Restaurant Wine List Help

hey -

curious what people would choose from this list. thanks in advance for the suggestions…you have only four rules:

1. your budget is $500 (before tax)
  2. only one bottle
  3. standard format
  4. no dessert wine

http://bucket.trurestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/Winelist-1.14.17.pdf

Just you and Summer celebrating your birthday or will others be joining?

HDH auction this weekend…

That was my next guess. :confused:

Tenuta San Guido
Sassicaia

Ridge Vineyards
Monte Bello
Santa Cruz Mountains 1990

Sine Qua Non
:male_sign:

I likely would not do it, but if someone gave me $500 and I could only use it for wine, would likely go with one of the following:

Top choice:

1986 Gruaud Larose at $480, so slightly over with tax. Excellent wine.

And thus under $500 with tax:

1995 or 2001 Chave Hermitage
1990 Leoville Barton
1989 Jaboulet La Chapelle

With my money - you know, poor country lawyer money - I’d be tempted to grab one of these:

2003 Joguet Clos de la Dioterie

It’s a brutal list, but given those parameters I’d consider:

1996 Pernot BBM (overpriced, but fantastic and premox risk is on the restaurant)
1999 Jadot Chevalier-Montrachet (though from CT it looks like you’ve had it a couple of times, so maybe not)

1995 or 2001 Chave
1989 La Chapelle (a bottle in December was stunning)
1986 Gruaud-Larose (one of my favorite Bordeaux and, while overpriced, the best, and one of the only, Bordeaux on the list that falls within your budget)

BTW, I swear I hadn’t seen Alfert’s list when I compiled mine. I thought about the 1990 LB, but the Gruaud is better and I didn’t see any notes from Matt on it in CT.

i like the 1995 Chave idea quite a bit…

appreciate all the (private & public) advice so far!

Pretty decent pricing on recent Rousseau e.g. '10 Lavaux for $360 and '08 Mazis for $380, '05 Rouget Echezeaux $560, not sure how they’re drinking now though.

Edit - my '95 Chaves have always had a hard edge and wondered if they’d ever open up, but I see folks on cellartracker having luck with them lately.

Good list. I’d probably go for Turley “Mead Ranch” Zin.

What crazy mark ups on a lot of the list. Offer them $500 for the 1990 Jean Gros Clos des Reas.

White
Lopez Heredia Viña Tondonia Rioja 1964 $500
Meursault Clos de la Barre Domaine des Comtes Lafon 1995 $475.

Red
Bonnes-MaresGrandCruRobertGroffier2005 $435
Aldo Conterno Bussia “Vigna Cicala” 1989 $505 ($5 over…)
Ridge Vineyards Monte Bello Santa Cruz Mountains 1990 $490
Pommard Les Vignots Leroy 1976 $500

1993 Jacques Prieur Clos de Beze

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Champers: Taittinger Comte 2006
Whites: Dagueneau Silex or Pur Sang, Lafon Clos de la Barre '95, Ramonet Ruchottes '99, Leroy Pucelles '99 (probably my top pick), Bouchard Chevalier '99, Sauzet Batard '00, Rayas '04, Chave '01
Reds: Meo-Camuzet Les Cras '08, Rouget Beaumonts (it’s only a little bit over budget :slight_smile:!), Rousseau Charmes, Dujac Charmes '07, Perrot Minot Mazoyeres '01, Rouget Ech '03, Chave '95 or '01, Alvaro Palacios l’Ermita '00 (we can crowd source the $12)

Cru is always such a crap shoot–food can be great, but also not so much. List has nice bottles, but not nice prices.
Might be tempted by the Pommard Les Vignots Leroy 1976 or the 01 Leroy Volnay Santenot. Not that I drink much Leroy other than the Bourgognes but this would be an opportunity.Both are well below “WS Pro,” as they say over on CC, fwiw.

2001 Domaine Leroy Volnay Santenots du Milieu $410.00- cheaper than retail.
I would double check to make sure it is the Domaine bottling

Would it be pedantic to enquire as to what one might be eating with this? I suspect my answer might differ between, say, Turbot or Roast Lamb.
One way or subdivide a wine list is with a certain dish in mind. Otherwise it can be a long read.
Or is the game to pick a wine, and food TBA?

Have you successfully bargained on a wine list before?