r/WineEP Champagne / Sparkling Wine Christmas Tasting (London)

A (mostly) champagne and English sparkling wine tasting was organised the other week in London showing off a great selection and range of wines. They were all (bar the Nyetimber) served blind and in pairs (so wines 1 & 2 together, 3 & 4 etc.)

Thanks to @generalnegroni for organising and @prolificity for his notes below!

If you are interested in these events please do join the discord (Link: WineEP) where events are organised all over the world including an upcoming one in NYC. Please shout if interested!

Nyetimber NV - dry, easy drinking. Bit of pastry and lemon zest finish.

Wine no. 1 (Chavost) - light, floral. Jasmine and very light peach. Nice as an aperitif, but not one to stand up to heavy food. I can see myself serving this with caviar or anchovy canape.

Wine 2 (Sugrue Trouble with Dreams ’18) - more intense than 1, higher acid. Probably had reasonable time on lees? I like it, but I wouldn’t want to drink a whole bottle.

Wine 3 (Casa Caterina Cuvée 60 Zero BdB) - honey and oxidisation. Looks like Sauternes in the glass. But once you get past the powerful cheesy attack, it fades quickly. Baby krug, but with emphasis on baby.

Wine 4 (Delamotte 2014 BdB) - bdb, complex nose, pastry and almond. Opened more as it got warmer. Excellent balance.

Wine 5 (Chapel Down Bacchus 2020) - I think maybe flawed? Acetone, not much else.

Wine 6 (Charlie Herring the Bookkeeper) - very nice and high quality cider, both on open and finish. Being generous, I’ll say it has apple and acid in good balance.

Wine 7 (Bollinger La Grande Annee 2012) - really tasty champagne. Excellent balance. Would buy. Post- reveal, and with more warmth this really comes into its own.

Wine 8 (Egly-Ouriet Brut Grand Cru) - more powerful than 7, but less complex

Wine 9 (Rathfinny Rosé) - light strawberry, acidic finish. I’m guessing English?

Wine 10 (Rathfinny Classic) - slightly nondescript, NV sparkling wine that I’d expect to have served on trays at a party, wouldn’t be disappointed at all.

Wine 11 (Marguet Shaman Champagne Grand Cru 2018) - marzipan, slight sweetness? Coppery colour white still being white, very moreish. I’m guessing excellent qpr here, would definitely serve it at an event over 9 and 10.

Wine 12 (Ferrari Perle 2017) - decent but sharp fruit, slightly overpowered by acidic finish. Not one I’d buy.

Wine 13 (2000 Pol Roger SWC) - honey, candied ginger. Very mild bubbles. Round, roasted nuts, yeast and butter and shortbread. More refined than the other yeasty wines we’ve had.

Wine 14 (Jacques Picard Arte de Vigne 2007) - unbalanced, slightly stewy vegetables.

Wine 15 (Sugrue Trouble with Dreams ’17) - tasty, nice champagne. Elegant bubbles.

Wine 16 (An Italian sparkling) - yeasty, nicely balanced, very complete wine.

Wine 17 (2015 Pierre Gimonnet Grand Cru Special Club Oger)

Wine 18 (Marchese Antinori Donna Cora Satèn 2016)

Wine 19 (The Wine Society NV Champagne)

Wine 20 - (Chapel Down Brut)

3 Likes