Really expensive Cast Iron Skillets

How did the transaction and shipping go (and how long did it take)?

Pans look cool.

transportation and shipping went well via DHL. Pans need seasoning before use.

I bought a set of deBuyer pans years ago on sale and have never gotten around to seasoning them. They’ve now moved houses with me twice.

I had quite the ordeal seasoning mine. Have yet to use it.

Seasoning Debuyer pans takes like 20 minutes and is simple. All you do is peel a few potatoes, put them in the pan filled with water and simmer for 20 minutes, hey presto fully season pan. Dont overthink it, plus the seasoning just builds up naturally with use, the trick is never to let soap or detergent anywhere near the pan

1 Like

I have a Field and a Butter Pat and love them both. Such a step up from the cheap cast iron that I had for many years that I know understand the love others have for a quality cast iron pan. I find that I am using these more and more and thinking of a few more.

I don’t remember anything about water. Oil yes, but not water.

The method i describe is straight off the label supplied on the pan

Sorry, confused my Matfer-Bourgeat with your De buyer. M-B has a wax coating.

all steel pans regardless of brand will have some coating when stored and shipped to prevent oxidation (beeswax in the case of de buyer). so that needs to be washed off prior to first use, as indicated in all the instructions that come with these things. and all steel pans must be seasoned in order to cook properly and the only way to do that is with fat. water does…nothing.

Well, not Kama-Asa: KAMA-ASA's hammered iron frying pan | Kitchen tool | KAMA-ASA (hand hammered, not cast).

Iwachu is another Japanese manufacturer of nice cast iron.

Blanc Creatives makes a terrific product.
The website also has a write up on how to smoke season which they say is their favorite way to season. They ship after coating with coconut oil and cooking.

https://blanccreatives.com/featured

no idea why, but likely because they’re shipping directly to a very small audience. but they’re not magically immune from chemistry. you don’t have to coat it, but it certainly prevents it from getting ruined in transit, storage, resellers, etc.

Yeah, thinking the same thing, but they do an initial seasoning on them. I’ve been to their shop in Tokyo and checked out the pans. Very nice, but there is a waiting list to buy them since they are all handmade.

PSA [cheers.gif]

There’s a 50% off sale tomorrow - https://www.darto.org/us/

I am ready CliftonD

Everything is out of stock [scratch.gif]

It’ll come in stock tnrw

Thanks!

Just got two 25" pans (one for a gift) and four small paella pans to use a serving dishes I can cook or grill in. Thanks for the heads up.