Realm Cellars Fall Release

Turley is real easy to buy in bulk and they age well so space quickly becomes in issue. I have most of mine boxed in an offsite wine locker. Bottles have to be inserted opposite every other bottle for them to even fit in those storage boxes.

Any feedback from the Houston Practical Dreamer tour stop last night? Iā€™m going to the Dallas tour stop tomorrow.

Andrew,
It was greatā€¦wines are very solid. Juan was there pouring as well. THey poured the 2016 Kata Bourn, solid wine. 16 Absurd was great. 17 Houyi stood out for me.

17 Houyi stood out for me at the LA event as well.

I really liked the 2017 Bard and bought my full allocation and wish listed two, which was granted.

Tom

It was a great event, the logistics were well handled (nice location, room was big enough, A/C down low enough, serving tables spaced out, plenty of good small bites food). Event was 5-8 pm. We showed up at 6 and by 7:30 the place was nearly cleared out. No particular notes, but here my favorites in order:

2016 Absurd - most integrated of the lot. Stood out head and shoulders above the rest.
2017 Dr. Crane
2012 BTK
2017 BTK
2013 Tempest
2017 Tempest - this stood out as being the most open and easy drinking of all.
2017 Moonracer - will easily pass the Tempest in 2 yrs or 2 hrs in a decanter
2017 Bourn
2017 Bard - this was good not great, on par with the 2014, but well behind 13, 15, and 16
2017 Houyi - came across as muted and not ready, based on other comments maybe was an off bottle
There was also a library Falstaff opened early that I didnā€™t get a chance to taste.

Absurd and Crane cleaned out first, BTK was next. I was a frequent revisitor.

No concerns on the 2017s at Realm, buy with confidence. $175 price of admission seemed very fair.

Did they have the Farella open? Specifically, the '16?

Not last night.

I drank a vertical of Farella a few months ago of 14, 15 and 16. The 16 really stood out for us. I normally wouldnā€™t have opened it. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Iā€™m surprised they shipped to the Bay Area today. 91 here today. When I took them into inventory they were warm to the touch. I know I picked the ship date, but normally it is not this warm.

Mine are being shipped Nov. 11th to the East Bay, 2nd day ground. I checked my email this morning to make sure no one was shipping this week. So far Iā€™ve only recurved two shipments out of ten. Myriad last week and Carter the week before.

Likewise. I contacted them Monday morning to see if they could hold the shipment considering it was projected to get to 85 in San Pablo (fulfillment center location) and was told any changes to the shipment date need to be make 2 weeks in advance.

Thatā€™s unacceptable. Realm needs to prepare for situations like this and have a better solution. I suspect there will be many returned orders which will cost more in the end? I called Myriad on last Friday and was no problem holding off shipping this week to SoCal, it was almost 100F in east San Diego yesterday. My friend had purchased his full allocation with Realm and it shipped on Tues, he was not happy. Hopefully, a bigger shipment helped keep his bottles cooler.

Realm has resolved my concerns - stellar customer service.

1 Like

I would have rejected those shipments if they shipped to me this week. Even with a ā€œpre-setā€ delivery date, the wineries need to check the weather and do weather holds when it gets hot like this. No reason to potentially ruin good wine by shipping in hot weather. Next week the temperatures are right back down to normal.

On a cooler note, I received the email heads up that the inaugural Realm (formerly Kata) Bourn will release on Oct 30. First come, first serve.

Reject it so that it goes back to the fulfillment center only to have ā€œreplacementā€ bottles sent? Iā€™d bet a lot of money youā€™d get the same bottles you just rejected.

FWIW I also had another shipment get sent on Wednesday from the same area although Iā€™m still awaiting a response on that so it wasnā€™t just a Realm thing.

I tried the ā€˜16 Bourn Beckstoffer on Monday at Realm and it was legit. Definitely will be trying to purchase some!

Canā€™t speak for the 2017 Kata/Realm, but we are currently 2/3rds through a 2016 and it is delicious. Vibrant fruit, balanced, structured, with refined tannins. This is a great wine now, and will be better in 5 years without a doubt:

duplicate