Reccos for London & Amsterdam

In Amsterdam, go to Aneka Rasa for rijstaffel and Tales & Spirits for the best cocktails in the city.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will use them for sure. The trip is approaching.

Just adding to the Gymkhana love.

John, any report on how the trip went? Coincidentally I am also going to London and Amsterdam this fall.

In London try Noize 39 Whitfield Street WI in Fitzrovia. It is a small restaurant with a well thought out menu and wine list. The service is excellent. Also good in the same neighbourhood is The Ninth at 22 Charlotte Street.

Yesterday, Kitchen Table was elevated to Michelin **. So pleased for them.

Hedone closed on Saturday.

A real loss for London.

Gymkhana closed indefinitely due to a huge fire last week.

Oh no, terrible news. Glad the people are safe, and wish them all the best. We just made London plans for a few weeks from now and that was on the list to hit. Thanks for letting us know.

Some good options listed for London. I am looking for a good mid priced French place. Close to LSE if possible. Can anyone contrast Parsons vs J. Sheekey?

Reporting back from a trip to London and Amsterdam last month. Petit Pois Bistro in London -near Shoreditch -was a nice mid priced French bistro I would recommend and return to. I followed Lionel Nierop’s suggestion above (thank you) and visited Andrew Edmunds. Hand written daily menu, great half-bottle selection, cozy English bistro centrally located in Soho. In Amsterdam I would highly recommend Cafe de Klepel. Set 3 or 4 course menu (one or two of the courses being cheese and/or dessert) and a great wine menu, particularly glass pours. They bring the bottle and have you try it before pouring the glass pour and have special bottles on offer by the glass. Located on the edge of the Jordaan district and reasonably priced.

Cafe de Klepel is a must for wine lovers in Amsterdam. For a higher end meal, we had a ridiculous tasting menu at Restaurant Bord’eaux. Great wines at both places.

Only just noticed this. thank you for the information, it’s a must visit for us whenever we’re in London.

Thanks. Has anyone visited this place?
http://www.frenchiecoventgarden.com/

Yes. It is nothing like Frenchie in Paris, which I like. It has an a la carte dinner menu and, frankly, isn’t very good. I doubt Marchand has ever cooked there.

Sucks to hear, but thanks.

I’ve been there for lunch for the set menu, and it was fine, albeit not memorable. If in the area and convenient, 'd consider going back for lunch but unlikely to choose it for dinner (so many better options available).

But having seen Mark’s comment, might not go back for lunch either as I enjoy the places he does in general.

How about this place? And the duck?

It is fine, a pleasant meal and good-not-great duck, though the show is fun to watch and it’s an experience you can’t get easily these days. Definitely old fashioned and even nostalgic. I went with a friend who has a good relationship there and we had a lovely evening, but I doubt I’d go back on my own.