Rhys 2016 Pricing

There was a 2014 Aeris Etna Bianco?

fred

Yes, it was offered in April. You need to sign up at aeriswines.com

Aha, that is the one shipping now. The 2015 hasn’t yet been offered for sale to me yet (at least I don’t recall seeing an offer).

fred

The 2014 was sold last April, was available for pickup in May, shipments to some states may have been held. The 2015 arrived in the US recently and had not yet been labeled as of last Sunday. They hand labeled a few bottles to pour on Sunday. FWIW, the Porcupine Hill Pinot was also showing very well that day.

-Al

Jesse, Alan is a good resource to lean on as a reference point. His point about taut and mineral in interesting, too. I found the 2015 to show that quality and the 2 bottles I had of it so far, the 2015 really impressed me. I have several pending shipment and plan to retaste it once it can get here. I do think the 2016 is fantastic too, although my 2 experiences with it didn’t suggest to me it had the level of flinty component that I found in the 2015. FWIW, some TNs below, which you may have already seen in CT, given your comment. I offer them to help round out Alan’s remark to you. I’ll be buying the Bear Chard for sure, as I plan to have it be something I add year over year to my cellar, for sure.

• 2016 Rhys Chardonnay Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (8/5/2018)
    This was my WOTN last night. At this stage, there is some oak imprint that appears in the wine, which are some toasty barrel aromatics and some vanilla bean. It wasn’t distracting but it’s there enough to remind me this wine is still young. Once past this youthful wood is a delicious palate of medium weight, bright acidity from the lemon and spicy yellow apple. The finish is lively, driven by the imprint of the acidity. I remain very encouraged by both the Rhys and Rivers-Marie chardonnay from Bearwallow and I am glad that this partnership is continuing as this is chardonnay I want for my cellar.
  • 2016 Rhys Chardonnay Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (7/25/2018)
    July 2018 Rhys Visit–Taste The 2016s (Rhys Estate (At The Winery)): It shows the lemon peel that is part of the 2016 Alesia Anderson Valley, so if you like this aspect (as I very much do), than you can find that here, too. And to affirm the thinking that vineyard designate wines (like this Bear) should be a step-up from the declassed version (Alesia AV), well it really is: there is more polish and the finish really lengthens in this Bear. The purity of the lemon is on display here, along with some anise and a precise focus of flavor. Light flint infuses both the core of the wine and the finish, and it reminded me of the tactile impression that I got recently while in the Montagne of Champagne. Like the 2015, this is another good year for Bear Chard and I believe now we’re starting to see what Bear Chard can be.
  • 2015 Rhys Chardonnay Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (10/1/2017)
    Rhys @ My Place–Part 3 (My House In The South OC): First wine of the day, many will be tasted as part of our Rhys backyard event. This is the only white open right now, no one is here yet so I figured I’d dive in. I tasted this last at the winery in July, and it was good then. This time, it’s lights out. I opened this bottle 3 hours ago, just left the cork in it. It has a light chill. Expressively flinty aromatic, with green apple too. What is most notable this time is the saline component in the finish. Intense. Pear, green apple, maybe a kiss of caramel, and I say a kiss because of the past discussions about oak in the earlier Rhys Chards. From what is in this bottle, there ain’t oak perceptible oak here. The finish is showcased by lemon peel, light grapefruit. This is an excellent, intense bottle of Chard that hits me just right.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m passing due to lack of room in my cellar (and off-site storage), not due to the price. I love the Syrah, and would also max my Skyline pinot had I the space to store it. I’ll enjoy drinking down the current stash.

Cheers,
Warren

Alan, Frank,

Thanks very much! Two palates i have come to trust, combined with your diligence taking notes, always makes for very helpful guideposts.

