Question for Bordeaux Lovers

I wonder where La Mission Haut Brion should go in this; IMO it deserves a mention for sheer consistency and being a bit cheaper than Haut Brion

Simply, because Malescot almost always impresses me.

1st: out of my price range, but Lafite would take it if I could afford it regularly
2nd: Pichon Lalande
3rd: Calon Segur
4th: Branaire-Ducru
5th: Lynch-Bages

Not part of 1855, but still a favourite: Figeac

Tough call.
For 1. Cru i vote Latour (what else, lol)
As you might know the 1855 classifikation is kind of obsolete for many reasons.
I.e. Palmer is better than many second crus and on the other hand some second crus are worse than fifths. Palmer performs with top quality almost every year but is far away from being moderate priced imo.
Another topic is vintage/ apellation/ chateau performance, right/ left bank year and so on.
In 2016 its simply easy cause each apellation performed excellent.
So if you ask for 2016 only, my answer for pqr will be:
2. Leoville Barton
3. Calon Segur
4. Beychevelle
5. Grand Puy Lacoste
P.S.: will be my recommendation for 2019 left bankers too, interestingly…cave: bias

Haut-Brion
Leoville Las Cases
Palmer
Talbot *
Lynch-Bages

*would prefer another 5th growth like GPLacoste

Haut Brion
Montrose
Palmer
Branaire Ducru
Lynch Bages

Today, that would be my list for quality regardless of price. Outstanding wines.

If I had to make some price adjustments, which I actually do in my own life, it could be:

1. I rarely buy them (Vieux Chateau Certain would be my equivalent, which I do buy)
  2. Leoville Barton - easy decision, a Chateau I have bought since I got hooked on Bordeaux
  3. Calon Segur (Ferriere, as a sleeper)
  4. Brainaire Ducru
  5. Grand Puy Lacoste - The QPR of the 5ths with Cantemerle as the consistent back-up)

I think the stars of the 5th Growth eclipse many of the wines of upper Growths, and likely would be 2nds today. Lynch Bages is a 2nd.

1 Like

I used to be a fan of Leoville Poyferre (say the 1966 and 1970) but have not liked more recent vintages.

1 Like
  1. I go back and forth between Latour and Haut Brion - I think Latour is the most consistent of the first growths and performs best even in off-vintages (I dream about the 1966 and the 1996 and had a 1982 out of Magnum from the Chateau which was just incredible), but the elegance and minerality of Haut Brion just gets me (the 1998 is just remarkable)!
  2. Gruaud Larose, Pichon Longueville Baron, Pichon Comtesse de Lalande, Montrose (first time I had the 1990 I couldn’t stop thinking about it for weeks) - lot of great 2nd growths, but these are the ones I search out.
  3. Calon Segur
  4. Have had some good bottles, but none that I consistently follow.
  5. Grand Puy Lacoste, Lynch Bages, Pedesclaux (This has improved in recent vintages), Cantemerle (great qpr, just drank a 1996 and was very impressed), Pontet Canet.

Right Bank - Petrus obviously, VCC, L’Eglise Clinet, Canon, Canon La Gaffeliere, Valandraud, La Conseillante, Cheval Blanc and Angelus.

1 Like
  1. Haut Brion - a very tough choice but such consistently wonderful wines.
  2. Pichon Lalande - Montrose is a close second but I just adore PLL. Montrose is starting to get pretty close on pricing which helps.
  3. Calon Segur - Palmer is absolutely wonderful and if it wasn’t so much more expensive than the super seconds outside of Leoville Las Cases, it would be my choice here. However, I never find myself buying it. If I really want an occasional splurge, I reach for a first. Otherwise, I focus on the lower tier wines.
  4. Talbot but I don’t feel particularly strongly.
  5. Lynch Bages - so consistent over the past 40 years (and potentially longer than that for those with deeper cellars that me).
1 Like

That probably started in 1996. But before that, Barton was more fruit forward than Poyferre.

1 Like

This is why I asked this question. Wouldn’t have considered Lafon Rochet. However, the future/EP price looks attractive.

I think it is more that using the 1855 classification doesn’t really add anything. You are right, it is difficult to come up with a value question, as there are multiple vintages of any wine floating around. My thought is to be more specific; for instance what Bordeaux in the $100-150 price range would you recommend, and then do it for any price that you are interested in. I would ask for suggestions of actual wines including the year.

That being said, I will offer some values. The sub $200 Vieux Chateau Certan 2014. I have bought cases of the stuff, and drink it regularly, as for some reason it has not closed down. My wine of the vintage, and and although slightly more classic than other VCCs, I would put it right up there with their best. Haut Bailly 2008. This has closed down, but it has been another wine that seemed to outperform better and more expensive wines that year. And finally, Giscours 2010 and 2016. I have a soft spot for Giscours, as the 1979 was my Eureka wine. Those wines were brilliant in the 1970s, went through a down period and have re-emerged with some stellar wines and good values. Those two in particular.

What the hell! One more Issan 2010. Good stuff and well priced.

1 Like

My thoughts when I read Howards list were…if these 5 every year, then bankruptcy.

Appreciate the sentiment. I think you are reading me right. Maybe just ask everyone for their QPR of the last 20 years in Bordeaux that is a classified wine. Like a list of sleeper wines. The problem is that I want a notch above the traditional answers on these boards which is usually Sociando, Meyney, Tour Saint Christopher, etc. when I looked through old posts.

Haut-Brion
Pichon-Lalande
Calon-Segur
Duhart-Milon
Grand-Puy-Lacoste

1 Like
  1. I can’t afford them for the most part but Haut Brion would be the one.
  2. Pichon-Lalande
  3. D’Issan – Palmer is out of my price range.
  4. Branaire-Ducru
  5. Grand-Puy-Lacoste

Ed

1 Like

I personally think Pichon Baron is the most consistent wine that shows QPR and can give a 1st Growth experience. Montrose and Lynch Bages are close.

The ultimate left bank value is Grand Puy Lacoste.

1. 1st growth… I have some from the mid 90s to early 2000s but wont be buying any of the new release.
  2. Either Cos D’Estournel, Montrose, any of the 3 Leovilles, maybe Lascombes for price
  3. Calon-Segur, Lagrange or if i wanna blow some $$ Palmer
  4. Duhart-Milon or Beychevelle
  5. Pontet-Canet, Grand Puy Lacoste or Lynch Bages
1 Like

I’ll be the contrary cat here and point out that you can generally always find the cru classe wines later on, at auction/retail/private sale. You don’t have to actually cellar, store, insure, commit capital to holding wines with 10-50k case productions just to be sure you will have a bottle to drink in the future.

1 Like