Question for Bordeaux Lovers

Very true. I think there are certain circumstances though that lead people to prefer buying on release, mainly pricing, for example we saw quite attractive pricing in the 2019 EP campaign, and provenance, some people just prefer knowing and ensuring the full storage and provenance of the wines that they consume.

1 Like

Don’t forget that the cru classes are an ancient snapshot, your next question needs to be about non-classified growths.

2 Likes

Same here. For my preferences, and buying power, 2nd growth and 5th growth are the most loaded “divisions,” if you will.

1. Latour
  2. Pichon Lalande
  3. Palmer
  4. Branaire-Ducru (difficult to choose. I am in agreement that some 5th growths are punching above this weight class)
  5. Pontet- Canet

Paul, thanks for the tip. I do agree. Maybe a question about non-classified left bank chateau options? As it is, I think that I see many more right bank that match that category. Any thoughts on a few you might recommend?

Agree completely. However, in 3rd growth I have much more Malescot than Palmer just because of price. And I would much prefer Pontet-Canet (5th) over Talbot or Branaire-Ducru (4th) and yes, over GPL.

The hard part of this for me has always been buying 1 bottle Haut-Brion instead of 3 bottles of Montrose, Cos, Ducru, Pichon-Baron, Pichon-Lalande, L-B, etc. So I have lots of beautiful 2nd growths in my cellar as a result.

I drink little from the right bank, it often comes across as heavy when I do.
In terms of left bank, prices are generally reasonable for non classified growths so you can afford to experiment.
St Estephe is great in warm vintages, like 18 and 19, so Meyney, Le Boscq, Phelan Ségur etc are worth trying. Angludet from Margaux is a long term favourite. There is lots of advice on this site about Haut Medocs like Lanessan to try.
From further south in Graves/Pessac Léognan properties like la Louviere and Bouscaut can be fun as well.

1 Like

I have never had a Branaire i really liked and have found Beychevelle much more consistent than Talbot

I loved the old Beychevelles, classic Bordeaux that aged beautifully. The new ones have added several coats of gloss, and are richer, sightly amorphous wins, which I no longer buy, but taste in the hope that they are reverting to their old selves.

Branaire tends to be really good solid wines, and alongside Issan and Giscours good examples of Bordeaux. But the 2005/Branaire is head and shoulders above anything else I have tasted from the chateau.

The 82 Branaire is or was fantastic.

Had that a couple months ago at The Grille in NYC. The steal on the menu at $450. It was gorgeous.

Any Bordeaux lover than did not stock up on Branaire in 2016 and 2019 is missing the boat. A major winner.

2 Likes

I thought the 16 Branaire was excellent (and so outstanding value) at the UGC. I loaded up on it and subsequently the 19 and 20 too.

The son, Patrick, is in charge these days and I think he’s upped the game notably at Branaire.

From the same appellation, Langoa Barton as well in 2016 and 2019.

1 Like

Have you drunk one of your 2005s yet?

Not yet, but looking forward to them, giving your praise

1 Like

Yeah, the 16 Langoa was another big standout at the UGC.