For what its worth, I too found the 2015 fairly taut and mineral (though that’s not to say the 2016 won’t be even moreso). What I recall is a touch of flinty reduction on the nose, and piercing, piercing lemon for me upon tasting. A bit reminiscent of some Lamy or Boisson Meursault i’ve had. Both of your references to intensity are spot on. It was so intense, in fact that i set the half bottle aside for a few days while i finished a slightly more tame 2014 white burg. From your notes on the 2016 having a purity of lemon, it sounds like 2016 is more of the same. Count me in.

Jesse

They just updated the offer to include the Alesia,
Santa Cruz Pinot
Anderson Valley Chardonnay

Regretfully, I think I’m finally at the end of buying new Rhys Pinot releases.
At these price points, I can acquire Burgundy with some age to it.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Rhys Pinots have an aging curve of a fine Red Burg.
Therefore, given I’ll soon turn 69 yrs old, it doesn’t make sense for me to continue buying new vintages.
For you younger whipper-snappers, I firmly believe these wines will turn into something special given the 10-25 yrs it will take for them to peak.
Especially the Mountain Vineyards.

The Chards are still on the table as they age rather quickly.

TTT

Paul - that is an interesting comment on the chards - I recently pulled a 2010 Alpine Chard and it was definitely on the downslope - very flat and marzipan dominated the short finish - perhaps a bit oxidized as well. I was a bit surprised as to how advanced it tasted. I am going to try and dig out another one from my cellar and compare to see if this was just a one-off. I have not had a similar experience with other Rhys chards but then I usually drink these rather early.

Greg

A recent 2010 Horseshoe was also tired and oxidized.

I’ve found they need to be drunk early(er). I think I had a 2010 also that was on the downside too (have to search notes to see which one).

My experience has been the 2010’s are an outlier. Every other vintage I have had has shown very well with no risk of decline anytime soon. Am I going to cellar them for 15 years…no…but 6-10, absolutely.

The Chards are delicious young. I see no reason to age them at all.

I agree with what Russ. The 2010 Chards are early agers (I even think Kevin has said as much).
To me all the other Chardonnays have been great with age. A 2008 a few months ago was superb. I think all the recent vintages (2012 to present) will last a long time.

I have an 08 Alpine I look forward to tasting and reporting on soon.

Recently was fortunate enough to attend a single blind vertical of the following.

2004 Rhys, Santa Cruz Mountains (14.6%): Although not labeled as such, this wine is 100% Alpine Vineyard Chardonnay.
2006 Rhys ‘Alpine Vineyard’, Santa Cruz Mountains (14.2%)
2007 Rhys ‘Alpine Vineyard’, Santa Cruz Mountains (13.7%)
2009 Rhys ‘Alesia’, Santa Cruz Mountains (13.0%): This is a blend of Alpine and Horseshoe Vineyard grapes.
2010 Rhys ‘Horseshoe Vineyard’, Santa Cruz Mountains (13.4%):
2011 Rhys ‘Alesia - Alder Springs Vineyard’, Mendocino (13.2%)
2012 Rhys ‘Alpine Vineyard’, Santa Cruz Mountains (13.3%)
2014 Rhys, Anderson Valley (13.2%)
and the ringer
2009 Darnat-Jacquinet, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (13.5%) - no tasting notes available

My WOTN was the 2009 Alesia followed by the 2012 Alpine. To me the 2004 was super golden yellow and well over the hill but was #1 wine for at least one taster but last place for me. The 2006 and 2007 were holding up better but for my palate but IMO the newer ones were drinking better. I think it depends what you like. I learned that I’ll be drinking mine within 5-10 years of release.

Sean

I can’t disagree with your drinking window.

TTT

Kevin, your comments on 2008 Produttori put it more prominently on my radar, for which I’m grateful. Maybe you can avoid burning bridges but still provide your thoughts on only wines that impress?

As for Rhys pricing, it seems about right for the quality IMO. I’d rather have good appellation wines with vineyard designate wines that are the best they can be, and do bottle cost averaging based on what I feel comfortable with. So I’m happy with this latest move. Personally I’d go deeper on purchases if not for a cellar diversification goal.

Is it correct to assume the Rhys wines were all chards?