Restaurant Wine List Help

Lessona, Proprietà Sperino, 2004
Less than 200 $

For the guaranteed reservation at Big Bowl?

Doesn’t fit the price range but if I were eating dinner there and having a multi course tasting menu, I’d probably go with one of the 2013 Huets for under $100 or perhaps one of the Alsatians for under $150.

If Bordeaux, the 1986 Gruaud-L is in great shape now. Drank it some weeks ago (New Year dinner, TN posted). -Highly Recommended.

If it’s is a Burg, I would go for the 2001 Leroy “Milieu” - Assuming it’s the Domaine. Good age, very nice price, and super rare (sub 600 btls/year). Hard to find this gem again.
I drank the weaker 1997 “Milieu” some years ago, and it is the finest '97 Burg I’ve had. Dom. Leroy rarely disappoints.

-Søren.

It is interesting that several people are recommending 2005 upper end Burgundies. I have not had a single one at the level of wines that some are recommending that is anywhere near ready to drink (even my 2005 Truchot Bourgogne Rouge is still too young!!!). Could someone tell me why you would spend $500 to drink a tannic closed wine? This is not for putting away - it is for drinking.

I don’t get that either. Get something with a little bottle age .

Because I drink far more Barolo than Burgundy, so 2005 Burgundies taste sweet and ready to me.

1995 Chave was singing this time last year. Best showing to date.

White: Let restaurant play premox roulette. I’d probably go with the 2001 Leflaive BBM

Red: I would find the 1986 Leroy Corbeaux ($3 above budget) or the 2004 Rouget Echezeaux interesting options.

I’d be tempted by the 1976 Leroy, 1995 J. L. Chave or 1989 Jaboulet Aîné La Chapelle Hermitage

Good question for the somm, is something tannic and closed, or primary but still balanced? Other questions I ask might myself are what is the relative value with respect to market and release pricing, is it something I’ve wanted to try, and how hard is it to source otherwise? Also a lot of places lists thin out pretty quickly or get prohibitively expensive at 15-20 years of age for top names.

That’s the right choice. That’s a great Chave, IMO.

2002 Lignier CDLR is just over $500.

Leflaive BBM 01 or 02 (an extra $3 for the 02 should be ok, right?).

[initial suggestion deleted to reflect OP preference for single bottles (it was a double mag of 99 Cepparello)]

1990 Leoville Barton

Second the recs for clos des goisses, '90 ridge but I find the 89 La Chapelle to be maddeningly inconsistent.

(btw….$1,200 for 99 Palmer? Wow.)

Have fun and report back.

Young wines are drinkable, just different. The fact that tannic, rich red wines can’t be enjoyed young is one of those myths that mysteriously hang on. And any 2005 Burgundy is CERTAINLY drinkable now.

um pretty sure you can’t make friends with salad

Leflaive BBM 02. Have fun out there!