Received Detert email this morning

Previously the allocations said 3 and 3 before active but it looks like most if not everyone was updated to 2 and 6.

2 CF and 6 CS for me, but I guess that’s what the wish list function is for! [cheers.gif]

Same, 2 CF and 6 CS. Shame to see it drop. Guessing they have less 19 or maybe they are holding some back to sell next year as a library release if they have no 20 for sale.

Did Detert say they were not releasing a '20? Dakota shy released some 2020s so I wouldn’t be surprised if Detert did.

In for 4 CS - no email notification so glad I checked this thread!

Just got the release letter:

“One challenge that we are managing this spring is that our production of Cabernet Franc was smaller than expected in 2019. Despite excellent growing conditions, our yields were slightly lower and we have a little less Cabernet Franc available. We have therefore trimmed allocations of the Cabernet Franc. A positive note is that we do have a small amount more of Cabernet Sauvignon and you will see an increase in those allocations.”

1 Like

They did not, that was my own speculation. Their email answered this today. They have a tiny amount of 2020.

This is a tough decision for me. The drop to 2 bottles of CF, combined with the cost of shipping (nearly $20 a bottle) makes this one a tough sell. I took a quick look at vivino and I can get the 2018 CF for 105 with free shipping, 20% off code, and 4% Rakuten cash back. Essentially, I can get 3 2018s for the price of 2 2019s from the source.

Anyone have any notes/experience with cabernet savignon? - debating whether to purchase

More info including tasting notes From Detert’s release email:

“Spring has begun in our portion of the historic To Kalon Vineyard in Oakville. At Detert, spring means the release of our new vintage, buds beginning to push in the Cabernet Franc (marking the start of vintage 2022), bottling (a tiny amount of 2020) and the first racking of the last vintage (the spectacular 2021 wines).

This flurry of activity was preceded by some great press for our family’s wines. Our 2018 Detert Cabernet Franc was included in Wine Spectator’s Top 100 Wines of the Year for 2021. It is an honor to be chosen from among the thousands of international and domestic wines which Wine Spectator reviews each year to be in the Top 100. And the 2019 vintage wines received fantastic reviews (see below) from Antonio Galloni’s Vinous Media. The recognition for our wines always feels good.

One challenge that we are managing this spring is that our production of Cabernet Franc was smaller than expected in 2019. Despite excellent growing conditions, our yields were slightly lower and we have a little less Cabernet Franc available. We have therefore trimmed allocations of the Cabernet Franc. A positive note is that we do have a small amount more of Cabernet Sauvignon and you will see an increase in those allocations.

There have been an extraordinary string of vintages over the last decade and 2019 ranks among the top. It has the structure, freshness and power of the 2018s but with more immediately approachable aromas and flavors. The 2019’s are classic Detert wines that are structured for longevity - but their approachability will make them hard to resist now.

As always, our production is limited. We produced 270 cases of the 2019 Detert Cabernet Franc and 350 cases of the 2019 Detert Cabernet Sauvignon. If you are interested in these wines, we recommend that you purchase them now as they will sell out.

Tasting Notes from Antonio Galloni of Vinous Media:
2019 Cabernet Franc

Detert’s 2019 Cabernet Franc is bright, floral and full of energy. Sweet red berry fruit, rose petal, cinnamon and mocha all race out of the glass. Veins of vibrant acids and supporting tannin give the 2019 notable drive. The 2019 impresses with its freshness, nuance and sense of balance. It’s a gorgeous wine in every way. As always, the straight Franc bottling presents a much more red-toned fruit profile than the East Block Franc. 95 points

2019 Cabernet Sauvignon
The 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon is another fabulous wine from Detert. It is a bit reticent today, but that should not be an issue in time. This classically-built, medium-bodied Napa Valley Cabernet offers tons of depth as well as structure. It’s another super example of this sector of Oakville. The 2019 is not an immediate wine, though, so readers should plan on being patient. 95+ points”

I copy/pasted Detert’s release email (above) which includes Galloni’s Vinous tasting notes.

These aren’t overly rich or heavy wines but have a lot of complexity.

Forgive me if I’m repeating something already said (I didn’t see it), but I spoke to Tom and he said that the reserve offering should be 3 bottles in August-what a class act he is!

Anyone have any notes/experience with cabernet savignon? - debating whether to purchase

I’ve been a customer of Detert for about 15 years. The wines have always been a great value and remain so at these release prices ($100). I will say that they need time and reward cellaring. Both the Franc and the Cab are very good. If I remember correctly, the Franc typically has a good dollop of cab in it. Some vintages of Franc were labeled as 20% Cab S. Early on they can be dominated by wood flavors that are absorbed over time by the deep dense fruit as it unwinds in the bottle over time. Here is my TN recorded in March of 2021 for the 2007 Cab:

Last month I had the 2007 Franc, so I thought I would check in on the 2007 Cabernet. While the Franc was a bit subdued and savory in comparison, the Cabernet is big fruited and open for business. Rich, almost grapey blueberry scent with a nice floral lift and a nice spice and cedar note. Dark black purple color with no fading. Well balanced and richly textured palate with fruit notes repeating, a bit of oak and good acidity keeping it fresh. Finishes medium long with lots of blue fruit, a touch of heat and oak spice on the finish. Excellent Oakville Cabernet with plenty of life left as this is in its prime.

I think the Cab S. reflects it’s terroir and the fruit flavors are similar to its more famous next door neighbor. Maybe not the weight, refinement and density, but a lighter, nicely balanced version.

If you like and are buying Oakville Cabs, you should buy these. No better value and less guilt on opening one for a casual dinner too.

Placed my first order today. Only offered 3 CS and took them all. Looking forward to trying the wines!

1 Like

Had the same 2/6 allocation. Took two of each.

Yup, 2/6 here as well. Think last year I had a 3/3 allocation.

In for 3. Looking forward to these.

PSA-K&L has the 2018 Cab Sauv for $100.

In for 2 and 2.

1 Like

I went in on the 2/6, the wine does not disappoint.