve over your favorite pasta-something course like penne.

Pierogi yesterday. First time and turned out better than I expected. Hit the spot.
2DDD4052-7E69-4A2F-BF9F-F6AD204AC159.jpeg

I am having that exact meal (plus ham) next weekend. My mom has a series of youtube videos showing how to make pierogi - I’ll look for it and post it. She has been making them for 60+ years every Christmas Eve.

Here they are …
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIvjw56CofvaOg9RK2usaNw

Thank you. I’ve never been good with dough of any kind, and this is probably about as good as I’ve ever been able to manage. I’m sure there’s just a feel to it that only comes with experience, and I’ve never iterated enough or had anyone great at it to follow (my grandmother was spectacular; unfortunately she passed before I was smart enough to learn).

We ran out of ice cream and chocolate candy, so we had to look around the house for some sort of dessert. Found a bottle of Hershey’s Dark Chocolate sauce, a jar of Mrs. Richardson’s Caramel Sauce and several bags of microwave popcorn. Dipping popcorn provided exercise and the perfect balance between sweet and salt. Can’t decide which dipping sauce is better but we are rationing them until Amazon delivers replacements.

These were most of the key dry ingredients, of 34 total, for my first attempt at making mole negro. I used an amalgam of recipes and had to do a few rounds of adjustments to taste. Nine seemed to call for enough chocolate/cocoa. Really, I don’t think any of the recipes on their own would have worked as well, and there is a significant variation in recipes. It turned our pretty well, but holy bejesus was it a lot of work. Thank god for spare time. I made a huge batch, froze some, and shared some with 4-5 others.
DD2B3B11-9A57-45C6-B021-E447468020A2.jpeg
43643221-E54B-4763-98FC-89BDD0C76B7C.jpeg
3C8172A5-3182-4DC3-B560-9E431B2B1EDF.jpeg
526EB04B-053C-4AFC-B1B2-A5EF479B8DA4.jpeg
BD8FEBD6-2673-4823-98CE-565049879919.jpeg

geez, nothing too keto-friendly (other than Jay’s pork dish and Sarah’s lamb soup - the latter looks like more effort than I want and the former requires me to go shopping - but next trip).

Ok, here’s a recipe that is quick and easy and satisfies the craving for Indian food quickly.

1.5 pound (or more) broccoli, cut into largish bite-sized pieces
1 pound peeled shrimp
2 t. cumin seed
2 t. coriander seed
3-5 dried chilis or 1 t cayenne (or more)
1-2 salt
2 T oil (not olive oil)
1-2 lemons

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

grind up seasonings to fine powder; toss broccoli with most of the oil and seasonings. Put on rimmed cookie sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes until nicely browned on one side. Meanwhile, toss peeled shrimp with remaining oil and seasonings. Flip broccoli and add shrimp to pan and return to oven for 2-3 minutes, flip shrimp and roast for another minutes (how long you cook shrimp dependent on how big but don’t overcook). Wipe out bowl, zest lemon into bowl, dump in roasted shrimp and broccoli and squeeze lemon over the top.

After you have made this once, you can get it from basic ingredients to dinner table in under 30 minutes. Great at room temp the next day if you have any left over. Feel free to increase portions.

Niece just sent this recipe, says it is GREAT… No Yeast Beer Bread

Gonna make it right now.

Pasta Puttanesca

Sauté an onion w some salt.
Add a couple cloves of smashed garlic and some red pepper flakes near the end.
Meanwhile, start your pasta water.
Add a can of drained tomatoes and start to cook it down.
Break up the tomatoes well. Add some pitted olives, kalamata or whatever, add some capers, add some chopped up anchovies or a healthy squirt of anchovy paste. Cook until it starts to thicken. Add a bit of chopped flat leaf parsley near the end.
Start your pasta. Linguini or spaghetti are more traditional, but whatever you’d like.
Toss the al dente pasta into to sauce, heat for a few seconds and serve. Add some pasta water if too thick.
Garnish w some parmigiano and more flat parsley.
CED939BD-03E3-4538-9524-94A5C8328667.jpeg

