Question: What pairs well with steak tartare?

You may be the only one, then. :wink:

Lots of people don’t care for rose, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say it’s not food friendly.

In general I agree that rose is food friendly. I did run into a rose recently that I loved and was otherwise food friendly, except that it had bit tannin on it, causing it to clash a bit with spicier food and a few other pairings. But I get there’s exceptions in all of these cases and this doesn’t disprove the general point.

I’d argue that little bit of tannin is one of the things that makes it as food friendly and versatile as it is, and can give it an edge over white wines in many circumstances. I wouldn’t pair rose with Szechuan or the like either, but, as you said, that doesn’t disprove the general point.

Austrian Riesling!

Interesting; that’s why I generally dislike it with food. That said in general I tend to dislike rose champagne and pair regular champagnes with almost everything.

Nebbiolo, Beaujolais, Champagne, a dry Lambrusco, or Dry Riesling (preferably Austrian or Alsatian) would be my first picks. Surprised no one has called out Beaujolais or Lambrusco, as they seems fairly perfect.

I would also be curious to see if an orange/amber wine would work as well, but you’d want to make sure its one (of the many) with good acidity…some might be too flabby. Not at all sure about this pairing, but as I say, I’d love to test it.

I also think Lagrein, Zweigelt and Blaufrankisch might work well if they were made in a low oak and “fresh” (i.e. lighter, high acid) style.

Austrian Riesling is a good choice, but Austrian Grüner Veltliner is better still (in most instances) …

I always thought the classical match was BoJo. But I don’t eat it.

Good one!

Made me want some right now!!!

Thinking on it, we don’t use onion (or Oder it) in ours, so that may also affect my opinions.

I totally agree! champagne.gif

Me either. The first question I ask at any restaurant with beef tartare is if it is “pre-mixed”, or if they can make it with no onion or shallot (perhaps with garlic instead). Raw onion is just such a crude, overpowering flavour. In general I hate it on anything, but I guess it’s okay on foods that otherwise have a huge flavour (e.g. on chili, on a loaded burger, etc.). (Curiously I don’t have the same view of garlic).

I agree about raw shallots/onions…pickled shallots can work well tho!

And a very good one it is.

Wow! You guys rock! I was expecting to get flamed, actually!

Pulled “What to Eat With What You Drink” from the bookshelf and these are the bolded pairings for steak tartare, all of which got named except for Chianti Classico:

Beaujolais
Champagne
Chianti Classico
Pinot Noir
Rose

I can see I’m no-one to you then.

Sorry, I was skimming through the thread and missed that!

me too!
Well put Sarah.

It’s my preferred pairing with pizza, too.

Oh yes! A medium bodied rose is definitely my preferred with a simple margherita made with best ingredients. Many other pies, too. It provides a great springboard for the savory, sweet and salty, and slight herbaceousness without interfering.