Retailer Ghosting Incident

Randy, FWIW I get this. What creates difficulty for me is the lack of communication.

often you see resolution from retailers being named cause friends of the retailer will see the outing and contact the retailer directly. It usually gets a quick response after that.

The lack of communication is unacceptable.

Not to feed a fed horse, so to speak, but I’d be very interested in where retailers think the responsibility lies for the mis-shipment described in in the initial post. Was it on me to review the shipping info; was it the seller’s responsibility? A shared responsibility?

I’m not trying to start a debate, but I’d like to be able to see this transaction fairly from both sides. How do the pros size this up?

Advance thanks to anyone who chimes in on this.

I once had a fedex shipment that was rerouted from a depot when the UPS store would have taken delivery. Other fedex shipments had always been delivered.

Thanks Tom. I think we can all agree to beat up on the UPS office for being ungracious.

Unless, of course, there’s a UPS rep. lurking among us. [wow.gif]

I put that solely on the retailer. It wouldn’t have been a big deal, in my mind, if they had been in touch about how to resolve the situation. As a retailer, I think the seller’s lack of communication for as long as it has been is inexcusable.

The lack of comms is a huge problem, for me. I’d go nuts if someone on our team left a customer dangling without intel in a situation like this.

Not to sidetrack this discussion, but does no one else see this as a problem? Are UPS and Fedex so insecure that they are worried their employees might go berserk if they saw a package from their competitor in their facility? A little perturbing.

It’s also curious that Fedex didn’t just hold the package at their nearest hub and notify you, but that’s a different issue.

Anyway, hope it all gets resolved, this just caught my eye.

When a third party shipper is used, especially with temperature controlled trucking, the final delivery company used is oftentimes determined by specificities of different states.

Switching companies can lead to those random changes - have had it happen.

And yes, Alan, these companies can be pretty pretty. . .

Cheers.

Funny as hell coming from one of the people who aggressively defended PC whenever anyone raised questions about their business practices.

Ian,

Given the time elapsed, I would email once more, threatening to contact your credit card to dispute the charge , however far back it is. If he doesn’t answer in a couple of days (tell him that’s how long you’ll wait), I would call your credit card, tell him you’d done so, and proceed to out him here. I share your impulse to try to solve things amicably, but the issue is that the retailer isn’t contacting you and isn’t allowing an amicable solution.

Absent specific instructions from you (i.e. ‘always ship UPS’ or ‘DO NOT ship FedX’) I don’t know how a retailer is supposed to know about any specific arrangements on the delivery end. Stuff happens, I don’t see it as anyone’s responsibility, but more like an unforeseen wrinkle in the process. To me, shipping companies are (or at least should be) rather fungible.

Agreed Chuck. But you know what’s better is shipping ADDRESSES being fungible. That the UPS/FedExs of the world won’t deliver to each other is beyond stupid. They got my money to do the delivery; what more do they need?

I agree on not calling out the retailer yet. But, if this does not work out, calling out the retailer is a warning to the rest of us and not just retaliation. How would you feel if 10 other board members get torched by the same retailer when you could have avoided it.

This. They need a little class, and to remember they serve their customer, not themselves.

This is where my instinct takes me, as well; I’d expected to discuss sharing the re-ship costs with him when he got in touch.

Thanks, Jonathan; a refund is better than nothing, of course, but my preference would be to complete the original deal, which represents some kind of a closed contract, I think - payment was made and accepted. I ordered wines I want in my cellar, and can’t replace them now at the cost I paid for them - one of them is completely unavailable now, as far as I can see. I appreciate your suggestion.

I’d prefer the wine if I were in your situation too. But if the retailer won’t respond to you, your first aim has to be to force a response and your second to be to plan what to do if you don’t get one.