Minimal clean up meal
I did have one pot to clean from blanching the green beans and potatoes.
Thighs, tomatoes, zucchini, spring onions and baby eggplants.
7D77ED66-665C-41D8-ACCD-1ECBDB5A7111.jpeg
Second batch of veggies and the start of the chicken breasts
25FE364A-2B68-40E6-AAF2-5F4D6AC771B5.jpeg
Finishing the breasts
36233C26-9641-4033-9AB7-A1D94CA6E531.jpeg
Finished veggies
47AA5289-0B5B-4539-B707-149B585122D2.jpeg

No real recipe but day 26 quarantined and trying to stretch a weekly grocery run and keep vegetables, etc for longer. Took 2 pounds cremini mushrooms and roasted in oven for few minutes, cooled then popped in frig. Lasted a week in various things. I also have lots of dried mushrooms as well. Get a CSA of vegies so take the spring onions and sear in skillet and add vinegar of choice and roast covered 325 for 25 minutes (adapted from Ruffage cookbook). Still tasting good after a week in multiple items (sandwiches, pizza, risotto, etc.). Just like pickling, vinegar (acid) keeps things longer. Make lime avocado sauce with avocado and lime juice, cilantro, garlic, cumin and a touch of jalapeno/serano and sugar, all vitamixed (from Rouxbe). Keeps well for up to week. Reduced expectations and stay at home!

I’ve mentioned before on this board, but will mention again - I strongly recommend keeping a container of red onions pickling in the fridge. Slice red onion thin or on a mandoline and cover with a mixture of red wine vinegar and water. You can add a little salt and sugar if you want, but we don’t feel it’s at all necessary. They are ready to eat in an hour or so, and will keep longer than you’ll keep them. Then we just refill the container with more onion and top up the liquid when necessary. We use them almost daily in green salads, on sandwiches, in tuna/chicken/egg salad, with scrambled eggs, on avocado toast, and anything else where you want a little lift. I have trouble with the strength of raw onion in my mouth - I taste onion for hours afterwards - but this calms down the bite.

Just made this Carrot-Ginger-Cream soup. Easy, and good. We did 50-50 chicken-veggie stock.

So here’s one for the stay at home crowd. While researching how to make double cream I came across a recipe for making clotted cream. It’s really easy and really time consuming so it’s ideal for being stuck at home.

Preheat oven to 175 to 180 degrees F (80 degrees C).

Pour cream into shallow glass or ceramic baking dish (an 8- or 9-inch square pan is ideal). Cream should be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep.

Place dish in preheated oven. Bake 12 hours. Do not stir. Carefully remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or until completely chilled.

Turn over a corner of the top layer of thickened cream; carefully pour liquid underneath into a container to use for baking.
Pack the thickened (clotted) cream into a ceramic crock or canning jar. Cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
Insanely good, rich cream for biscuits and scones!

Footnotes
Chef’s Note:
This works best with good quality cream, preferably from grass-fed cows with a fat content of between 36% to 40%. Avoid anything that says “ultra-pasteurized,” since it’s been heat-treated, and you’ll not get the same results.
Most modern ovens go down as low as 175-180 degrees F (80 degrees C), which is ideal for this technique. 200 degrees F (95 degrees C) will work, but maybe check after 10 hours, and see how things look.

I have mine in the oven now - will come out at 7:30pm and be refrigerated overnight. Tomorrow I go across the street for scones :slight_smile:

Thank you, Sarah. This is working out beautifully. I even added a tbs of Zatarain’s Crab Boil (spice mix, not liquid) to the concoction, and that kicked it up a notch.

Great! So glad to hear you’re enjoying. The crab spice sounds like a good idea. I love things like this that are totally simple and yet make a huge difference in flavor.