Recommendations for Mosel Producers

Which vintage did you stop liking them. 2011 was good IME.

Well before that. 2002 was the last outstanding Christoffel vintage IMO.

I have not found them worth pursuing since 2013. 2012 was good, but should have been great.

Well before that. 2002 was the last outstanding Christoffel vintage IMO.

I have not found them worth pursuing since 2013. 2012 was good, but should have been great.

I usually enjoy Christoffel but agree different vintages produced different results.
2006 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett was one of my favorite Kabinetts from the 2000s.

Not on my radar anymore. Had some lovely older bottles from the 80s and 90s though.

Very educational thread for those of us newer/less experienced with Mosel Riesling. Schloss Lieser is made by Thomas Haag, right? Any relationship to Fritz Haag (whose wines I’m not familiar with)?

Fritz is run by Thomas’ brother Oliver. Both great chaps. Father is Wilhelm, who made great wines.

Otto, in fairness, I don’t think the intent was to slight you. The point is simply that many of the producers suggested lean to the dry side and (given the OP’s indication for kabinetts and spatlesen) it would have been useful to provide some additional background / guidance relative to your suggestions.

+1

Probably not - I just found it odd when there are comments saying my suggestions are for people who prefer leaner and more austere style of wine, when I was thinking of wines mainly from the sweeter end when coming up with my suggestions (Van Volxem and Vollenweider mainly the exceptions). Just trying to explain my position here!

The point is simply that many of the producers suggested lean to the dry side and (given the OP’s indication for kabinetts and spatlesen) it would have been useful to provide some additional background / guidance relative to your suggestions.

I simply assumed if somebody prefers sweeter Rieslings and wants to check out my suggestions, they’d understand not to go specifically after the trocken wines even without guidance!

David and I will never agree on closures, but I greatly respect his take on producers and the quality of the wines. I have not had a Christoffel in many years because of the closure issue- and would have to defer to his feelings on quality and strike it from my recommend list.

A shame- I loved the pronounced blueberry cream note in his wines. Most distinctive. What happened over there David? Looking back, aside from some possible mid-2000s trade notes I might still have in my unorganized pile, I think 01/02 was the last time I had a good comprehensive tasting of the wines at release.

Tom.

I would agree- only left them off the list because they can be very difficult to find in the United States. I find them a bit lighter and more floral in youth than Fritz Haag, but with the same intense underlying tension and acidity.

Tom, I am surprised you have difficulty finding them. They are imported by Rudi Wiest. http://www.rudiwiest.com/estates/schloss-lieser-estate-mosel-saar-ruwer-germany/

I ordered the Spatlesen and stickies in 2017 via my primary retail source (which buys through Rudi), and so fingers crossed- order not yet confirmed. Prior to that, never saw them in Texas and only ever got them on occasion from Crush. Could just be a case of them selling through quickly where distributed.

Texas is a weird place for Riesling. Some producers we get in ridiculous quantities, and some we hardly see at all- even across the same importer.

https://bassins.com/search_results.php

Thanks for the very informative post, Tom. Do you have any strong preferences on when you drink the wines from the 4 producers you most closely follow? In terms of how long after the vintage (I know this depends on the vintage too) for the different pradikat levels. Where do you think the “sweet spots” are for drinking some of these wines? I know this is subjective but I’m interested in hearing your preferences.

Hi Tom and David, regarding JJC the last real vintage for me was 2000. 2001 and 2002 were good, but by then Monchoff had purchased the estate. Tom, Lieser’s 2017 GKA’s are stunning.
Cheers,
Dale

2001 at JJC still had full involvement from Hans-Leo.

Honestly- I am still experimenting with this. 2007 was the first vintage where I really got into German wines and also purchased at the auctions (though in my early wine days I enjoyed a lot of 1990s Muller-Catoir and Von Schubert wines- but in their youth). I have done some back-filling (very carefully since provenance is tricky with older German wines as many sat on retail shelves for a long time back then), but 2001 is about as far back as I go with very few exceptions.

Very generally I am finding that 10-12 years is a good general barometer for Spatlesen, and a bit longer for Auction Spatlesen from the bigger vintages.

For Auslesen and GK Auslesen, right now I am thinking 15-20 years, and again a bit longer for the Auction wines in the greater vintages. In 2017 I opened a half bottle of 2008 Prum Graacher-Himmelreich Auslese GK Auction, and while it was beautiful, it took hours to really start building and was still on its way up when we finished the half bottle.

That is another point- I have found that unlike with most other wines, when Mosel Rieslings are shut down they are often just very faint- almost watery at times. And then the longer they are open- the more they come out of their shell. It is a very odd thing. With a Bordeaux or Burgundy that is shut down, usually the full volume is there- but the wine is closed. And with airing it may or may not come out. With Riesling, you see nothing. A good Burgundy comparison would be Bonnes-Mares which can seem almost like a rose during its dumb phase, only to emerge years later with an explosion of aromatics and lacey fruit that was barely hinted at 5 years prior.

Eiswein are usually good from day 1 in my experience, and I have found they do not have the staying power of BA or TBA. Not usually anyway. On the rare occasion I buy Eiswein, I do so planning to drink them by the age of 25 or so.

BA and TBA seem like they can last forever- but are always approachable in some measure. I have never had one that was shut down. Sure, the full degree of future nuance is in hiding, but always I have found them jammy and decadent at all ages.

As for the 4 producers I noted as personal favorites- again still finding my way, but in the next year or two I plan to start testing out the Schaefer and Von Schubert 2007s and 2008s first, waiting a bit on Fritz Haag, and even longer on JJ Prum. Prum I think most definitely, on average, will take the longest to reach maturity, and I am finding Schaefer the most forgiving of being opened a bit too soon.

But even that is not a perfect strategy. Last spring I opened a 2001 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #12, and while it was performing nicely, I thought it needed a bit more time. Around the same time I had the Spatlese Auction and thought much the same. But then a few months ago I opened the Auslese GK #9 (the version that tends to have less botrytis but otherwise just as ageworthy usually), and it was completely mature- and from a vintage where some Kabinetts are still not quite ready. Still, it was not anywhere near decline, so my general guidelines above would have still served me well if I had held the #9 for a couple more years.

Thank you Dale and David- appreciate the feedback.

Thanks also for good word on the 2017 Schloss Lieser GKAs. I ordered 6 packs of each and hoping they come. Kind of a one-shot deal for me- 2017 is the last vintage for me in Germany when it comes to going outside of my usual fare.

Until Schloss Lieser becomes your usual fare [snort.gif]