Rest in Peace Hank Gillespie

RIP Hank - we miss you already. [cheers.gif]

Sad, sad tidings–my condolences to his family and friends.

RIP, Hank.

The number of condolences speaks in volume. I am sad to read the news. RIP. As long I am contributing to wine boards Hank Gillespie was an important voice.

Very sad to read this. While we never met, I have been reading his posts since I started participating in wine board discussions, and always enjoyed them. I found him to be a voice of reason and integrity. RIP.

I didn’t know Hank, either, but always saw a passing of the seasons, when Hank noted his upcoming return to Tucson or Alberta. Jon, Roger, and all of his friends here have my condolences for your loss.

Damn. I have had an email relationship w him for a decade and often “talked” about getting together–but never did. He kindled a jazz interest and once sent me some favorite tracks. This is so sad and such a reminder not to put stuff off. Damn. So sad for his wife and family, such a wonderful man.

Many of us never “meet,” though we know each other very well.

Rest peacefully, Hank.

so sorry to hear of his passing. I got the chance to enjoy wine with Hank in Tucson and he was a gentle, generous and knowledgeable person.

Hmmm…he will be missed.

Some pictures from a lunch bunch a couple months ago at my house. Hank was in good spirits and I really enjoyed talking about the wines with him and how he really wanted to get a great set of wines for a local charity event he and his daughter were involved in - which we helped him with! He was always soft spoken and had an energy of presence where everyone listened when he shared his thoughts… We’ll miss you Hank. He is on the far right in the top picture and far left in the bottom picture - a tall man for sure.
Hank#2.JPG
Hank#3.JPG

Thanks for posting the pictures. It’s always so nice to put a face to the posts, especially after reading them as long as many of us have read Hank’s posts (here and elsewhere).

A sad loss, indeed. Wishing comfort for all his close friends and family.

Andy

RIP Hank. While we never had a chance to meet, I always enjoyed his contributions here.

Echoing so many of the comments. Hank was truly a gentleman. Someone whose comments you didn’t take lightly. A jazz lover extraordinaire, who this past summer burned me a great CD of Joanne Brackeen’s Live at Maybeck, which I loved and will now treasure. A man who loved wine, and loved Burgundy. A man of class and distinction. A man who cared about the things that matter - family, friends, engagement. A man who will be missed.

Shocked! :frowning: My condolences. May the next Tuesday lunch be full of Hank’s favorite wines, and memories!

RIP

Always the voice of reason, I always remember Hank trying to mediate the raucous exchanges in the ebob heyday.

Rest In Peace Hank, you will be missed.

I am sorry. I never met him face to face, but we corresponded both on and off of the boards. He was generous with his knowledge and I am sure even more so as a person.

Dan Kravitz

I am truly in shock. Just emailed with him about his shoulder rehabilitation. Never met Hank in person but always wanted to do. What could be better than drinking Burgundy and talking hoops.

I am feeling pretty down as I got to know Hank when he opened his wine store here in Edmonton in the `80s. He was a very caring man who always asked me how things were going along in my life. He turned me onto Burgundy without being pushy and he had some great staff. Hank, I will miss you. RIP.

This picture is taken in the basement of the Wine Cellar. I will remember Hank when I visit tomorrow and sit for a few minutes in remembrance.

Immensely sad news to read. RIP Hank.