Realm The Absurd

I spent a bit of time at the new winery with Juan and Scott on Tuesday afternoon. Tasted both the '16 Bard and Farella. They are both amazing. Classic Realm house style, but surprisingly very approachable right now. These guys are really good people, and they have some exciting things planned. I think the wines are getting better with each vintage.

So, I count five people selling the Absurd or their full allocation. Is that right? Jake, Andre, Mike, Carlton and Erik.

From 2013 at $250 a bottle, to 2015 now $425, what’s up with this Absurd Napa inflation? Really sucks.

I’ve offered mine as well to any interested board members and have a deal pending.

Thus I am no longer a buyer. Love their wines and do not begrudge them if they are getting that price. But just not for me.

JD

Gotta pay for that shiny new winery somehow!

Anyone taste the Bard 2016 at the winery and also had the 14 or 15? If so, which previous vintage is the Bard 16 more similar too.

Simply read this thread. Haven’t tried it, don’t know it, hope it gets high scores, in for a case.

Same with Bordeaux futures.

Can’t blame them for raising prices. I’d keep raising them until it stopped selling out.

You went in for a case of the Absurd, wow, baller! BDX futures fluctuate based on the vintage, but I’ve yet to see a Napa flagship wine offer a lower price in the next vintage, even if it was a sub-par year (last example, 2011).

I don’t think Greg bought any. He’s just paraphrasing the thrust of many of the posts above.

In talking to Juan and Scott, I think their philosophy is to the the Absurd follow the (Absurd) pricing inflation for the ultra-premium NV cabs, while trying to keep the pricing on their other wines in a reasonable category. Considering many of the Napa cabs these days are $150+ (with some in excess of $300), getting the Tempest at $95, and The Bard at $110, that seems like a reasonable way to operate to me!

Third year on the list…first time offered Absurd…price is crazy but figure I’ll hold it for 15 years and drink on my 60th Birthday.

I’ve been a pretty large buyer of Realm.
Current allocation is
3 tempest
2 Falstaff .75 and 1 mag
39 The Bard .75 and 4 mag
8 absurd .75 and 2 mag

I just had the 2104 Bard this Saturday as a matter of fact. I have this as my go to wine that always pleases and at 110 you can’t go wrong. I always take my allocation full wish list because this to me is one of the best deals out there for high end wines. Love the label too.

I have been buying All the absurd I’ve been allocated and more from my wish list since 2012 and it’s killing me seeing the price hit 425. I called but they didn’t give any real rationale but saw on another post that they’re trying to keep other prices reasonable so I’ll accept that answer. That being said, I am going to go home tonight and open up a bottle of the 2013 absurd. This is my first time drinking the absurd as I’ve been saving all of them but I’m not buying the whole lot at that price without actually drinking it! I will post my view after that tasting. I’ve loved all of their other wines… Ta Kalon, Crane etc but have been buying the absurd because I believe in their brand and because the price point on the internet versus the allocation told me that it’s a good price. However as the price point goes up and I see less and less folks - based on the posting forgoing their allocation, I worry that there will be more parity of the price from allocation to internet price.

The Tempest is merlot, not Cabernet. The Bard at $110 and The Falstaff at $150 is Cabernet then into the $200’s for a Realm cab and now $425. Which is actually $450 shipped and taxed.

2013 Absurd on Monday night, way to start the week! Please post on CT, would love to see your notes. Cheers

So I actually opened a 2014 absurd. Was quite amazing. Needed to try last night as tonight I’ve got an international call and tomorrow is Decision day!

My palate is just not as good to notice the subtle differences betweeen this wine or a to kalon or crane. It was a little tight and wonder if I should have let breathe and warm to room temperature more. There were four of us drinking it and all were amazed with the smooth yet very structured and very very long finish. What was most interesting is that about five to 10 secs in i tastes another burst that lasted a while. That was the hallmark of a great wine. While I wish they could get a bigger production of the tokalon and crane as I’m very happy with those being top shelf wines, I am going to gobble up my allocation tomorrow but probably refrain from the wish list for the absurd. If you can post a pic I will submit.

Coincidently, we popped the 2014 Absurd a few weeks ago too, an awesome wine! Decanted about 6 hours. My notes:

2014 Realm Absurd- The most abstract of the bunch. The artwork definitely fits its character. Wild in flavor, multi-dimensional, and truly hedonistic, while keeping balance. Dark cherry fruit, cassis, vanilla, cloves, dark chocolate and underlying spice are very apparent. The finish lasts a minute. This wine really only needs another 5-7 years and it will be 100pts. Right now, a solid 98pts.

I can’t wait too try 15’, I’ve been hearing for a couple years it was better in barrel than even the 13’. Just wish it was under three bills, like the 13’.

OK. What’s your point?

Actually, Falstaff is Cab Franc based, but I’m still missing your point. Are you arguing relative value?

if anyone wants an absurd, pm me. at cost.

Absurdly all in,